Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Fri., Oct. 14th - 3 Beginner SEO Tips To Succeed This Holiday

It's Friday!

You do know that the big holiday season is just around the corner and money is to be made online. With $$$ on your mind right now, you still need to focus on doing SEO on your website so it can be found in the search engines. Check out today's SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
Are you and your website prepared for the 2011 online holiday shopping season? As online shoppers and money spent online continue to grow in large numbers, website owners have to be more aware of how their website is performing and when it is not, they need to know why. Below are 3 beginner website SEO tips that every website and business owner should analyze more frequently, especially for the upcoming holiday season.
Continued at: http://www.dailyblogtips.com/3-begin...oliday-season/

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 09:52 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Sat., Oct. 15th-Tips to Create Stronger Trust & Domain Authority

I really hope that your weekend is going well. Before you run your errands, take a look at this blog post.

Quote:
Theoretically, websites do not get stronger by themselves, they need help. While aging a website is a factor for prolonged growth in rankings, today’s SEO tip shared below works by virtue of on-site evolution in tandem with elevated digital trust and authority (the real purpose of SEO).

The undeniable value of adding topical theme-relevant content is imperative for long-term positioning. Why, you might ask? Because as your website grows, your opportunity to raise your website’s SEO ceiling (the range of competitive keywords you can rank for by default/virtue of your websites trust, age and theme) shift and evolve concurrently.

For example, approaching SEO (without website authority), you might think of producing rankings the hard way (trying to rank before you have the clout and authority using links alone) vs. building authority and rankings emerging as if by default from the correlation of your on site optimization strategy with minimal off site dependency.

As a testament to this method,
Continued at: http://www.seodesignsolutions.com/bl...ain-authority/

Old 12-07-2011, 04:11 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Wed. Dec. 7th - Search Engine Algorithm Basics

Got a little tip for everyone.

Quote:
A good search engine does not attempt to return the pages that best match the input query. A good search engine tries to answer the underlying question. If you become aware of this you'll understand why Google (and other search engines), use a complex algorithm to determine what results they should return. The factors in the algorithm consist of "hard factors" as the number of backlinks to a page and perhaps some social recommendations through likes and +1' s. These are usually external influences. You also have the factors on the page itself. For this the way a page is build and various page elements play a role in the algorithm. But only by analyzing the on-site and off-site factors is it possible for Google to determine which pages will answer is the question behind the query. For this Google will have to analyze the text on a page.

In this article I will elaborate on the problems of a search engine and optional solutions. At the end of this article we haven’t revealed Google’s algorithm (unfortunately), but we’ll be one step closer to understand some advice we often give as an SEO. There will be some formulas, but do not panic. This article isn’t just about those formulas. The article contains a excel file. Oh and the best thing: I will use some Dutch delights to illustrate the problems.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/search-eng...gorithm-basics

Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Sun. Dec. 11th - 12 SEO Authority Building Tips

Thought i'd add this one up here.

Quote:
By now you know you need to focus on authority, your own, as well as relationships with other authorities. But what are the best strategies for developing authority?

From an SEO perspective, building authority only works if you have some sort of web presence for people to capitalize on. For the purposes of this column, it's assumed that you have a blog, a social media presence, or both. Actually, you want to have both, because blogging and social media can reinforce each other in powerful ways:
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...-Building-Tips

Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Thurs. Dec. 15th - 5 Signs Your SEO Stinks — And Ways To Fix em

Does your SEO stink? Check out this blog post.

Quote:
If you are working for your search engine marketing in-house, you probably know how, several aspects affect your skill to take your site to the peak of search engine ranking. If you have already outsourced your SEO to a company, you certainly know of how hard it really is (this is the reason of outsourced it), yet who knows of what this company is doing or what it ought to be.

If you are not pondering over these issues, you need to plan for the verbal or written discussion with that SEO agency or your Search engine marketing director.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/smelly-seo.html

Old 12-16-2011, 03:45 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Fri. Dec. 16th - Advanced On-Page Optimization

Thought i post another tip since i think this is a very good one for a Friday.

Quote:
In this week's Whiteboard Friday, Rand goes into depth on how you can optimize your on-page content. Presented here are five advanced tactics that get you thinking beyond the basics of traditional page optimization and set you up to start creating content that's both relevant and unique.

How do the phrases on your page relate to one another? Does your page content make your visitors happy? By moving beyond simply making sure those title tags are optimized and scattering a few keywords around, we can produce intelligent content that's not only engaging but gets better rankings too.

As promised, here is a....
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/advanced-...teboard-friday

Old 12-17-2011, 03:48 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Sat. Dec. 17th - 45 Minutes of Q&A with Matt Cutts

We love Matt Cutts so much, you can now spend 45 minutes hearing him talk. lol

Quote:
It is the weekend and that means you might have 45 minutes to be entertained and get great tips from the fabulous Matt Cutts. This video is a recording of a live Q&A on September 21, 2011. If you haven’t seen it you may want to sit back, relax and maybe take some notes.
Visit the blog post to get the video link.

Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/s...t-cutts/37865/

Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Mon. Dec. 19, 2011 - Think Footer Links Don’t Work? Think Again!

When Joost de Valk of Yoast investigated why Godaddy was outSERPing Yoast on a string of query terms, he found that the host was placing text links in the footer of customer websites – and gaining ground in the SERPs. But footer links aren’t supposed to work anymore, are they?

Quote:
Google has been telling us for quite a while now that footer links etc. are not that important. Well guess what, that's not true if you have enough of them. Using SearchMetrics I ran a report for the top keywords they rank in the top 3 for. Each and every keyword in there that is not their brand name, from website hosting to webhosting to website builder, to domain name registration and more: all of those landing pages have exact match anchor text links pointing to them. All coming from these types of domains, thousands if not tens of thousands of clients who are paying for a service, are unknowingly also helping GoDaddy's business by helping it rank.
Personally, I’ve never stopped using footer links on client sites and my own. I’m pleased to find confirmation that they work - though I don't believe you need thousands for them to be effective.

Read the entire post on Yoast’s footer link analysis.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed. 12/212011 - Outsourcing Link Building – A Workable Approach

Bob Jones, who runs a small Australian SEO company outlines his approach to managing an outsourced link building program: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/outsource-...ll-seo-company. The components:

Quote:

• An affordable person who is Internet savvy, knows how to use Google search operators, and knows how to send template emails.
• Several quality link resource websites, which are interesting enough as a link exchange offer for the website owners we approach.
• A free Google Apps account so we can use Gmail to send emails from one of our link resources domains. Allows people to log in from anywhere.
• Raventools Link Manager
Jones shares a gmail account with his link builders so that he can monitor their efforts; uses basecamp to keep communication lines open and provides his link builders with all the tools – the keywords, how to search for and cull the results for the right fit, the email templates, etc. Once his link builder has an interested webmaster on the hook, he follows up in house.

Don’t just read Jones’ excellent post (http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/outsource-...-seo-company); be sure to read the comments, too. Several commentators have asked good questions and Jones is very open in his responses.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs. 12/22/2011 -

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs. 12/22/2011 - Utilizing LSI when writing information for your site.

We all want to optimize our sites as much as possible, be it by making sure all the tags are correctly written, or the information we use lists all the required key phrases and used the right amount of times.

This is all good, but something that is VERY important in Googles eyes is LSI or Latent Semantec Indexing. Granted, nobody knows exactly Googles algorithm for spidering sites but what we do know is that Google have come pretty close to giving it that almost human feel.

LSI is basically a way of making sure your site information is NOT consantly repeating itself. For example, if you were to write about "dog training", then using the phrase "dog training" constantly may sound too repetative, so you would alter it around a little and say "training your dog", or "teaching your puppy" etc etc...

The idea is to make the article sound and read as smoothly as possible without repeating the main words as this is something that Google also look out for. That said, repeating it a few times within the article is fine to do... Roughly once in the first section, somewhere in the middle and once in the last paragragh is about the standard.

If you are not sure about the right words to use when using this method, then just keep a theasurus open in another tab, or, use an article spinning program, just to help with LSI and not for multiple article spins as believe it or not, Google are quite clever at working out which ones are spun also.

Use this method wisely and Google will love you

Last edited by G10; 12-25-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling mistake..

Old 12-24-2011, 03:22 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri. 12/23/2011 - Align Your Website for SEO Efficiency

Here is yesterday's SEO Tip of the Day.

Quote:
We know it when we see it. And it ticks us off.

Imagine if you were drawn in by the title of this article, only to find that it began:

SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, is vitally important to grow the number of hits your website generates through top search engines like Google. In order to optimize the attention your site receives through these search engines, you should execute key SEO optimization strategies which target keywords and phrases that will be recognized and liked by search engines.

You'd have hit 'back' on your browser by the time you were two sentences in.

In an online world where we so eagerly seek performance performance metrics to quantify the success of our websites, it's easy to forget the single most important thing we can do to ensure the popularity of our sites: create quality content and add to it consistently. We should certainly be mindful of SEO efforts, but they must not dominate our content to the point that our pages read like a repetitive machine-gun fire of single phrases or words.

So how do we strike a balance? How do we stay true to our calling to produce quality content but still ensure that our content will be seen by a Google visitor?
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...efficient.html

Old 12-25-2011, 12:37 PM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Christmas Day 2011 -Christmas, Karma & SEO

No matter what your faith, I have Christmas Wish for you: may you be struck with an Attitude of Gratitude and put it into action.

As a way to count my blessings today, I added links to the websites of 15 people (or sites) who have helped educate and keep me informed on SEO issues (see my blog for why I chose 15).

I encourage you to do the same for at least one webmaster or site you like. Link out to them from the best page you can find on your own site and don’t worry about a link back. Remember that what goes around comes around; your link out is good Karma! Not only that, it tells Google and the other search engines that you are part of that neighborhood.

Thanks in advance for the link love and gratitude you will give someone today!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

SEO Tip Of The Day 26 December 2011

SEO Tip Of The Day 26 December 2011

Let's come to the basics of On-Page SEO today!

When you are doing On-Page stuff remember to keep the things simple as possible. Make your website in simple block structure navigational links. If you have important landing page, remember the links above the fold or in start of the content having more value. As compare to links at the bottom of page or in footer. Same goes to your sidebars, links in side-bars have more value.

It is important when you create in-links structure prirotize your pages and link to them accordingly. When linking to your internal pages, consider linking out to valuable source. It is considered a very good practice. Thanks

Happy Holidays!!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip Of The Day: December 27, 2011 - Scripting SEO: 5 Panda-Fighting Tricks

Today's SEO Tip of the day is from the YOUmoz blog.

Scripting SEO: 5 Panda-Fighting Tricks for Large Sites

Quote:
For anyone that's experienced the joys of doing SEO on an exceedingly large site, you know that keeping your content in check isn't easy. Continued iterations of the Panda algorithm have made this fact brutally obvious for anyone that's responsible for more than a few hundred thousand pages.

As an SEO with a programming background and a few large sites to babysit, I was forced to fight the various Panda updates throughout this year through some creative server-side scripting. I'd like to share some with you now, and in case you're not well-versed in nerdspeak (data formats, programming, and Klingon), I'll start each item with a conceptual problem, the solution (so at least you can tell your developer what to do), and a few code examples for implementation (assumes that they didn't understand you when you told them what to do). My links to the actual code are in PHP/MySQL, but realize that these methods translate pretty simply into most any scenario.

OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER: Although I've been successful at implementing each of these tricks, be careful. Keep current backups, log everything you do so that you can roll-back, and if necessary, ask an adult for help.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/scripting-...ge-sites-14455

Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip Of The Day: Wed. December 28, 2011 - 8 Awesome Infographics That Drive

Ever want to be a link magnet? Myself, i tend to like looking at pictures. Ok, let's just get to the SEO Tip already snakeair.

8 Awesome Infographics That Drive Inbound Links (And Why)

Quote:
The best gift to give any SEO this holiday season is links! Seriously, if someone came to me and said Choose 1: $1,000 OR 10 PR 4+ keyword anchor links to your site, Id pick the links any day of the week! Because links are so coveted, more and more SEOs are turning to infographics as linkbait. Of course, infographics are not the Field of Dreams. If you build one, that doesn't mean the links are just going to come. To get links, you need to build Rigley Field, not a chain link fence and a dugout. In other words: most infographic designs out there are pretty awful. To get links, you need to marry great design with great concepts. Here are 8 infographic designs that will get you links and why they work:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...ographics.html

Last edited by snakeair; 12-29-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:31 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip Of The Day: Thursday December 29, 2011 - Website Checklist

Do you have a checklist? If you don't and don't know where to start then check out tonights SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
At the dawn of the internet websites were created without much thought as to what changes, if any, would need be made in the future. To keep your website relevant, gaining new links, keeping users satisfied and getting traffic from search engines, you need to have a maintenance plan. As with any maintenance plan small improvements performed regularly are better than large radical changes made infrequently.
Continued at: http://www.wolf-howl.com/seo/tips-ho...ite-checklist/

Old 01-02-2012, 12:57 PM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day, Jan. 2, 2012 - Throw Out Your Rich Snippets

The Trend Toward Schema And Away From Rich Snippets

This past year Google and Bing (which includes Yahoo results, of course) announced they would support Schema mark up, which – in a nutshell – creates a standardized format to communicate details about your website to the major 3 search engines. This standardization means one mark up for all search engines, and may well make Rich Snippets a thing of the past. If you haven't already started adding structured mark up to your site, Schema seems the way to go. Google does say that it will continue to support Rich Snippets.

Google has listed a few of the more popular types:

Some resources for using Schema:

Happy Schem(a)ing, Happy New Year!

Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Jan. 3, 2012 - Exact Match Anchor Text Dead? Then What?

In writing my latest blog post on what the year ahead holds for SEO, I asked the question: is Anchor Text going to become a thing of the past. I've seen more than one other SEO I trust predict that - and observe the trend is underway.

Setting aside the debate for the moment -- (though if you want to discuss it, I started a thread over here: Anchor Text Will Become Obsolete) -- if exact match anchor text effectiveness is waning, what strategy will build a profile that supports a page in the SERPs for a targeted search string.

Partial match is the easiest answer. If I want to rank a site for Key West fishing, I will seek links that use 'Key West' or 'fishing' alone. I would also go for longer tailed anchor text which contains all but not only my targeted term. Example: "Fishing Captain In Key West Captures Sailfish."

Clearly staying away from exact matches creates a more natural link profile.

Context will matter more, too, as anchor text loses power in Google.

See: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/beyond-ex...teboard-friday.

Advanced SEOs will want to read: http://www.seobythesea.com/2011/10/h...t-differently/.

Care to discuss the topic: http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...-obsolete.html.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Jan. 4, 2012 - Your Local SEO Checklist For 2012!

Let's get a little bit local in 2012. Nice simple blog post to read for some local SEO tips.

Quote:
Whether 2012 is the year you start marketing a local business from scratch or the year you get serious about learning how to use Local SEO to best advantage for a company that's been drifting in Local limbo for years, here is my must-do checklist for your success in Local!

Some of these tips may sound like no-brainers to you, but fora across the web are filled with business owners who have skipped steps in the Local learning process and are failing to get the results they want because of it. My advice: don't skip a single tip on this list!
Continued at: http://www.searchengineguide.com/mir...t-for-2012.php

Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day - Jan. 5, 2012 - Learn from Google +

Wondered how come those Google + accounts manage to rank at the top of the results? You can do this too!

Quote:
How has Google won so much real estate on their own search pages in such a short period of time? Do they cheat? No, not really - more on this later. Google wins by employing really smart Search Engine Optimization techniques – the same SEO practices available to any online business.

...Here's the takeaway: Use SEO to your competitive advantage, no matter your niche...
How Google+ Uses SEO to Steal Search from Facebook and Twitter - SEOmoz

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum