Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Saturday, Sept. 24 - A SEO Checklist for New Sites

I just noticed the time and Saturday is almost over according to my time zone. Let's get to the SEO Tip of the Day before it's Sunday. lol

From the SEOmoz blog:

A SEO Checklist for New Sites - Whiteboard Friday

Quote:
Over 160,000 new top-level domains were registered yesterday. 160,000! This huge volume of new sites being birthed wasn't unique to yesterday; this happens every day (you can check out today's progress at DailyChanges.com). The sites that start out pre-optimized and that continue optimizing immediately after publishing will be at an incredible advantage over those that were made without SEO in place from the get-go. Of course, there's a lot of work to be done for a new site, and it can be hard to remember everything and prioritize work. This week, per PRO member request, Rand presents an SEO checklist that SEOs can use when optimizing new sites.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/an-seo-ch...teboard-friday

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 09-25-2011, 04:37 PM
V7N Administrator

Thumbs down SEO Tip of the Day - Sunday, Sept. 25 - Controlling Your Focus

Most small business owners and webmasters get a little bit ADHD about optimizing their website. They are trying to focus on so many things at the same time, that they end up focused on nothing at all. The fix for this is very similar to learning most anything in life.

In photography, in our excitement to photograph a river filled with wildlife, we focus on too much. At the end of the day we find ourselves with a bunch of similar pictures of the river, but very few focused on the story, the wildlife. We correct this issue by zooming in on a specific focus. We allow very little distraction from the actual subject we are shooting.

See in this photograph how even though you can see the water around the subject, and maybe even the minnows below the subject, there is very clearly one subject, one focus?

If you use this same concept on your website, you will see some serious improvements.

Your website is the whole picture, the river if you will, but the specific subjects, are each page of your site that make up the big picture.

Focus on one page at a time, making sure that each page is focused on a specific focus, a specific subject that the page is actually about. Yes, we will still see a bit of the back ground because of your navigation and related resources provided, but we will have no problem know what the page is about. Now we can proceed to work on the content of each page, along with the SEO one page at a time….

I hope this tip makes sense to someone besides me.
Attached Thumbnails
Learn Something New Every Day –V7N's SEO Tip of the Day-040.jpg  

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 09-26-2011, 11:53 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Monday, Sept. 26th Keyword-Level Demographics

Quote:
I’m not quite sure when the idea hit me—and hit me it did—but one day I realized that if you can pull a user’s data from Facebook and couple it with Referrers from Search the result is demographics at a keyword level!

It's a long and interesting article
http://www.seomoz.org/blog/keyword-level-demographics

Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Tuesday, Sept. 27th- How impressions are calculated in G-WM tool

Today's tip is really a tip . A small piece of information about how the impressions are calculated in Google webmaster tool.

Highlight of the question>>>
Quote:
My question is, is this calculated by SERP (your site appears in a SERP, you get 1 impression) or by URL (a URL of your site appears in a SERP, you get 1 impression)? I ask this because I have doubts of what happens if, for a search query, your site appears with multiple URLs; for example, if you search for "new york times" (http://www.google.es/search?q=new+york+times), you get a SERP with the first search result being the webpage of the New York times and under that 6 sitelinks to internal sections of that webpage. So, in this case, 7 URLs are showed in the SERP; will this count as 1 impression for the keyword "new york times", or 7?

Google employee (AsaphZemach) answered.
Quote:
You get one impression for each time a URL from your site shows up in the SERP with the caveat that sitelinks are not counted as separate impressions. For example for the query "panther" I get two wikipedia results, so wikipedia would see two impressions for that query.
In the example you gave about the NYT we would count only a single impression for the top level URL and no impressions for the sitelinks. If you clicked on either the top level page or one of the sitelinks, we would count that as one click for the top level page.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...54ca0a76&hl=en

Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Wed, Sept. 28th - Success Through Delegation & Integration

Todays SEO Tip is as follows:

SEO: Success Through Delegation & Integration

Quote:
I’m a big fan of delegation – at least that’s what my last review decided. We are forever talking in SEO about how best to integrate SEO activity with the work of other departments, from PPC to display to social media to PR.

Everyone would love their job to be a little bit easier, especially in SEO.

If you’re an in-house e-commerce manager or SEO with little budget and time, what are the other departments you need to be best friends with in order to get them to do your job for you? Well, here is a list and the reasons why:
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...on-Integration

If you would like to post a response about this blog post, please post a comment on the blog itself or create a thread in our SEO section linking back to this blog post.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Thurs., Sept. 29th - Managing Your Own SEO [Basics]

For some reason i thought it was Friday but it's only Thursday.

I have a Tip for today.

Quote:
There are hundreds of search engine optimisation (SEO) companies out there but chances are, you’ve made the move to handle your own SEO. I made the same decision, being fairly knowledgeable about the web already. I have to say, if you’re willing to find out exactly what’s involved, it’s relatively straightforward and can save you a lot of money. If that’s something you’re short of, you’re making the right decision too. However, if you’re churning out a decent profit but struggling to fit everything in, your SEO is really something that should be outsourced if possible. Here are just a few tips to get you started.
Continued at: http://dailyseotip.com/managing-your...o-basics/1892/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day - Fri., Sept. 30th - Link Building vs. Link Attraction

So we all strive for incoming links to our site or blog, happy when we check our incoming links and see them increase.

But how effective are they? Did you go hunting down places to leave your link or are they natural incoming links because someone found your page or blog post useful and wanted to spread the word?

Quote:
Theoretically, and largely in practice, links are where humans identify relevance page to page because if they like it, they will link to it. Many businesses, however, have had to develop links “unnaturally” by relying on proactively creating backlinks or — gasp — paying for links. Some have resorted to spammy techniques in order to obtain a quantity of links on the cheap. It turns out that spam is a really good way to annoy a webmaster (and Google or Bing), and it won’t help your reputation. To do link building the right way, you have to get personal.

I’m suggesting that you focus on link attraction rather than rely solely on link building. If you generate awesome content and then promote it, you’re going to attract natural links. In effect, if you develop really compelling material, links will follow as the content gets shared. That’s link attraction. It’s really quite simple, and it serves as one more very strong case for taking care to publish magnetic content. The process of promoting and distributing your content gives you an edge in link building because in those cases it’s reaching a targeted audience that will be compelled to share your page by linking to it from their site.
Link Building vs. Link Attraction

Patience, hard work and perserverance are the name of the game for long time results when link building.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Sat., Oct. 1st - What Is SEO / Search Engine Optimization?

Getting back to some basic's of SEO.

There has been a few threads in which people was asking "what is SEO?" "I want to learn SEO?".... Todays SEO Tip of the day has some basic information and other resources for you to read to hopefully learn a few things. This past week there was another panda update and of course it messed up a lot of peoples lives.

Quote:
SEO stands for “search engine optimization.” It is the process of getting traffic from the “free,” “organic,” “editorial” or “natural” listings on search engines. All major search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing have such results, where web pages and other content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users. Payment isn’t involved, as it is with paid search ads.

Start With A Movie!

New to SEO? Why not take three minutes and watch our video introduction to search engine optimization? It’ll quickly cover the basics:
There is more to read besides watching the video.

Blog post continued at: http://searchengineland.com/guide/what-is-seo

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Sun., Oct. 2nd - Cheat Sheet Basics for International SEO

Sure looks like the weekend is going to end really soon. For the folks who live outside the USA, it might even be 0ct. 3rd right now. Here is todays SEO Tip.

5 Cheat Sheet Basics for International SEO
Quote:
The growing Global Economy has significantly increased the number of companies seeking search marketing strategies to connect with target audiences all over the world. Many clients we work with at TopRank Online Marketing are either already global organizations or aspiring to deliver products and services in different countries. As a result, we routinely field questions as clients begin their journey into International Search.

Many companies don’t know where to start with International SEO, so here are 5 basic and tactical SEO considerations for companies looking at expanding into International Search:
Continued at: http://www.toprankblog.com/2011/09/i...search-basics/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Mon., Oct. 3rd - 7 Steps Toward Google SERP Domination

I was going to mention "good morning" but it's past 7pm in my neck of the woods. Here is todays SEO Tip.

7 Steps Toward Google SERP Domination

Quote:
Once upon a time, search engine results consisted of 10 site listings as well as the occasional 1/3/7 pack of local listings. Then we saw the progression of search results with the introduction of universal search. This consisted of shopping, images, video, news, and book listings.

Within the last year or so we've begun to see local listings integrating with site listings, as well as the display of ratings and additional site data via rich snippets usage.

While many of us do a good job staying tuned to SEO to help garner an optimized Google SERP presence, many sites still don't take advantage of the needed steps to gain an edge in Google's SERPs.

"Hand-feeding Google, Covering your SERP Assets" discussed how you can best feed your content to the search engines. Now let's explore how to optimize these assets with seven things you need to mind if you want to potentially lift your Google SERP visibility.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...ERP-Domination

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Tues., Oct. 4th - Low PageRank & Bad Spelling

Here is yesterday's SEO Tip. Sorry but i forgot about updating this.

Google: Low PageRank & Bad Spelling May Go Hand-In-Hand; Panda, Too?

Quote:
If your website and/or web pages have low PageRank, it’s possible that they also suffer from poor spelling and grammar.

Google’s top spam cop, Matt Cutts, made the correlation between low PageRank and poor spelling in a Google Webmaster Help video just made public today. In responding to a question about whether spelling and grammar matter

“We noticed a while ago that, if you look at the PageRank of a page — how reputable we think a particular page or site is — the ability to spell correlates relatively well with that. So, the reputable sites tend to spell better and the sites that are lower PageRank, or very low PageRank, tend not to spell as well.”

Here’s the full video; those comments above come at about the :30 mark
Visit this link for the full story and video: http://searchengineland.com/google-p...relation-95821

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Wed., Oct. 5th - Social Share Buttons Impact Your SEO

Now back on track with Todays SEO Tip.

How Social Share Buttons Impact Your SEO

Quote:
If you look right above this post next to the author byline you’ll see a row of widgets (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, email and ShareThis). These little social share buttons are actually a critical component of my content promotion campaign, and they should be part of yours! Social share buttons allow your readers to submit your content to their favorite social networking or social bookmarking site without ever having to leave your blog. Essentially, social share buttons allow your readers to promote your content for you. However, a recent BrightEdge report shows that about half of the largest 10,000 sites don’t display any kind of social sharing link or buttons at all.
Continued at: http://www.searchengineoptimizationj...share-buttons/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day - Thurs., Oct. 6th - Stop Trying Every Trick in the Book

There are all kinds of ideas around to improve the SEO (search engine optimization) of your site or blog but when you try all these different tricks/suggestions you don't know which worked and which didn't.

Take it slow.

Work on the on-site SEO and content of your site first. Why? Because going on a promotion or link building rampage isn't going to do you any good if:
  1. The content isn't what the audience you are targeting or promoting to wants to see.
  2. You are not going to earn natural (organic) incoming links from the visitors (see point 1).
  3. If you earn some organic links and the search bots pick up the links then come to visit, if the content isn't very good or your on-page and on-site SEO is terrible they don't have anything good to evaluate and store away in their databases.

Success takes time and your success can be clouded if you try too many things at once.

You will see lots of threads in the forums where people have tried this or that but it didn't work. Why didn't it work? Because they rushed into the promotion stage of building their site without completing the first stage of their site's development properly.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Friday, Oct. 7th - Local SEO Checklist for New Sites

Fridays SEO Tip is a whiteboard Friday tip from SEOmoz.

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago, Rand went over his general SEO checklist for new websites. It's a great resource to reference and help give your site that initial advantage other new sites don't have. Keep in mind, though, that there are other factors at play when trying to rank in the local results specifically, and in many countries, like Peru, targeting local results is one of the best ways to start ranking. On this week's Whiteboard Friday, Rand outlines some of the specific strategies and actions you can take to target local SERPs specifically (though many of these strategies apply to general SEO as well
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/local-seo...teboard-friday

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Sat., Oct. 8th - Avoid Numbers in Your URL

Finally the weekend is upon us. Sit back and read this blog post while sipping on a hot cup of coffee or tea.

Quote:
While linkbait posts aren’t as popular as they once were, top 10 lists have been popular ever since Moses came down from the mount with his top 10 list of “thou shalt nots.” Magazines like Rolling Stone will always have top 500 playlists and AFI will always have top 100 movies lists. However, as a responsible publisher, marketer, and SEO with an eye for evergreen content, there are more responsible and better long-term URL options you can make for “top 10″ and list style posts than using a number in the URL.

Let’s take the following examples:
Continued at: http://www.wolf-howl.com/seo/avoid-numbers-your-url/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Sun., Oct. 9th - Successful SEO Tactics: Reporting & Analytics

Good Sunday afternoon. Here is todays SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
As we close out our four-part series on the SEO Tactics chart, we touch on the most powerful of all of the pillars – measurement, reporting, and analytics. This is the subject I’m most passionate about as it lies at the core of a solid organic strategy and ultimately the long-term success of an organic program.

It’s striking that there is still such casualness when it comes to the discipline of SEO. There are still a remarkable number of companies that can’t differentiate organic traffic from direct load and referring traffic.

If you’ve managed or been close to paid search campaigns you understand the degree to which measurement and analysis impacts successful efforts. One of the first pieces of advice I give to clients and colleagues is to apply this same mindset to organic search.

Data is useless. Insight, and then action, is the key to advancing your program. This article will highlight some of the more important, and underutilized, metrics that can help you find performance breakthroughs, as well as discuss exactly why it’s so critical that you get this part right.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...ting-Analytics

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Mon., Oct. 10th - Reverse Proxy and How Can it Help My SEO?

Mondays SEO Tip is as follows.

Quote:
Subdomains! The bane of many SEO-conscious organizations, there is an easy solution right under your nose.

By using subfolders in place of subdomains, you can unite your content under one domain. But What if two sites exist on two different servers? A reverse proxy can make the technical implementation quite simple. With that one change, the URL http://blog.slingshotseo.com/ becomes http://www.slingshotseo.com/blog/. By acting as a content broker, your master server acts as a proxy to the content of your other servers. Multiple CMSs, databases and even platforms can be used, while all appearing to come from the same domain.

Check out this infographic to see how reverse proxy technology can relieve your subdomain woes.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/what-is-a...it-help-my-seo

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Tues., Oct. 11th - The Value of Measuring Keyword Rankings

I wish this week would go by fast but it's only Tuesday. Check out the SEO Tip of the day below.

The Value (or Lack Thereof) of Measuring Keyword Rankings
Quote:
A recent discussion on Sphinn got me thinking about the value of keyword rankings in the overall scheme of measuring SEO performance. Do rankings matter? If so, should ranking reports be a part of the success metrics SEO's provide their clients?

There are a lot of ways to measure the success of an SEO campaign and rankings can be a relevant factor, but that should not be the only factor. Heck, I'm not even sure it's one of the top 5 most important measures of success! But instead of just yelling, "ranking reports suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" at the top of my lungs, let's look at how we can accurately measure the value of any particular keyword ranking. I think you'll find a lot more here than meets the eye.
Continued at: http://www.searchengineguide.com/sto...easuring-k.php

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-13-2011, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Wed., Oct. 12th - Google Unveils Dart to Compete with JavaScript

Here is yesterday's Tip. Sorry i forgot to update this thread. Got a lot going on right now.

Quote:
Developers beware, there's a new scripting language for client-side Web programming. Designed for quick prototyping and compatibility across multiple browsers and platforms, Google introduced Dart at the GOTO Conference this week. GOTO is an international software development conference that strives for independence from vendors.

Google hopes Dart will become a standard in every modern Web browser. Currently, every Web browsers utilizes built-in JavaScript interpreters for performing various actions within the Web Browser. These actions can include popping up windows, checking data in forms before submission, and creating interactive elements on a Web page like tabs and some interactive site navigation menus.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...n-All-Browsers

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - Thurs., Oct. 13th - SEO With A Mac

Anyone have a Mac or know a co-worker who use's one? Take a look at this blog post for tonights SEO Tip.

SEO With A Mac: Using Alfred App For Custom SEO Shortcuts

Quote:
If you use an Apple Mac computer, hopefully you've heard of Alfred. It's a very useful tool that allows you to navigate your computer with a couple of key strokes. In my case I use Alt + Space to load the Alfred search box.

Alfred lets you launch applications and perform searches very quickly—and if you buy the PowerPack for £12, you can control iTunes, navigate Finder windows, perform custom searches and more.

As I use Alfred more and more, I'm finding that creating my own custom searches saves a lot of key strokes, and get's me where I need to be, as quickly as possible.

Imagine this scenario if you will:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...lfred-app.html

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum