Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct 8th, 2012 - Deployment SEO Strategy and Checklist

Good Monday late afternoon. Today's SEO Tip of the Day is below.

Quote:
Every time you have a release, do you have a test (automated or manual) that you perform to make sure that everything is good to go from an SEO perspective? This is what we call a deployment SEO strategy. Odds are you might not have one, but you should.

You need a deployment strategy for two reasons: first, accidents happen. Second, not everyone knows SEO. This posts highlights problems to look for when when you're testing a deployment and tips on how to create a deployment SEO strategy that works for you
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/deploymen...-and-checklist

Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct 9th, 2012 - Could Bad SEO Bring Down Your Business?

This is a interesting read for today's SEO Tip of the day post.

Quote:
We’ve been telling you for awhile now that the old-fashioned “black hat” SEO doesn’t work.

The evolution of SEO means that keyword stuffing, buying links, content spinning, and other shady practices just don’t pay off the way they used to.

But Marie Haynes wrote a terrific piece over on SEOMoz about how the wrong kind of SEO isn’t just useless … it’s actively dangerous.

Dangerous enough to destroy a small business, and maybe even a business that’s not-so-small.

Go read the article here, then come back.

Marie’s central point is that a certain stye of “cheap and quick” SEO — the style, in fact, that small businesses were often likely to choose — has now become actively dangerous.

In the past year, Google rolled out powerful updates that...
Continued at: http://www.copyblogger.com/dangerous-seo/

Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct 11th, 2012 - Why PageRank Doesn't Matter

There is lots of misinformation about PageRank out there. Even Google has asked you to stop worrying about PageRank.

Quote:
Who's To Blame For Misinformation?

Any frustration shouldn't be aimed at the client. The client isn't an SEO and further, their information is gathered from somewhere. That somewhere may be a blog post from 2006, but they have no way of knowing what is or isn't relevant any more than I know how to perform the surgeries that some of my doctor clients do regularly.

The problem is amplified by the fact that incorrect information is useful as a sales tool to specific segments of the SEO community and so even newer pitches include references to "building one zillion links per month" or "building links from PageRank 8 domains" and so it persists (you can read about that segment of the community in Kristine Schachinger's article from last week, "Meet the White Hats, Gray Hats, Black Hats & Asshats"
Why PageRank Doesn't Matter

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct 14th, 2012 - ting On-Page SEO Right in 2012 and Beyond

Today's SEO tip is seomoz's whiteboard Friday blog post.

Quote:
Many of you are already familiar with our On-Page Reports. Keyword targeted On-Page SEO is still important, but as algorithms change, so must your On-Page optimization strategy.

This week, Rand looks at the future of On-Page and how to move beyond the keywords to drive traffic and delivery for a better experience.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/getting-o...teboard-friday

Old 10-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct 15th, 2012 - How to Prove the Value of SEO in 10 Minutes

You got 10 minutes available? Read this blog post for today's SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
Convincing others of the importance of organic search and the need for SEO management has admittedly become easier over the years. Many have followed suit with competitors to jump into SEO endeavors to keep pace and many are coming to see that online organic ROI often times is much better than traditional marketing, is better targeted and easier to measure.

However, there remains a skeptical, more “old school” crowd, that still needs to be shown the need for organic search devotion. Whether you work for an agency trying to make a sale or on an in-house team tired of not drawing leads, taking a look at your Google Analytics data with this 10-minute drill down on what organic is doing for you can make a great impact.

Google Analytics has taken great strides in the last year or so by adding multi-channel attribution data to site reporting, in addition to maintaining historical bare bones data that can be quite convincing in itself. We now enjoy an....
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...-in-10-Minutes

Old 10-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct 16th, 2012 - Unreliable Data Will Yield an Unreliable Analys

Quote:
For the folks out there that look to others to provide them with guidance on what to think , before you accept anything at its stated value, you might do well to try to determine whether they really have a clue – sadly, there’s a lot of self-proclaimed experts and gurus out there that are full of nothing but hot air (trying to keep it clean here). You’d probably do better looking for the folks that’ll help you remember how to think.

And for those of you that want to share your “findings”, please… try to be realistic regarding what are truly findings or conclusions, and what are no more than probabilities. Sharing isn’t helpful when it’s misleading.

You’re certainly free to base your actions on anything you like but try not to mislead others into believing in fact where there is only conjecture.
Unreliable Data Will Yield an Unreliable Analysis

A thread for discussion is here: Unreliable Data Will Yield an Unreliable Analysis

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct 17th - Death of Link Building and the Rebirth of Link Earnin

Good Friday afternoon or late afternoon. Wait a minute, lot's of members are in different timezones. Check out today's SEO tip of the day.

Quote:
We've all known someone who got hit by Google's algo updates. Whether you've personally been affected or you know someone who has, it's not fun to bounce back from and can can impact your SEO efforts if not addressed appropriately

This week, Rand discusses the egress of old link building practices and the ingress of new (old) link earning strategies that will help your site stay relevant in the SERPs and drive your traffic with a better user experience.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-death...teboard-friday

Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct 24th - Anchor Text Analysis: Post “Penguin” and EMD

So much talk about the EMD update so here is todays SEO Tip of the Day.

Quote:
We all know by now that over-optimized anchor text was a huge factor for sites that were dinged by the Google Penguin update. We’ve seen a case study of what is natural when it comes to anchor text back in May with websites in the boating industry. But now that Penguin has had some time to settle in, let’s see what sites are still ranking at the top of the first page of search results in seven highly competitive industries and how their anchor text stacks up in the natural versus over-optimized department, plus additional details about their domain authority and link building strategy.

For this experiment, please note we used Google.com, Safari not logged in to a Google account, location set to Maine (to bypass lots of local search results), and a fully cleared cache. We also skipped Wikipedia and similar sites to focus on those that probably did some heavy lifting in the link building department to get to the first page. Data provided by SEMrush and CognitiveSEO.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/a...uin-emd/50484/

Take a look at all those stat's provided.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct 25th - Anchor Text Analysis:

Good old Friday. I love Friday's. Check out today's SEO tip of the day.

Quote:
I have been fortunate in my 14 year SEO career to work with a huge number of companies and I have seen many different implementations of an "SEO campaign." I've seen what works and what doesn't, especially at the enterprise level.

What follows are 10 lessons that I have learned over the years so that you might know what to watch out for as you run or manage your own SEO campaign. Hopefully you find the information valuable!
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...Enterprise-SEO

Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day - Oct 30th 2012 -

Happy Tuesday,

I'm going to slide in and post a tip of the day. <sorry if I'm duplicating a prior post.... one or two may have gotten past me...>

Incorporate questions your customers are using into all of your writing for the web.

Everywhere you can... products, categories, blogs, stories, etc etc.

It seems simple and innocuous but this single technique has proven to be an SEO powerhouse for me.

I know it's a writing topic but the SEO results have been so dramatic and immediate that I think it belongs here.

Use words commonly used both in your industry and for folks outside of your industry - newbies.

Start with something simple like:

"What are the difference between widget A and widget B?"

Your customers are asking the internet this question.... make sure that you answer their question. Google will love it.

Trust me.

I actually had a customer call me and she said, "I asked google this question... and the internet told me to call you...."

No lie.

I don't know if she's hearing other voices but I can deal with her coming to my website.

Good luck. I'll be taking my own advice this afternoon and adding more questions where I've forgotten to do this.

Last edited by snakeair; 10-30-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: edit title

Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Nov. 2nd, 2012 - The 8 skills an SEO must possess

Today's SEO tip is from one of the Bing blogs.

Quote:
As we start the run into the holidays, and thus a new calendar year, folks start to take stock of things. In terms of careers, we’re approaching the time when many start thinking of making a move. Year-end reviews are looming over the next couple of months, bonuses hang in the balance and perceptions built to this point hang on the final numbers of successful holiday campaigns.

What’s an SEO to do…other than work like crazy towards their projected goals?

One thing they need to do is understand how their role has changed, and will continue to change in the coming years. You might be lucky enough to have a role as an SEO right now, and remain focused in that one area, but that’s going to change. For many it already has…or they never even made it far enough down the path to only focus on SEO.

If you want to ensure that you’re bringing value to your company’s efforts, and positioning yourself for upward mobility in that company, you need to either expand your skills or recapture lost skills. To that end, in no order, let’ stake a look at skills the savvy SEO needs to be success in the world of search moving forward.

Marketing

Sure, sure, we all get marketing. We took the classes in school, or watched enough TV to catch the broad strokes of how marketing works. To really understand it, however, requires a deeper understanding of...
Continued at: http://www.bing.com/community/site_b...t-possess.aspx

Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Nov. 6th, 2012 - Step-by-Step SEO: How to Setup Google+ Authorsh

Here is some info for everyone who wants to do this.

Quote:
Google initially announced its authorship markup efforts at the 2011 SMX Advanced conference, and yet, many website owners and entrepreneurs have still failed to take the necessary steps to bring these potentially powerful benefits to their own businesses.

In order to help more website owners take advantage of this technique, I’ll first cover what Google+ authorship is and how it can improve your online business results, before diving into more detailed instructions on how to implement this strategy across your various Web properties.

Let’s get started!

First of all, even if you don’t know what Google+ authorship is, you’ve probably seen evidence of the technique in action in the Google search results:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/s...horship/51008/

Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Nov. 8th, 2012 - Too Many Links Leads To Trouble

This was a good read and will be the SEO Tip of the day post.

Devastation Alert – Too Many Links Leads To Trouble
Quote:
Devastation Alert

Sometimes we as business people tend to think that the idea of limiting the number of links in a web page is unreasonable, but a lot of us still tend to come up with a page that has too many links. If we knew why this was not a good idea, maybe it would help. I will show you why we should always limit the number of links on our websites.

Here are Three reasons why you should limit the number of links in a Web Page…
Continued at: http://www.bloggingtips.com/2012/11/...ds-to-trouble/

Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Nov. 9th, 2012 - How to Prevent Negative SEO

This is a good tip.

How to Prevent Negative SEO

Quote:
Google’s recent Penguin update was designed to reduce the impact that low-quality backlinks had on a website’s natural search performance. And while this news was mostly greeted with frustration by webmasters who had been using linking schemes to artificially inflate their SERP rankings, there was one group that was happy about the change: the black hat spammers who utilize negative SEO to bring down their competitors’ rankings.

Negative SEO is the practice of attacking other websites using techniques that are likely to result in known SEO penalties, rather than taking a proactive approach to investing in one’s own website. As an example, somebody using negative SEO might direct these same low-quality backlinks to point at a...
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/h...ive-seo/51016/

Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Nov. 13th, 2012 - Introduction To Conversion Optimization

13 is a bad number but here is todays SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
Conversion optimization is a process whereby you change the content and organization of a website in order to increase the percentage of visitors that convert into customers.

This can be a lucrative process as it helps you extract more value from your existing traffic.

If you’re wondering why more people don’t buy more of what you offer, or take the actions you expect them to, this article will give you a few ideas on how you can make changes to ensure they do.

Why Conversion Optimization Is Valuable

People are bombarded with messages.

The advertising industry is.....
Continued at: http://www.seotools.net/cro-basics/

Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Nov. 16th, 2012 - On-Page Optimization for Ecommerce Websites

Here is tonights SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
On-Page optimization is one of the important factors for websites to rank in search engines. In this blog I want to cover for eCommerce portal, and what you need to do if you have an eCommerce websites. All the basic On-Page SEO steps are same, having unique descriptive Title & Meta tags and content on the site. But what else you can do and you should do.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...practices.html

Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Nov. 19th, 2012 - Take Out Duplication Without a Single Change

Good Monday morning. Here is today's SEO Tip of the day.

Take Out Duplication Without a Single Site Change

Quote:
Duplication is negatively affecting the ability of your ranking pages to perform as well as they could. This is a common point of frustration among SEO professionals, especially those who manage ecommerce sites.

Too often, waiting on the client or development team to implement changes to a site that will help reduce excess crawling and indexation can hinder making the bottom line. What if there was a way to bypass all that and help search engines identify ranking pages? Google and Bing’s parameter handling tools allow you to do just this!

Warning: Changes made using parameter handling are seen as very strong “hints”. Use with caution.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...le-Site-Change

Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Nov. 21st, 2012 - 4 In-House SEO Myths, 2 Solutions

Good morning. Here is today's SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
At the SES Chicago conference last week, Dave Rohrer of Covario and I spoke on the topic of in-house SEO from a Monty Python perspective. While I won’t subject you to a rendition of my theory of how the Dead Parrot sketch is a simile for the in-house prioritization process, I will touch on one aspect from the session, that of four in-house SEO myths and the two solutions.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...hs-2-Solutions

Old 11-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Nov. 23rd, 2012 - Learning SEO online

Today's SEO tip is below. (Happy Black Friday)

Quote:
I always have to chuckle when people ask me what university or school I went to learn SEO. As far as I’m aware, there are still no accredited courses available for learning SEO anywhere. The web itself however is a great place to start, and even though you won’t end up with an official degree in SEO, the hands-on experience you get is priceless, especially when you’re able to deliver results for your company.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/l...-online/52620/

Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day - Nov. 26th, 2012 - State of Search News Update

Good Monday morning. Here is a little news flash for todays SEO Tip of the day.

Quote:
A lot is happening in the world of search and social and as you know State of Search is not a news-reporting site but a site that interprets the news and looks at why something is happening and what that means to you. That doesn’t mean however we are not interested in the news. In this post we will bring the top stories of what happened last week with links to articles around the web. So you will know what you’ve missed.
Continued at: http://www.stateofsearch.com/news-update-week-47-2012/

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum