Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-30-2010, 10:50 PM

In recent years I have found myself refraining from diving into anything. These days I find myself more of a 'put my toe in and check the temperature sort of guy'.

My SEO thinking is along similar lines Place my toe in gently, observe the results and if all seems well put a bit more in (maybe a whole foot) . I am a great believer in feedback, I am always a little wary of the unknown, picking out keywords, setting targets and simply dropping into the swirling unknown waters is far too brave for me.

I like the concept of evolution. I have seen webmasters adopt the 'God' mode - This is where in total isolation of reality they decide all the fine details of the small web world they will create, then they jump in and create the vision that has been created inside their head, without as much at a glance at reality I shall remain a 'toe in first' type of guy.

I do like the concept of setting goals and in that respect I agree with you. My goals always seem to be in far smaller splashes. . I would be more inclined to research on the water temperature first . . My first task would be to select the warmest waters. (where I wont get frozen stiff by the competition) I would search for a place that was shallow enough to keep a toe resting on the ocean bed (A topic where I could wade and not get pummeled by huge incoming waves of massive competition.

Anywhere in the serps would be my initial 'toe in' In a few months time when I have perfected my doggy paddle. . . I might just dip my head beneath the waves, just to see if I am swimming safely.

We cannot all be fearless and brave...........

Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Monday, May 3, 2010 - Bounce Rate: Sexiest Metric Ever!

Analyzing Your Bounce Rate

How do you know whether your SEO efforts to drive traffic to your site is effective? One metric can help you determine whether your traffic is qualified: your bounce rate. In introducing a video on Bounce Rate, Google says:

Quote:
If you could only choose one metric to look at, Bounce Rate might be your best choice.
Sure, sometimes a high bounce rate means the user came to the site, found the information they needed -- say a phone number to call and buy a product -- but most of the time a high bounce rate means your traffic is not qualified. Their needs and what your site provides don’t match.

This short video by Google, shows you how to use Google Analytics to learn more about your bounce rate:
[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ppgfjo6IIf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ppgfjo6IIf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
[/YT]

For example, you can examine the bounce rate for keyword phrases, for traffic sources, and for entrance or landing pages.

Google defines bounce rate and offers some help on headline writing to decrease bounce rates.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

It must be noted that the Bounce Rate determined by GA is highly inaccurate, in that it relies on client side script which 1) may not be present on all pages to which the landing page(s) links to; or, 2) such links themselves may not be trackable by GA, by virtue of their being outbound links, such as those to a 3rd party shopping cart, and/or themselves being scripted.

Therefore, before panicking, and assuming that you have a problem, examine your server logs to get an accurate view of the actual exit pages. If such shows that a higher percentage of visitors are exiting from pages other than your landing page(s) than GA suggests, the immediate solution is to first address the GA scripting issues.

Unfortunately, neither the cited video or nor GA Help page address these critical matters.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day for Tuesday, May 4, 2010 - Check Your Results

Supplementary tip: Check the results of every tasks you do. for example, if you do article submission on bunch of directories. Go and check after a week of your submission. Even if you receive the backlink , you should check if it is do follow , got indexed and the backlink is directly directing to your webpage. If you can do this, you can gather only the valid sites that provides genuine result and you can omit the rest. You do not have to waste your time on working with the dummy sites that is no follow or provide no link back...

Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - Site Architecture - Siloing

Site Architecture – Themes & Siloing

Starting or expanding a site? Consider siloing - or thematic web site architecture. This highly organized, tight site structure provides an organized experience for the user that is also easily read by search engine bots. Proponents say it's a fast track to the SERPs requiring fewer backlinks.

Siloing creates distinct areas that focus on themes – that is, specific topics or keyword phrases. It’s often done by creating directories for each category of product and keeping all links within that directory related to that theme – in other words, no cross linking between silos!

Bruce Clay has an excellent article that clearly outlines the basic concept.

This article gives examples of several ways to create silos.

For those who find videos helpful in learning something new, you’ll may find presentation by Russell Wright helpful: [YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uNVPkonEW6E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uNVPkonEW6E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>: [/YT]

Old 05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Thursday, May 6, 2010 - Optimizing Twitter for Job Seekers

Looking for a job (or just for tips on optimizing Twitter)? This Job-Hunt.org article shows you how to use SEO and Twitter to help your next employer find you. By applying some search optimization techniques to Twitter, employers who search your job title may find you not just in Twitter but in the real time results of the search engines.

From: http://www.job-hunt.org/job-search-n...r-job-seekers/
Quote:
  • People Googling your keywords (your job title, profession, industry, etc.) will find you because your Twitter account will appear in the search results,
  • People Googling your name will find your Twitter account in the search results if you have used your name as part of your Twitter identity.if you have used those keywords as described in the rest of this article.
The rest of the article details how to access and adjust your Twitter account and pages to maximize your marketability in the job market and even after you land your new position.

You’ll find helpful tops here for optimizing your Twitter account no matter what you are targeting:
http://www.job-hunt.org/job-search-n...r-job-seekers/

Old 05-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Friday, May 7, 2010 - Title Tag SEO Tips

Here is a good blog post on the SEO.com/blog that is a good read.

Quote:
Looking for a quick fix that will improve your rankings? Take a look at your title tags. A title tag is the line of text that is normally displayed at the top of the browser window. Title tags are arguably the most important SEO tags for any site.

For most search engines, the maximum length of a title tag to be displayed is between 60-70 characters. If your title tag is over 70 characters, your title will be cut off around 70 characters on the search results page.

Search engine spiders use these title tags as the main source for determining the page topic. Spiders or crawlers examine the title and then translate the topic of the page. This is one reason why it is..
Continued at: Title Tag SEO Tips

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Last edited by snakeair; 05-08-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Monday, May, 10 2010 - SEO Cheat Sheet

Wouldn’t we all like an SEO cheat sheet? Fortunately, SEO is an open book test, and we can refer to our notes and resources whenever we feel the need.

This SEO cheat sheet, developed by Danny Dover when he came on board SEOmoz.org as a web development intern, covers the most important SEO HTML tags and limits, as well as brief notes on canonical issues and 301 redirects for Apache, robots.txt syntax, important search engine robots and most interestingly common robot traps – that is, the most common ways webmasters unintentionally stop spiders from crawling their sites:

See more: http://static.seomoz.org/user_files/...heat_Sheet.pdf

Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - Link Diversity Rules

Don’t put all your links in “one basket.” Seek backlinks from many sources, domains and of varying types. For example, reciprocal links from highly relevant sites are great, but that should be a small part of your overall “backlink portfolio.”

Your primary focus should be on one-way links – and the most powerful way to get those is through link bait. (This thread has some great ideas for link bait.)

Despite their loss of luster, directories remain a viable source one-way links. Think DMOZ, Yahoo, Joe Antl; in other words, think human edited directories with quality guidelines; it's the reason Google values those links. Look also for niche directories, and look for deep link directories.

Wherever you can, link back to internal pages rather than to just your home page – from directories or link trades. If you are successful with link bait, your backlinks are likely to be to internal pages rather than your home page, and you want your backlinks to look as organic as possible.

Vary your anchor text. Your anchor text should not always be keyword rich; you should also use your company name or domain name at times. Again, it looks more natural since webmasters linking to you organically are not necessarily inclined to use your keywords in the anchor text.

If you are doing reciprocal linking, ask the other webmaster to consider a mini article exchange. Your users (and theirs) get more valuable information this way, and your links will be ‘contextual’ rather than the Title: Description format that is clearly a mark of a link trade.

Keep seeking new sources for backlinks; if you haven’t tried article directories, pursue those; if you have newsworthy events or information, write press releases; if you enjoy sharing information, participate in a forum.

Diversity is the key.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - Link Out

Don’t be afraid to give links from your site to relevant sites. When you link to an authority site, you are telling the search engines “this is my neighborhood; I am part of it.” And by building links to resources that are relevant to the user, you are improving their experience of your site. Yes, they may leave your site for another link, but if you have offered them what they needed, they may well return to your site again. And again. Will you leak PR? Yes, a little, but the advantage of the association with higher authority sites can raise your overall credibility and usability and that outweighs a little loss of PR.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Thursday, May 13, 2010 - What Is Quality Content?

Content is King, you've heard. Build Quality Content for your site and the links will come.

It’s easy to confuse the idea of good content with the idea of creating a lot of content or creating new content all the time. Those misconceptions can lead to cheap articles, content scraping and automated content generators that are anything but quality.

Here are some characteristics of Link Worthy, Quality Content:
  • Original
  • Unique
  • Useful
  • Accessible
  • Readable
  • Relevant
  • Fresh

A note about “fresh” content. Fresh doesn’t always mean recent. It can mean “not stale.” Content, if valuable can remain fresh for years. For example, this guest blog on quality content by SEO Expert Aaron Wall is more than four years old, but I think you will agree, the content is still fresh. And the page ranks #2 in Google for 'quality content.' You'll find some excellent ideas for quality, link worthy content there, too.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Friday, May 14, 2010 - Study Google's New PageRank Patent

Google’s Random Surfer Is Now Reasonable

Not all links are equal – and some links are more likely to be followed than others. Google’s new PR patent, granted on May 11 reflects that.
An excellent post by Bill Slawski explores the recent patent awarded to Google, Google's Reasonable Surfer: How the Value of a Link May Differ Based upon Link and Document Features and User Data.

The patent revises how Google regards a random surfer - you may recall that the original formula for PageRank, was put simplistically a calculation of the liklhood of a random surfer to click on a link.

Google's new patent sees the surfer differently:

Quote:
Systems and methods consistent with the principles of the invention may provide a reasonable surfer model that indicates that when a surfer accesses a document with a set of links, the surfer will follow some of the links with higher probability than others.

This reasonable surfer model reflects the fact that not all of the links associated with a document are equally likely to be followed. Examples of unlikely followed links may include “Terms of Service” links, banner advertisements, and links unrelated to the document.
Slawski’s post goes on to examine the characteristics of a link and what factors influence its value, including the number or links in a document, its position on a page or in a list, the number of links, the presence of other content. User behavior and its impact on PageRank calculation is also explored.

For serious SEOs, I believe this post and the patent is a must study. The post is a good place to start: http://www.seobythesea.com/?p=3806.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Saturday, May 15, 2010 - Picking the Right Keywords

Forgot to post a tip for Yesterday so this tip is actually for yesterday.

Some good advice in this blog post that will get you thinking more about the keywords you pick for your website.

Quote:
It is important to realize that picking the right key words is crucial to your SEO success.

Always remember that for search engine optimization, your end goal is to rank high in the search engines for key words most relevant and valuable to your web site. For example, if you run a pet dog business, you naturally want to rank high for key words such as ‘pet dogs’, ‘dogs for sale’, ‘pet dogs for sale’. Better yet, you can narrow down the key words to target very specific niches such...
Continued at: Picking the Right Keywords for SEO Success

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Monday, May 17, 2010 - The Zen of SEO: Beginner's Mind

So You Think You Know SEO? If you’re reading these tips, you probably know you still have something to learn. But when we work in a field for years, we tend to get into a groove in which we think we know what we’re talking about. Fortunately, whenever I get in that rut, I make a statement and some SEO who knows more than I do corrects me -- usually in a public forum where I get the opportunity to admit I was wrong.

The good news is that the beginner’s mind is the best place to be. When we know that we don’t know, we are teachable, and the possibilities for success expand well beyond the horizon. Can you remember what it was like when you first starting learning about SEO? It was confusing, perhaps, but it was also exciting to think that you could acquire some skills that would greatly improve your website’s position or your prospects for a new job, perhaps. Remember how hungry for information you were? It was almost like learning to ride a bike!

Imagine what you could learn today if you were that open! Try approaching the forum or your favorite SEO blog today with that same open mind. Forget what you have already achieved, or what you did yesterday or a minute ago. Take a deep breath and look on the next moment empty of the past and see what you can learn.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - KEI: Keyword Effectiveness Index

Calculating Keyword Effectiveness Index (KEI)

In a thread about long tailed vs. short tailed keywords, one of our members, N.A., suggested:
Quote:
You should target keywords which have more than 2000 'broad' searches per month AND which have less than 50,000-60,000 'phrase' match results. (use the keyword you get from Google keyword tool and search for the keyword with quotation marks and look at the number of results).

Any keyword with searches below 2000 will not be profitable enough. And any keyword which has results in google above 60000-70000 will be too tough.
Some SEOs get even more sophisticated and calculate the KEI (Keyword Effectiveness Index) for given terms. You can subscribe to software such as Keyword Discovery that will do analysis for you or you can learn to calculate it yourself. See: http://www.guruofsearch.com/keyword-effectiveness-index for one approach and several formulas.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - Site Speed & Performance Overview

With the more technical SEO topics, reading documentation can make my eyes glaze over. I find it easier to get started with something new if I can find a simple video presentation of the basics. Googler Maile Ohye has put together a well-organized video that explains Google’s need for speed and presents the tools you need to improve your site’s performance.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...itting-in.html

For those who like to read, there’s a Q&A below the video and links to more information.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Thursday, May 20, 2010 - Google Local Listings

New Service Area Tool Expands Listings
Getting into Google’s Local Business Listings is getting easier for business people who work from home, but want to keep that address private or which serve areas other than where their brick and mortar is located. The not-yet-officially-announced Service Area Tool is now available, Google’s Carter Maslan told Eric Enge in an interview last week. It’s still in the testing phases, but the tool should be available in most areas, he said. Read more: http://www.stonetemple.com/articles/...n-032710.shtml.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Friday, May 21, 2010 - Quality Link Exhanges An Oxymoron?

Are quality and reciprocal links diametrically opposed? I don't think so. Link exchanges are not the ticket to the top that they once were, and having reciprocals as a large part of your backlink strategy is not what I recommend. But links with relevant sites can be perfectly natural. You might create a resource for users linking to other local businesses or tools that are helpful to your audience. It is perfectly natural to ask the other webmasters for the courtesy of a returned link, and some will give it to you, some won’t. If you added the resources for the right reasons – useful content for your visitors – whether you get a link back won’t matter. It also makes sense to exchange mini articles with relevant sites. You each add content of value to each other’s site and get a contextual link back. Good for the users, good for traffic and good for SEO.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 10 Common SEO Mistakes

Do Not Make These 10 Common SEO Mistakes

This a good blog post to read and pay attention to what is mentioned in it. If you have any questions on anything mentioned in this blog post, please create a thread about it or see if we have a thread on that one issue already.

Quote:
The time has come to list the top 10 SEO mistakes committed by website owners worldwide.

If you are not too happy about your website’s rankings on the search engines, then look through this list and make sure that the website is not committing any of these mistakes.

I’ve decided to divide this article into 2 sections: on page SEO and off page SEO mistakes. As you read through this article, you will realise that the mistakes covered here are all based on my previous articles about SEO.

On Page SEO Mistakes

This section refers to SEO mistakes made on your actual website.
Continued at: Do Not Make These 10 Common SEO Mistakes

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day for Monday, May 24, 2010 - SEO Analysis Tool

SEO Tune Up – One of my favorite SEO analysis tools is this single page SEO Analyzer from SEOWorkers. The in-depth results includes an HTTP headers check, meta tags analysis, keywords relevance, URLs found in the page, keywords found in the anchor text, keywords in the 'alt' attribute of images, and heading & phrase elements. The analysis also includes helpful articles to explain the results as well as videos from Google to clarify best practices on alt attributes, titles and Google's use of meta descriptions.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum