Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - March 22, 2012 - SEO Secrets, Tips & Tricks

This week is almost over and here is another SEO tip to think about.

Quote:
Whenever I go to a conference, or at least a dozen times a week by email, I get asked “What are some ‘SEO secrets’?” or “Hey–what keywords do you rank for, and can you show me some of your websites?” Until you have earned my trust, though, I’m really not going to show you anything. I made that mistake once and 3 months later saw a “clone” site from that person. It’s not that I’m a stuck up jerk and am not interested in helping people or paying it forward, because I really believe it’s a part of my role in the community. But there’s a difference between someone showing up at my door to ask for free food and someone asking, “Hey, can I go fishing with you so I can learn how to fish for myself?”

While I’m not a first generation SEO like Greg, Rae, or Todd, I have been been around a while, asked a lot of (sometimes stupid) questions, experimented and made a lot of small and awesomely catastrophic mistakes along the way, dabbled in the black arts, tried stuff and failed, and that’s how I learned. So much of what goes on today in the SEO community isn’t about asking questions, learning, and teaching; it’s about attention whoring, popularity contests, and SEO drama. Too many people are focused on...
Continued at: http://www.wolf-howl.com/seo/seo-secrets-tips-tricks/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - March 24, 2012 - Duplicate Content – Multiple Homepages

This is a good SEO tip for everyone to read and think about.

Duplicate Content – How Many Homepages Do You Have?

Quote:
Many site owners don’t quite understand when we tell them we found at least 6 versions of their homepage. And to be fair, it’s kind of unfortunate that search engines aren’t smart enough to consolidate obvious examples of duplicated homepages.

Here are the most common occurrences of duplicate homepages:

Example.com
Example.com/index.php (or .html)
Example.com/default.aspx
Example.com/home.php (or .html)
www.example.com
www.example.com/index.php (or .html)
www.example.com/default.aspx
www.example.com/home.php (or .html)

Even though you end up seeing the same content at all of these URL’s, they are unique URL’s that can each be indexed by Google, Bing and other search engines.

If your homepage will load (without redirecting) at multiple URL’s like the examples above, you have a...
Continued at: http://www.seo.com/blog/on-page-opti...ent-homepages/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - March 27, 2012 - Over-Optimization On Sites

I know there is a thread on this topic already but i'm going to mention this topic again anyways. Check out this blog post.

Quote:
Google Ninja Matt Cutts took the stage last week at SXSW along with Bing Master Algo Jedi Duane Forester. In this session Google’s Matt Cutts announced that it has been working on a new penalty that targets site’s that are overly optimizing for search engines. They have been working on this update for the past couple months. This is expected to go live in the next couple weeks/months. He also goes into Google Panda and some of the updates.

Below are some of the things that you can do to protect yourself from the Google Panda updates. I’m hoping that we at PPC.org will be safe, I’m pretty sure we will. We have millions of links coming back to us as well as very credible sources pointing to us on a daily basis. Here are a few things to help your SEO efforts in the future.

Signals to boost your 2012 SEO efforts:
Continued at: http://ppc.org/over-optimization-on-...-site-slapped/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - March 29, 2012 - Uncrawled 301s

Today's SEO tip is as follows.

Uncrawled 301s - A Quick Fix for When Relaunches Go Too Well

Quote:
A lot of things can go wrong when you change most of the URLs on a website with thousands or millions of pages. But this is the story of how something went a little too "right", and how it was fixed by doing something a little bit "wrong".

The Relaunch Timeline

On February, 28 2012 FreeShipping.org relaunched with a new design and updated site architecture.The site's management and developers were well-versed in on-site SEO issues and handled the relaunch in what many SEOs might consider "textbook" fashion. This included simultaneous 301 redirects from all previous URLs to their specific counterparts using the new URL structure. All internal links were
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/uncrawled...es-go-too-well

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - March 30, 2012 - The New On-Page Optimization

SEOmoz has a new blog post for there WhiteBoard Friday.

The New On-Page Optimization - Whiteboard Friday

Quote:
In this week's Whiteboard Friday, we are covering some advanced techniques that you can use to optimize your landing pages. The typical web user has evolved and it's important for web marketers to evolve with them. By taking a look at how the web has changed we can make more informed decisions on how to optimize our pages and maximize their impact.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-new-o...teboard-friday

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 3, 2012 - Best in Show: Tools for Building Links

Nice little SEO tip for this morning.

Quote:
If you’re anything like the Outspoken Media team, you use tools every day. Lots of them. We all have our favorites, and we like finding new ones to try out, but sometimes it’s helpful for someone to identify the good ones for you, and save you the time—and possibly money—you could spend trying them all out. And that’s what John Doherty is here to do.

John asks for forgiveness for his voice. He woke up with no voice, and now sounds like a 13-year-old going through puberty, and may squeak through his presentation. I’m suddenly reminded of Peter Brady. But, moving on!

John asks, Who thinks there are too many tools out there? Nearly everyone raises their hands. I would too, but I’m typing. Tools speed up...
Continued at: http://outspokenmedia.com/internet-m...uilding-links/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-04-2012, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 4, 2012 - Google March Updates

Google made some updates this past March. This will be todays SEO tip.

Quote:
Google’s latest round of search quality updates is now available, and — at the risk of sounding like a grumpy old SEO — this month’s seems even more difficult to grasp than normal. There are a lot of words in this month’s list of 50 changes, but it appears to me that there’s not really a lot of explanation.

So be it, though. The monthly updates are a welcome thing from Google’s search team, and they’re always good to get discussion and speculation going.

With that in mind, here are a few of the items that stand out to me on first perusal of Google’s blog post.
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/googles-...ch-more-117285

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 5, 2012 - Search Engine Spider Check Your Website

Good morning. I have a SEO Tip for today.

Quote:
If you want a website that works for both people and search engine spiders like GoogleBot, you have to spider check your work. It sounds obvious and simple, but if you don’t spider check your work – how do you know it works?

Search engine optimization or SEO is an environment where humans have limited visibility. There is definitely a limit on how much human eyeballs alone can see in terms of how the GoogleBot sees your website without actually spider checking your work on Google.

Search engine spiders like GoogleBot are robot software that crawl your website for ranking. Google says compared to humans, “Bots access pattern is completely different” – one of the greatest understatements in Google’s Webmaster Guidelines!

People tend to assume Google rankings are....
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2012/04/0...-top-rankings/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 6, 2012 - How to Stop Over Optimizing

Todays SEO tip is from SEOmoz blog.

Quote:
Is your website hurting because of over optimization? It's a question every SEO faces at one time or another. Over optimization penalties have been around for awhile, but Matt Cutts recently announced Google will soon crack down harder on sites that take SEO too the extremes. How do you know when you've gone to far? In this week's Whiteboard Friday, we explore what happens when certain SEO techniques stop delivering value, and when you should switch your strategy to more productive activities
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/stop-opti...teboard-friday

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 9, 2012 - Optimizing Title Tags For Search Engines

This is a good blog post to read. I looked at it at work earlier today. (Yes i was surfing the internet and not working for a little bit today)

Optimizing Title Tags For Search Engines And Social Networks: How To Find The Middle Ground

Quote:
So now how do you ensure that your web page is fully optimized for search engines and also ticks all the boxes of the social factor. The first point to consider is to work on your Title Tag (<title>) as this is what users first see when your web pages is ranked and also its one of the most important on page SEO element.

Generally when you share a page on social networks such as Facebook, Google Plus, and Twitter, the post displays the Title of the page, along with the description, and some images. As a website owner, its crucial that your title works for search engines and also increases engagement on social networks, encouraging your followers or your network to actually click on the post to read more.

Below are some practices and points to keep in mind when writing a Title Tags and finding the middle ground for both search engines and social networks.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...imization.html

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 10, 2012 - Why Links Matter

Here is Today's SEO Tip of the Day.

Quote:
Whenever I'm asked about what I do for a living, I say something like this: "you know those pieces of text that you can click on inside of a webpage, the ones that take you somewhere else? I place those."

Blank stare. Sometimes they respond with, "OK, but why?" That's a damn good question. The "why" behind the existence of links has been a bit more absent than it should be, especially for people who are new to the field.

Why Do Links Matter?

Hyperlinks were the main method of building the Internet and connecting sites through HTML, allowing people and bots to move around and find what they needed. They were like any other citations, methods of getting additional information by going somewhere else.

Contrary to popular belief,
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...y-Links-Matter

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 13, 2012 - Overcoming Your Winter of Dis-Content

This is a blog post from SEOmoz. I don't know about you but this winter actually was not that good. We didn't get enough snow for me to call in sick at work a lot. Anyways, enough talking about my poor winter and let's get to the Whiteboard Friday video.

Quote:
Are you and your content suffering from the blues after this long Winter? Well have no fear, warmer weather is here and it's time to overcome that winter of dis-"content". Today we will be talking about 5 ways to overcome the content fatigue you may be experiencing. After watching the videos, please share the ways you help keep your content fresh, unique, and successful..
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/overcomin...teboard-friday

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 16, 2012 - Visitor Intelligence in SEO & Marketing

It's Monday or should i say lazy monday?

Check out today's SEO Tip of The Day below.

Quote:
You’re a search engine optimization hero. You've done all of the requisite work to set-up and improve the health of your site's SEO. You've got the balance right, so that your site isn't over-optimized and free from risk of being penalized by the search engines.

Things are humming. You’re ranking for your target keywords, you've succeeded in driving traffic to your website, visitors are converting and leads are now sitting plentiful in your CRM.

Now what? How do you take your SEO to the next level?

Have you collected enough data about your visitors and leads to gain more insight on what is actually driving revenue? Do you know how valuable each visitor is? Do you have a standardized process to measure this?

Do you have some sense of how well you are targeting your search personas? Do you know how to segment and prioritize them?

If not, it may be too late to augment the data you've already collected. But it isn’t too late to....
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...-SEO-Marketing

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 17, 2012 - Keeping Your Content Fresh

Google is hungry for fresh content. Today's SEO Tip is below.

Quote:
In November 2011, Google announced that they updating the algorithm to provide more up-to-date information for searches based on freshness needs

Recent (or fresh) content would populate more of the search results for various search queries because users are always looking for the most current information. For instance, when someone searches for Olympics right now, chances are they are looking for information about the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, mot the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. The freshness update was designed to give searchers the newest and most relevant content.

From an SEO standpoint, this freshness update was a big wake-up call to many companies that were having a hard time seeing the value of a strong and consistent content marketing campaign. Websites that are routinely publishing new and relevant content are giving the search spiders a reason to...
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...h-content.html

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 19, 2012 - On Page Optimization Tips for Local Businesses

Some onpage Tips for local businesses. This should be helpful to a few people.

Quote:
You get a call from your brother in law's second cousin who happens to be a local taxidermist in your area. He wants to know why he isn't ranking for "taxidermy in Takota" and you have an hour to talk to him about his website. What do you talk about? What kind of friendly SEO advice would you give?

The good news is that ranking locally is infinitely easier than ranking regionally or nationally.

It all starts with understanding how to optimize your website….aka on page optimization.

Keep On Page Optimization (And Design) Simple

It's not voodoo science. And it isn't even that hard, really. Basic SEO is 1 part knowledge and 2 parts...
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...iness-seo.html

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 20, 2012 - 14 Search Tools to Bookmark

It's my birthday today.

Check out today's SEO Tip of the day from this old man.

Quote:
Here are some really useful tools, some of which you will use every day, if you aren't already. Exercise some critical judgement though: a tool is only as good as it's data – so take a moment to check if the data is believable, and to think about other sources you can cross reference against.

Search Engine, Browser and Device Stats

I've written before about sources of this data but the one tool I come back to again and again is StatsCounter – there's data on...
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...ls-to-Bookmark

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 23, 2012 - The Hierarchy of Web Presence Optimization

Good Monday morning. To start off the week, please check out this SEO tip of the day.

Quote:
Much has changed in the SEO landscape and the practice of search optimization over the past year – from the ongoing Panda and Freshness updates to the introduction of Google+ and Search Plus Your World. Then Google started encrypting a vast majority of keywords referred from organic search, and now Google has indicated that websites guilty of “over optimization” are on their radar.

If you’re a marketer you must be thinking, “How do I know if we are maximizing our SEO investment given all the changes Google has introduced?” If you’re an SEO or marketing consultant, you’re probably asking yourself, “How do I sell my services and prove value to my clients?”

Although a lot has changed, two aspects of SEO remain certain:
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...e-Optimization

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 24, 2012 - Getting to Know Your Bots: Robots.txt 101

Tuesdays SEO Tip is about the Robots.txt.

Quote:
We’ll start slow and by the end of this post you will know exactly what a robots.txt file is. I want you to be able to throw down in some serious web geek conversations. Why would you want to do that? Because the robots.txt file controls how search engines and other bots see your site. You probably spend a LOT of time carefully crafting your brand and content, but what’s the point if search engines aren’t viewing your content or are seeing too much of it? Let’s fix that.

Your robots.txt is a text file that is housed at [yourdomain].com/robots.txt. Go ahead and check to see if your site has a robots.txt. Go for it, I’ll wait!

Did you find a file there? If you did, it probably looked something like this:
Continued at: http://outspokenmedia.com/seo/gettin...obots-txt-101/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 25, 2012 - How to Identify Search Engine Penalties

Now this is something that all of you might want to share with your followers.

Quote:
If you’ve ever opened your website analytics account and found a significant and surprising drop in search engine referral traffic, you know just how devastating a search engine penalty can be.

But don’t panic! Not all search engine penalties are permanent, and with a little detective work and remedial action, you should be able to restore your previous rankings and rebuild the flow of organic traffic to your site.

Here’s how to do it…
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/h...nalties/42926/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 26, 2012 - Transparent SEO: So Clear You Can't See It

Just past midnight according to my timezone so here is Thursdays Tip. lol

Quote:
Personally, I love the strength and boost a well-optimized site can give you, whether you're focusing on traffic, preferred landing pages or a content-centric campaign. However, optimization and search marketing, in their many forms and varieties, should be experienced much like waiters in a restaurant. You never want your readers (or the search engines, for that matter) to know it's there.

SEO Served Restaurant Style

As someone who worked in the restaurant industry, I can tell you this. From the diner and Flo throwing hash down on the counter in your direction (while chewing bubble gum, of course), to the penguin waiter you would rather not notice, the class of service varies widely. Me, I'm seldom happy when it comes to service or food

The penguin waiter, generally, is only seen when your cup or plate runs empty. You meet them at the beginning, you talk to them if you have questions, but that's usually the end of the interaction. By the end of the night, as you pay your bill, all you should really remember is that the meal was delicious.

SEO is kind of like that. Neither seen nor heard except when and where it's necessary.

SEO Reality: Google Doesn't Care

Recently, it seems the......
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/clear-seo.html

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum