Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 27, 2012 - Negative SEO: Myths, Realities, and Precautions

With the recent updates Google made, SEOmoz's whiteboard Friday video is a good one to watch.

Quote:
This week we will be covering a topic not often discussed on Whiteboard Friday. We are going to be talking about negative SEO tactics and how these practices function. Negative SEO is definitely not something we condone here at SEOmoz but education around these techniques can be a helpful, precautionary method that could prevent you from being the subject of malicious intent.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/negative-...teboard-friday

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 PM
V7N Administrator

Thumbs down SEO Tip of the Day - April 28, 2012 - Get Your Name Out There!

Never miss a chance to get your name out there on quality sites.

Beyond the obvious benefit of getting a link back to your site, it is the opportunity for your name to start being known throughout related communities.

Why would anyone pass that up?

V7N is offering this very opportunity right now!
http://www.v7n.com/forums/online-bus...out-there.html

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - April 30, 2012 - 3 Pillars of SEO Competitive Analysis

Good Monday morning. Another fast weekend for sure.

Here is today's tip.

Quote:
Many who are eager to "get ahead" with their search engine optimization (SEO) program are typically consumed with the latest and greatest SEO techniques, how they are sure to work as well as fantasizing over their list of targeted keyword terms.

Competitive analysis should also take a position of high importance. Don’t get me wrong, proper keyword research, the predecessor to competitive analysis, is important. We know where we want to rank and we know who is ranking there, but how will we get there?

At the onset of your dive into SEO competitive analysis, it's important you segment your analysis into three areas:
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...itive-Analysis

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 1st, 2012 - How To Use HTML Meta Tags

May is here and why not toss out a tip about Meta tags.

Quote:
Want top search engine rankings? Just add meta tags and your website will magically rise to the top, right? Wrong. Meta tags are one piece in a large algorithmic puzzle that major search engines look at when deciding which results are relevant to show users who have typed in a search query.

While there is still some debate about which meta tags remain useful and important to search engines, meta tags definitely aren't a magic solution to gaining rankings in Google, Bing, Yahoo, or elsewhere – so let's kill that myth right at the outset. However, meta tags help tell search engines and users what your site is about, and when meta tags are implemented incorrectly, the negative impact can be substantial and heartbreaking.

Let's look at what meta tags are, what meta tags matter, and how to avoid mistakes when implementing meta tags on your website.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...HTML-Meta-Tags

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 3rd, 2012 - Penguins, Pandas, and Panic at the Zoo

While the Penguin update is still fresh in your mind, here is a blog post about this. lol

Quote:
Google’s war on lovable critters escalated on April 24th with the release of the “Penguin” update (originally dubbed the “webspam update” by Google). While every major algorithm update causes some protest, post-Penguin panic seems to be at near record levels, worsened by weeks of speculation about an “over-optimization” penalty. Webmasters and SEOs are understandably worried, and many have legitimately lost traffic and revenue. Before you go out and burn your website to the ground for fear of a penguin in the pantry, I want to offer some advice on how to handle life after an algorithm update.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/penguins-...nic-at-the-zoo

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 6, 2012 - Impact of Anchor Text Diversity & Link Relevancy

Today's SEO tip is related to the penguin update that everyone just loves so much. (You know i'm kidding about people loving the update, Google didn't get it right in a sense once again)

Check out this blog post:

Quote:
The Google Penguin Update, much like Panda last year, has angered SEOs and webmasters, most of whom say they have played by Google’s rules. Anchor text diversity and link relevancy may be two key factors of Penguin, according to more early analysis.

60% 'Money Keyword' Anchor Text

As discussed in “Google Penguin Update: 5 Types of Link Issues Harming Some Affected Websites”, spammy link signals (paid text links using exact match anchor text, comment spam, guest posts on questionable sites, article marketing sites, and links from dangerous sites) were among the issues for some sites affected by the algorithmic change.

Google was also hitting websites for aggressive anchor text for keywords in backlinks even before Penguin. Post-Penguin, anchor text diversity becomes more critical.

Microsite Masters examined historical data for thousands of websites to investigate whether sites that saw their rankings drop after Penguin were also guilty of having an unbalanced percentage of anchor text for “optimization” or “money” keywords (i.e., whatever term you’re trying to rank No. 1 for) as opposed to more natural-looking mix of linking anchor text (e.g., Your Website’s Title, example.com, www.example.com, “click here”, “here”, “blog post”, etc.).

The results are quite interesting. Websites that.....
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...Link-Relevancy

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 8, 2012 - Setting Up WordPress For SEO Success?

This tip is for all WordPress members. It's a long one but if you are having problems related to SEO and your blog, you really need to spend the time to read this blog post.

Quote:
If you've ever tried to optimize WordPress for SEO success you've probably said those exact words at some point... some crazy theme breaks something, or a plugin crashes the whole site, or in terms of SEO you get 971 duplicate pages back from your crawl report.

But I don't think your troubles with WordPress are your fault entirely. I've been there too when I was first learning it! Gary Coleman has been there. But this post is an opportunity to move on from that...

Let's Wipe That Gary Coleman Look Off Your Face!

There's a lot of well meaning yet misguided info out there. After over two years of battling with (umm... using...) WordPress, I know it can be tricky and frustrating at times, and so I wanted to create a guide that might help clear some of this up.

I'm not here to get into every single little detail and variation, but rather to spend time on the core WordPress features and give special focus on SEO related WordPress issues.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/setup-wor...or-seo-success

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 9, 2012 - Anchor Text Optimization Case Study

Today's SEO tip is about a Anchor Text Optimization Case Study. It's not my case study but is a good blog post to check out.

Quote:
A significant component of the Penguin update appears to deal with anchor text over-optimization of backlinks. Savvy SEOs have been concerned with maintaining a natural anchor text profile for years now, and the Penguin update has just underscored how important natural anchor text optimization really is.

What constitutes a natural anchor text profile? The reality is that a natural mix of anchor texts is far less optimized than you might think. Geoff Kenyon made a post on SEOmoz suggesting that 65% non-targeted, 35% targeted is a good mix to aim for.

I believe that this is such an important issue that I wanted to do my own study to add a few (post-Penguin) data points to the conversation. In this post, I’ll share the results of a quick study I completed on 9 websites. Each website chosen for this analysis has a strong brand and is ranking well for an important keyword.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/a...natural/43404/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 12, 2012 - The Penguin Update - Whiteboard Friday

If you wasn't already sick and tired of the Penguin.... Todays Tip is from the SEOmoz blog. lol

Quote:
SEOmoz and I don't always see eye to eye on industry issues, but I still have a lot of respect for the company. In fact SEOmoz is still the website that I send people to, when they want to learn about SEO or get into our industry. Rand kindly invited me to the SEOmoz office when I was in Seattle this week, for a chat and the opportunity to present a Whiteboard Friday.

This week's Whiteboard Friday covers the recent Penguin Update, including what to do and what not to do. I certainly wouldn't say that it's a comprehensive guide, but it does discuss the issues and causes that I have witnessed. Fortunately Ayima's campaigns have been unaffected (other than increases) by the update, but we do monitor our client's competitors and their agencies to a very granular level using in-house technology. Off-Page SEO has been changing dramatically for a while now, and it's important that....
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-pengu...teboard-friday

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 14, 2012 - Conducting Semantic Keyword Research

Todays SEO tip is about Conducting Semantic Keyword Research.

Quote:
With the recent launch of Google’s “Penguin” algorithm change – which aims to cut webspam detected through a number of different avenues including low value backlinks and keyword stuffing – deploying proper keyword optimization across your websites will become more important than ever.

Now, when I say “proper keyword optimization,” I don’t mean, “pick a single target keyword and cram it into your web content as many times as you can.” That ship has sailed.

Instead, as we move into the future of algorithm improvements and enhanced spam detection, it will become even more important to approach keyword research in a holistic way. And to do that, we must recognize the...
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/5...esearch/43538/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 16, 2012 - 17 Types of Link Spam to Avoid

Keeping on the penguin and panda mess that just happened, take a look at this blog post for today's SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
If the last few months of ranking changes have shown me anything, it's that poorly executed link building strategy that many of us call white hat can be more dangerous than black-hat strategies like buying links. As a result of well intentioned but short-sighted link building, many sites have seen significant drops in rankings and traffic. Whether you employ link building tactics that are black, white, or any shade of grey, you can do yourself a favor by avoiding the appearance of link spam.

It's become very obvious that recent updates hit sites that had overly aggressive link profiles. The types of sites that were almost exclusively within what I called the "danger zone" in a post about one month before Penguin hit. Highly unnatural anchor text and low-quality links are highly correlated, but anchor text appears to have been the focus.

I was only partially correct, as the majority of cases appear to be devalued links rather than penalties. Going forward, the wise SEO would want to take note of the types of link spam to make sure that what they're doing doesn't look like a type of link spam. Google's response to and attitude towards each type of link spam varies, but every...
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/17-types-...-spam-to-avoid

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 19, 2012 - International SEO School Opens in Barcelona

Who wants to go back to school?

Here is today's SEO tip of the day.

Quote:
Education is very important and with a quickly evolving industry like the search industry it is difficult to keep up. Especially if you are not just focussing on one specific country or region. So some extra education when it comes to International SEO and Social Media is not a luxury to leave aside.

This week at the International Search Summit London Webcertain, the leading international SEO company who also organize the ISS, launched the “International SEO School” in Barcelona to give marketers the opportunity for that extra piece of international knowledge. Courses so far are International SEO, PPC and the Search / Social Media connection. Trainers include Andy Atkins-Krüger, Anders Hjorth and Bas van den Beld.

The International SEO School is based in Barcelona, close to Barcelona’s main El Prat airport. This does not mean the courses are focused on Spanish marketers alone. Far from. The courses have a very international character, both in....
Continued at: http://www.stateofsearch.com/interna...-in-barcelona/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 22, 2012 - Learn: SEO Lingo Defined

This SEO tip is for the newbie webmasters.

Quote:
While there are plenty of great articles on the Search Engine Journal website that dissect current SEO best practices and provide excellent recommendations to current webmasters, all the advice in the world won’t make a difference in your website’s success if you don’t understand the terminology that’s being used in the first place!

So if you’re a new webmaster, don’t feel overwhelmed!

Use the following list of SEO lingo to get up to speed or as reference material whenever you encounter a word you don’t understand:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/l...defined/43799/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 23, 2012 - SEO, Why You Are Doing it Wrong

Nice writeup that could help a few folks out.

Quote:
Like many webmasters affected by the Google Penguin update, Trent Harbour of Berkeyshop.com needed to find out why his site had dropped positions in the Google organic results and how he could reverse that. So he reached out to Search Engine Watch for some answers. What follows is a cautionary tale of missteps towards the complex problem of ranking on search engines and an examination into why small businesses are completely at a loss as to what constitutes “ethical” SEO.

Before he was worried about Google and its algorithms, Harbour was a portfolio manager and investor. However, during the 2008 financial crisis he “hit rock bottom” and an illness forced him to give up his job of 10 years. Clean drinking water was pivotal in managing his condition and so he decided to become a distributor of water filters in October 2010. To date, he said he’s invested $20K in the business and turnovers peaked at $600/day consistently for four weeks before Google’s Penguin update went into effect. Harbour told me his revenues were reduced overnight to “next to nil, since I was penalized” and unique visitors to the site are down by 55%.

What emerged from phone conversations with Harbour was that he....
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...Doing-it-Wrong

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 26, 2012 - 10 Myths That Scare SEOs But Shouldn't

Todays SEO tip is from SEOmoz's blog. It was last nights whiteboard friday video.

Quote:
In this week's Whiteboard Friday, we'll be tackling some SEO myths that might scare you but shouldn't. From keyword density to reciprocal linking, lets set the record straight about some of the myths out there. After watching what are some myths that don't scare you and why? Enjoy your weekend!
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/10-myths-...teboard-friday

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 28, 2012 - How to Use Data Mining for SEO

It's Monday and a new week has begun. Today's SEO tip is below.

Quote:
Search Engine Optimization is one of the most useful ways to successfully grow a blog. When readers can find your site more easily, your viewership can increase more rapidly. When you have more readership, you can expand and start to get sponsors and make money from your blogging endeavors.

Driving SEO traffic to your site can seem complicated or confusing at first, especially if you’ve never dealt with it before. If you’re a new blogger, don’t get frustrated by new terms. By learning a few quick and easy tricks to market your site, you can have new readers to your blog in no time.

With the use of data mining, you can find keywords that are driving interested readers to sites like yours and build the keywords into your site to bring new, meaningful readers directly to your site.

In this article, we’ll go over the basics of SEO, what data mining is, and how to implement it into your site. Once you learn the basics, you can take these skills to your own site and start building traffic.
Continued at: http://dailyseotip.com/how-to-use-da...mization/2493/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Last edited by snakeair; 05-29-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: fixed title

Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 29, 2012 - URL Structure

Short work week since I just got off a 3 day weekend. Check out todays SEO tip of the day.

URL Structure: Tips for Combining SEO and URL Best Practices

Quote:
URL structure is one of the most important and basic elements of SEO and, even in this day and age, far too many sites ignore URL best practices. If you have ever encountered an overly long URL that is mostly a series of numbers that mean absolutely nothing to you (or anyone else besides the site’s original webmaster for that matter), then you know exactly what I mean. Below are the basic guidelines for creating search engine friendly URLs that both users and web crawlers will find appealing.
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2012/05/2...est-practices/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - May 30, 2012 - SEO Isn't Magic - So Stop Doing SEO Tricks

Stop doing tricks is the SEO tip of the day.

Quote:
Hi everybody! My name is Ruth Burr and I’m the new Lead SEO here at SEOmoz. I’m super excited to be here! I’ll be posting on SEO here regularly going forward, but for my first post I wanted to tell you guys that when it comes to SEO, this is how I roll:

I know a woman who’s recently lost about 30 pounds. She looks great, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard someone compliment her on her new look and then ask, “What’s your secret?” “Just eating right and exercising,” she replies – and their faces invariably fall. Eating right and exercising? BO-RING! Sounds hard!

The truth is, we’re all looking for shortcuts to help us get the results we want without putting in the work we need to do to achieve them (think about the “1 Weird Old Trick” ads you see everywhere). We step on the scale, think about the hard low-cal high-cardio road ahead, and think, “Surely there’s a better/faster/easier way to do this.”

SEOs do this all the time. We want that magic bullet to get our sites to the top of the SERPs, the one “secret trick” to get the edge on our competitors. And just like fad diets, a lot of secret/sneaky SEO tricks do...
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/seo-isnt-...ing-seo-tricks

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 1st, 2012 - The Tao of SEO

June is finally here. (By my timezone it is)

Here is Friday's SEO Tip of the day and have a great weekend.

Quote:
When it comes to search engine optimization, most people think of it as some kind of religious cult where members speak in tongues, intoning such mantras as “SERPS,” “Meta Data,” “Linkbait,” and “AJAX,” as though they were trying somehow to transmute lead into gold. Worst of all, there is so much conflicting data out there regarding the ever changing world of SEO that keeping current is almost a full time job in itself. Add to this, the fact that no sooner do you get a bead on what the search engines want, when they up and change their algorithm (as Google recently did with their Penguin Update), making the analogy to sorcery even more poignant as your listing disappears like a puff of smoke. So, if you don’t want to have to start the process from scratch every time the search engines decide to....
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2012/05/31/the-tao-of-seo/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 1st, 2012 - 11 Advanced eCommerce SEO Techniques

Todays SEO tip is for the eCommerce folks.

Quote:
Every SEO specialist website owner is eager to implement simple yet powerful SEO ideas that will greatly improve their rankings, traffic and sales. We have included in our opinion 11 of the most powerful techniques for ecommerce websites that really work and can bring you significant ROI.

Smart On-Page SEO for Product Pages

Usually the success of an ecommerce website in terms of SEO vary depending on the amount of items on sale. There could be thousands of searches for every product and if you have 100.000 items in stock you can be found by much more visitors than a small website with just a couple of products.

But it’s not enough just to have these product pages, you need to be proactive and optimize (US English) them properly. Here are the most important ideas you can implement:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/1...t-works/44261/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum