Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 5th, 2012 - 10 Types of Unnatural Link Building Tactics

I just missed Monday by 38 minutes. It's Tuesday but here is your tip.

10 Types of Unnatural Link Building Tactics + 10 Quality Alternatives

Quote:
With all of the recent news of companies being called out for paid links, Google sending warnings about unnatural links, over optimization penalties, and blog networks getting shut down, it seems link building is becoming more and more difficult. The real challenge is when you are working with a new client or website. Typically the first thing you will do is a little competitor research where you see what tactics other websites are using to rank higher than your client. What you will likely discover in many cases is the competitors are using link building strategies that are on Google’s list of link schemes

So how can you compete when the competitors are building links that are low quality, paid, or otherwise spammy? Here’s a look at 10 types of link building strategies that are spammy, low quality, or unnatural plus 10 quality alternatives..
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/1...natives/44287/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 6th, 2012 - Hardcore Local SEO Tactics – SMX Advanced 2012

Today's SEO Tip of the day is about Local SEO.

Quote:
Google sure does like to keep us on our toes, don’t they? This session was originally going to cover local SEO tactics that went beyond Google Places. Then Big G went and dumped Places in favor of Google Plus. I’m betting Mike Blumenthal, Michael Dorausch, and Mike Ramsey did a bit of grumbling when they had to edit their presentations so close to conference time. Ah, Google—such a sense of humor! Matt McGee and Rob Bucci are moderating, so let’s get down to some local business.

We start up with Mike B. and a presentation titled It’s About Place Prominence.

Mike says he’s been looking at Google since 2006. What is Google’s problem? Well, How do you rank a phone book? They needed to create an algorithm that covered about 125 million businesses. Not an easy task. So they created a mix of traditional local information and Web information.

They identified attributes they thought were important to Google, things like proximity, business name, score of highest citation, total number of Web pages, etc. Most people aren’t familiar with the linking part of the algorithm, but it’s very significant in local search.

Two things that drive rank: location prominence, and distance from the centroid.

Google will mix and....
Continued at: http://outspokenmedia.com/internet-m...advanced-2012/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 8th, 2012 - 5 Rookie SEO Mistakes That Can Kill Your Search

Happy Friday and here is your Tip for the day. (Blog post by Jill Whalen)

Quote:
Mistakes. We all make them, and ideally we learn from them. But even the smallest of mistakes on your website can sometimes cause big problems. And big problems with a website can cause lost traffic, money, and jobs.

With that in mind, here are 5 mistakes I’ve seen often enough to warrant a mention. I hope that you can learn from others who weren’t so lucky:
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2012/06/0...tools-to-help/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 12, 2012 - Local Search Engine Ranking Factors

Today's SEO tip is about Local Search Engine ranking factors. This is a long post to go through.

Quote:
Over the course of the past year, we've seen the search engine result pages that Google returns for Local Intent searches get more and more complex. Just over a year-and-a-half ago, Google introduced Blended Place Search, merging its traditional organic algorithm with its index of Local businesses from Google Places. But this was just the beginning.

Google Plus was formally launched in late June of last year, but for most of the year, its release only seemed to affect a few results visually, rather than algorithmically. Much more important were the "Panda," "Venice," and "Penguin" algorithm updates that took down a lot of low quality websites (albeit almost none of them traditional small business sites).

From a Local Search perspective, the former updates seemed to be the more important of the three, as we saw the number of "pure" Local results (those showing traditional "7-pack" formats) go from a consistent majority to a consistent minority. And we also saw Local organic results start to percolate into prominence, as this article from Mike Ramsey details.

Of course, all of this preceded the colossal sea change represented by....
Continued at: http://www.davidmihm.com/local-searc...-factors.shtml

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 14, 2012 - Website Optimization Basics

The week is just about over so here is a few small tips to go through.

Quote:
As search engine optimizers we hear the term "optimization" all the time. We optimize our content, websites, pages, forms, click paths, designs, strategies, links, and so on.

Do we ever ask ourselves what it means to be a search engine optimizer? And just how do we optimize in the world of Pandas and Penguins? In the end how does this change what we do as SEOs?

Optimization is such a common term and used so generally, it is almost without meaning. Take a moment to think about it. What does it mean to optimize?

A Lesson in Real World Optimization

I recently traveled to Seattle. If you haven’t been...
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...ization-Basics

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 15, 2012 - SEO Tips for Travel Website

Got a travel website/blog? Today's SEO tip is for travel websites/blogs.

Quote:
Being in the SEO industry for couple of years now, I have encountered many travel websites that are spending handsome amount of money to be found on the online/digital medium. SEO or digital marketing seems to be the ultimate answer for them but the real problem is all highly traffic terms related to this niche have been already hijacked by BIG giants and there is very less space left for small and new business owners to get business love from search engine.

Although this is a bitter reality, that giants have almost eaten all top spots for the big and high traffic keywords in SERPs. However, saying that there is no more chance for small and new peeps is just not true. Here are top 5 ways to get a sure success and gain more branding, leads and conversions...
Continued at: http://dailyseotip.com/seo-tips-for-...-website/2510/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 17, 2012 - Proper SEO and the Robots.txt File

Happy Fathers day to all the fathers out there and the soon to be fathers. Here is your SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
When it comes to SEO, most people understand that a website must have content, "search engine friendly" site architecture/HTML, and meta data (title tags and meta descriptions).

Another meta element, if implemented incorrectly, that can also trip up websites is robots.txt. I was recently reminded of this while reviewing the website of a large company that had spent considerable money on building a mobile version of their website, on a sub-directory. That’s fine, but having a disallow statement in their robots.txt file meant that the website wasn’t accessible to search engines (Disallow: /mobile/)

Let’s review how to properly implement robots.txt to avoid search ranking problems and damaging your business, as well as how to correctly disallow search engine crawling
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...obots.txt-File

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 19, 2012 - Q & A seo Questions

Some Q & A seo questions will be our SEO Tip of the day.

13 Questions (and Answers) About Google, Site Speed, and SEO

Quote:
It's been two years since Google announced that page speed is a factor in its search ranking, and one of the most-asked questions I still receive is: How exactly do they do it? The second-most-asked question I hear is: How much do I need to care about this?

No surprise, Google plays this card close to its enormous vest, so for the past two years I've done a fair bit of digging to get the answers. My company, Strangeloop Networks, has worked closely with folks at Google on a few projects, so I've fact-checked these to the best of my abilities with both Google employees and outside sources, but if you have new or contradictory information, let me know.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/13-questio...-speed-and-seo

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 20, 2012 - Understanding Penguin 1.1

As you should know by now if you keep up-to-date with the Google algorithm changes, Penguin got an update not to long ago. Today's SEO tip is about this.

Quote:
So, first things first! What is the difference between PENGUIN and PENGUIN 1.1?

The Penguin update was a change in a module within the search engine algorithm, while Penguin 1.1 is merely a data refresh within that same module. Matt Cutts clearly explained this in his post way back in 2006.

By now, there will be many people out there talking about PENGUIN 1.1 and web spam and how to avoid it, etc., etc., etc. But do we truly know the core of PENGUIN 1.1 and how to tackle it? PENGUIN 1.1 was primarily associated with data refresh, plus a host of other, as usual, “SECRET SIGNALS.”

This data refresh is probably best known to SEO old-timers as the “Google Dance.” A data refresh basically keeps the input (search query) and output (relevant information) of the algorithm on which the data is processed constant and changes the order of data going in and out. In this case, the data is a particular website page and its surrounding value (links, PR, domain authority, relevancy of content, etc.). If this order of data remains constant and the input and output mechanisms change, then it is termed an algorithmic update. I hope this makes things simple enough to understand.

Next is the topic of WEBSPAM!

Web spam, according to me, is basically a Molotov cocktail with three prime elements:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/u...y-steps/45071/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 21, 2012 - Anatomy of an Internal Link

The week is almost over and here is Today's SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
”Internal Linking to Promote Keyword Cluster” explained the math of how strength passes internally between pages of a website and how it can be influenced with a focused and planned internal linking structure. The limitation of this approach is that it assumes that all internal links are created equal. This isn’t the case.

Several factors influence the weight and relative importance of an internal link. For example the format of that link, its position on the page, its position relative to other links, etc. While the specific way that the engines weigh individual links is not...
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...-Internal-Link

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 25, 2012 - 5 Multilingual SEO Tips & Best Practices

Good Monday morning. Another long week is about to begin and here is todays SEO tip of the day.

Quote:
A lot of different factors contribute to a successful transition into a new market, whether on the ground or online. A company’s ability to adapt to culture, language, geography, and consumer behavior all influence whether their foray into a new market will prove a profitable move.

Companies that operate online have special concerns. How can you ensure your site is technically sound and optimized for search? Are you creating duplicate content issues? Over the past year, we’ve investigated different global SEO challenges and offered suggestions as far as multilingual keywords, hreflang and canonical issues, and more.

In this post, RankAbove CEO Mayer Reich offers a few more tips and...
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...Best-Practices

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 26, 2012 - SEO essentials for startups in under 10 minutes

Today's SEO tip is a short one.

Quote:
Wondering how to be search-friendly but lacking time for SEO research? We’d like to help! Meta keywords tag? Google Search ignores it. Meta description? Good to include.

If you:

• Work on a company website that’s under 50ish pages.
• Hope to rank well for your company name and a handful of related terms (not lots of terms like a news agency or e-commerce site).
• Want to be smart about search engines and attracting searchers, but haven’t kept up with the latest search news.

Then perhaps set aside ten minutes for this video (or just the slides) and gain SEO peace of mind
Continued at: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...-under-10.html

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 28, 2012 - Which Page is Canonical?

Almost Friday and here is your SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
It sounds like an easy question, doesn’t it? While we hear a lot about duplicate content since the Panda update(s), I’m amazed at how many people are still confused by a much more fundamental question – which URL for any given page is the canonical URL? While the idea of a canonical URL is simple enough, finding it for a large, data-driven site isn’t always so easy. This post will guide you through the process with some common cases that I see every week.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/which-page-is-canonical

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - June 29, 2012 - 10 Ways Coding Can Help Your SEO

This tip should be a reminder for all of you to check out a few things on your websites. I need to do this but going on vacation in 2 days and don't have time to do this.

Quote:
Too many webmasters think of SEO in terms of things you do after a website is created, whether that’s optimizing specific on-page variables in order to maximize the odds of being ranked for particular keywords or the process of soliciting backlinks from qualified sources to power off-page SEO.

However, ignoring the important role that your site’s coding can play in its overall optimization is essentially the same as building your home on an unstable foundation. Consider all of the following ways that coding can help your site’s SEO in order to avoid missing out on these critical benefits.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/1...our-seo/45402/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - July 8, 2012 - Guide to Real Estate SEO

Need a few tips for your Real Estate SEO site? Check out Today's SEO Tip of the Day. (FYI, i'm home from vacation and will try to update this sticky a few times a week once again)

Quote:
Real estate can be a complicated industry to market online. Having worked as the Marketing Coordinator for a real estate team (where I was also a Licensed Real Estate Salesperson and Realtor), I understand the idiosyncrasies of the field as well as the payoffs. What follows is an SEO guide for real estate agents and professionals, because I know how important it is to make informed marketing decisions and I want to help bridge the gap between agents and SEOs.

According to the National Association of Realtors, 90% of buyers start their real estate search online. SEO is vital to a successful online presence for both brokers and agents because...
Continued at: http://outspokenmedia.com/seo/guide-to-real-estate-seo/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - July 11, 2012 - How to Optimize Your Mobile Website for Search

Todays SEO tip is about your mobile website.

Quote:
Making your company website more SEO-friendly requires strategic effort. At the current rate of on-the-go users, it’s important not to neglect the mobile version of your site. More than 70% of marketers plan to spend more money on mobile in 2013, and Microsoft reports that 70% of PC search tasks are completed in one week, while 70% of mobile search tasks are completed in one hour. In short, mobile should be top of mind, because if people are searching, it’s because there’s an intent to do something.

“Mobile users are not tethered to a desktop. They need timely information to drive them into stores with positive purchase intent,” Scott Forshay, a mobile and emerging technology strategist for Acquity Group, told Mashable.

Mobile expert and MeritShare co-founder Kevin Nakao says the best place to start your mobile strategy is to...
Continued at: http://mashable.com/2012/07/10/mobile-website-seo/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - July 16, 2012 - 7 Habits of Highly Effective SEO

Good Monday Morning. Here is your tip.

Quote:
When I started my professional career (selling advertising), one of the most influential books that I read at the time was "7 Habits of Highly Effective People", by Stephen Covey.

It’s not much of an over-statement to say that this book changed my life.

What’s interesting to me is how many of the tenets that Mr. Covey conveyed in this book hold true in many facets of my life, and specifically with digital marketing and search engine optimization (SEO).

I speak to many prospects for SEO services, every day. Some of these believe that SEO is a one-and-done affair.

While I find instances where companies could see some solid gains by simply implementing proper title tags and correcting a few things, more often than not, proper SEO efforts need to be worked on a regular basis to realize the types of gains that can deliver really solid, long-lasting and “optimized” (optimal) results.

Every SEO company will have its...
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...-Effective-SEO

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 PM
V7N Administrator

Thumbs down SEO Tip of the Day - July 17, 2012 - What determines the value of a site?

Quote:
When something that’s relevant to our demographic gets mentioned or instigates a trend on a social network, blog, or forum, this opens a window of opportunity for linking! If you get to the post too late, of course, you will not be able to benefit as much from the demographic as you would if you had been involved at the peak of the conversation, during its prime…
What determines the value of a site?
http://newbizshop.com/what-determine...lue-of-a-site/

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - July 18, 2012 - Build Better Blog SEO with Rich Snippets

Today's SEO tip is for the bloggers.

Quote:
Bloggers and webmasters are always looking for an edge when it comes to ranking highly against the giants in their field. It’s a classic David and Goliath story, really.

What made the early web so appealing was the idea that some lone geek in a basement could compete with the media heavyweights and gain a large following. But in an age where “content” outfits like Demand Media are given an unfair advantage over smaller and more worthy adversaries, it’s tough for the underdog to win.

However, a little technology called Rich Snippets has the potential to turn the tables.
Continued at: http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...rich-snippets/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day - July 19, 2012 - Writing for Search Engines

The week is almost over.

Here is today's SEO Tip of the Day.

Quote:
Some believe that the world of search engine optimization (SEO) is changing in the post-Panda world. A belief that content has suddenly appeared on the radar as the end-all, be-all of ranking highly on the search engines is discussed on virtually every relevant site I've been to.

Here's the problem with that belief: content has always been an important factor. How content influences results may change over time or (better worded) our understanding of how to use content may evolve, but to be sure - content has always and will always be a key factor in the algorithms in one capacity or another.

If we flash back to the “Wild West days” of SEO, content keyword stuffing and keyword density targeting were all the rage. Massive sites were built, injecting regions onto pages to rank sites for a wide array of locations - and it worked. These sites ranked and why? Content.

Rightfully these strategies don't work well anymore (not to be confused with “doesn't work at all” but this is a “best practices” article and not a “here's how to trick and spam Google” article) but content being generated for search engines is....
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...Search-Engines

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum