Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day for Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 302 Redirect and 404 error page

Thanks James and Red for the tips. Please be sure to browse around the other pages for other tips that you may have missed. Feel free to create new threads to discuss some of the SEO tips that have been posted in here.

Ok back to the SEO tip for tonight or today. (Depending on time zone)

Using a 302 Redirect in Place of a 404 Error is a Bad Idea

Quote:
If your site is currently treating unavailable pages (404 errors) like temporary redirects (302 redirects) you may not have any problems with the search engines but your site is losing out on some important advantages of a proper 404 error.

The Way a 404 Normally Works

This is how a 404 normally works on a website when a search engine, let’s use Google, visits a URL (i.e address) on your website that cannot be found that was previously spidered/indexed as functional:
  • The visit produces a 404 error from the server. A 404 error is provided by your server when an Internet client (i.e. a browser, search engine, etc.) reaches a URL on your site that can not be produced by your server because it is no longer there or it is incorrect.
  • The first time Google encounters this 404 error, it does not remove your URL but it takes note the page is not available and the broken link/missing address will be mentioned in your Google Webmaster Tools dashboard for you to fix ASAP.
Continued at: Using a 302 Redirect in Place of a 404 Error is a Bad Idea

Remember this is the SEO tip of the day thread, so if you want to comment on this blog post, feel free to create a thread on V7N or reply to this blog post on sitepronews.

Thanks

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day for Thursday, July 22, 2010 - Working with Navigation in SEO

Tonights tip is from the SEOmoz blog. The pictures in this blog post helped me understand more. Pictures seem to make me see things more clearly then just reading sometimes. lol

Working with Navigation in SEO [SEO Fundamentals]

Quote:
Building a solid foundation in your site architecture using search engine friendly navigation is a founding principle in good search engine optimization, but what does that actually mean, and what recommendations can you make to enhance your clients (or your own) SEO?

In this article, we’ll look at a few examples of well coded, search friendly navigation and look at ways to enhance your site architecture for SEO.

Technically speaking

What makes for a spider friendly navigation? In today’s out of the box CMS world, most navigation is already pretty SEO friendly, but just every now and again you come across a real car crash of a navigation that needs rebuilding from scratch.
Continued at: Working with Navigation in SEO

The navigation bar is sort of important on your website. Making it easy for your visitors to navigate to all your pages and keeping the nav bar SEO friendly is a good thing to do. Please jump in the conversation and comment on the SEOmoz blog. Make sure to read the blog comments first so you don't repeat what someone said already.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:18 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day for Saturday, July 24, 2010 - Dealing with Link Loss

Todays tip is about dealing with Link Loss. Lot's of people have been dealing with this latley or just wondering why there ranking just dropped off all of a sudden. Some good things to know that's in this blog post i am sharing.

Dealing with Link Loss

Quote:
65% of competitive keywords are captured as a result of superior on page optimization? Dealing with link loss in this context does not imply losing links from external sites linking to yours, but rather the link equity squandered from sub optimal on page SEO efforts.

Feeding category pages: This is like patting your duplicate pages on the back and rewarding them. You can lose rankings as a result of having content across multiple categories, essentially robbing the original shingles (occurrences) of power.

There are two kinds of pages in a website (1) The ones you want to rank and (2) the ones helping the pages you want to rank. No need to turn your website into a hydra (with multiple heads all fighting for relevance).

Use canonical tags when possible, implement...
Continued at: Dealing with Link Loss

I do hope you have learned something from reading this blog post. Feel free to post your comment on the blog itself or jump right in one of the threads we have floating around the SEO section. A few members are already dealing with this type of thing.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Estimating the number of users behind an IP address

Todays tip is about Google estimating the number of users behind an IP address, and why they might do it. It comes from Bill Slawski, on his blog, SEO By The Sea.

How and Why Google Might Estimate the Number of Users Behind an IP Address

When you arrive a web page, the owner of that page might start collecting information about your visit for a number of reasons. One of the most commonly collected pieces of information is an internet protocol (or IP) address. An IP address is a number that can be associated with the way and the place that you access the Web.

The Difficulties of Using an IP Address as a Data Point
Your IP address might be assigned to a server or a router that you use to connect to the Web, or a proxy server or firewall that stands between the computer that you are using and the rest of the internet. You might go online on a computer that you share with other people at home or at a public place like a library, or at an office filled with other computers. You might share an IP address with roomates or family on the same computer, or use more than one computer through the same IP address.

Continued at: SEO By The Sea

I hope you have learned something worthwhile from reading this blog post. Feel free to post your comment on the blog itself or jump right in one of the threads we have floating around the SEO section.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, July 26, 2010 - SEO/Marketing In Other Languages

If you’re like most V7 members, your site is probably in English. You might want to consider that less than 1/3 of Internet users are estimated to be English speakers (see: http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm). So, translating into other languages could significantly increase your market reach. This is logical for tourism or real estate based sites in areas that attract international visitors, as well as many products. Check this post in Google’s Webmaster blog for information on multilingual sites: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...-websites.html

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 07-26-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - Meta Keywords Still Read by Bing

Meta Keywords Tag to Have a Renaissance?

Google may have tossed aside the meta keywords tag, but Bing still rates it – and since plans are to have Bing will be fully integrated with Yahoo by the end of 2010, the keyword meta tag deserves to be revisited. Here’s what Bing has to say about the meta keywords tag:

Quote:
Hello Archie,

Thank you for writing back to Bing Technical Support. My name is Arlene and I understand that you would like to know if Bing reads the keywords meta tag. I realize the importance of this matter.

Bing reads keywords meta tag. As MSNBot crawls a website, it analyzes the content on indexed webpages and generates keywords to associate with each webpage. MSNBot extracts webpage content that is most relevant to the keywords, and constructs the website description that appears in search results. The relevance of a website's content to keywords also affects the website's ranking.

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Bing.

Sincerely,
Arlene
Bing Technical Support
The most important note I see in the post is this reminder: “The relevance of a website's content to keywords also affects the website's ranking. “ In other words, using terms in your meta keyword tag that are not also in your content is not useful.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - Golden Keywords

Why Long Tails Convert

As web searchers become smarter, they learn that one or two words rarely as powerful for finding what they want as longer tailed phrases. They learn this naturally when they find that one word or two is not as likely to provide a relevant result in the SERPs as 3 or more. Indeed, Most – 54.5% - of the search strings in Google are now 4 words or more!

Not only tare searchers using longer phrases, analysis of click behavior also shows users are more likely to click through on 3 words as for two and even more likely when the phrase is 4 words. (see: http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/keyword-stats.html)

So who is more likely to buy? Someone who types in cell phone or verizon wireless cell phone models? Or even better: Verizon BlackBerry Essex 9650?

Free tools such as http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/gtrends/ and Google External Keyword tool can help you find your terms. Start with your basic one or two word search and then when you find a third word, make that your query to drill down for longer and longer terms. An Adwords account set up with conversion tracking can go a long way to help you determine where your golden keywords are.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - Testing On Neutral Domains

Serious about SEO? Perhaps you should do some serious testing. Any SEO can benefit from purchasing some domains to use for SEO experiments. Try purchasing one with keywords and one without and see which ranks better. Test whether content is king. How about testing the title tag? You could test to see whether a longer string dilutes the keyword phrase. In other words which title is more effective:

Title: Keyword 1 Keyword 2 Keyword 3 | Company Name and Slogan

vs.

Title: Keyword 1 Keyword 2 Keyword 3
How about testing the weight of the description meta tag? Or whether the meta keyword really is read and used as a ranking factor in Bing. You might test the power of linking out to authority sites. Obviously you can apply those to any sites you manage. But this sort of testing can also be published on your own site, and may turn out to be great link bait.

I'd also encourage you to post any test results here on V7. Perhaps even in this thread.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, July 30, 2010 - Article Directory

Create Your Own Article Directory

Instead of starting a blog on your own site (or perhaps in addition to an on site blog) start an independent blog for your industry. There are templates for ‘article directory’ style word press sites which easily allow guest authors. Establish logical categories and invite bloggers and article marketers in your industry to post. Don’t be afraid of the competition; instead, let them help you build an authoritative site for your niche, which will support your main website. It also increases your visibility and profile in your niche. Do you manage sites in more than one niche? Consider a general article directory.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - Remove No-Follow From Your Blog

Allow Your Blog Comments to be Followed

Would you like to increase traffic and value for your blog? Allow comments to be followed! Blog comments can add value and content to your blog, but if you don’t allow the links to be followed, you’ll have fewer participants - and less traffic! Less spam, too, I know, but there is a way to reduce spam and build community for your blog. Allow links to be followed, but moderate them. And make a clear policy statement on your blog that explains that you will not tolerate spam of any kind, but that comments that add value will be approved.

Even if you’re blog is on blogspot, you can make your comments followed – here’s a simple way to remove the no-follow attribute from your free blog: http://freeseotipsandtricks.blogspot...ute-on_30.html.

Now, add your blog to the do follow blog lists like http://followlist.com/ and http://nicusor.com/do-follow-list/ and watch your traffic and community grow.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, August 2, 2010 - Validating Embedded YouTube Videos

Are you embedding a You Tube video on your website? For those SEOs who think site validation is important, the YouTube EMBED tag is not valid for XHTML. Here’s a handy tutorial from SEOWorkers to teach you how to use RDFa code to ensure your code validates. Website Architect and SEO consultant John Britios says embedded videos won't validate without these changes to the code and believes validation is an important element in SEO.

Britios, aka Webnauts in the forum world, says:

Quote:
It’s no small benefit, either, that this change to your embedding technique will allow better visibility in the social search arena, which appears to be rapidly becoming the central driving force of web search.
Read the tutorial:

http://www.seoworkers.com/seo-articl...deos-rdfa.html

Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, August 3, 2010 - White Hat Isn't SEO

Want to sleep easily at night unconcerned about what Google might do tomorrow? Follow only the squeakiest clean practices: clean code, well constructed site architecture, and great content. Don’t do anything you wouldn’t be happy to tell Matt Cutts.

That’s the message of guest blogger Ken Envoy in Say Your Final Prayers, Black Hat SEOs: http://blog.traffick.com/2010/06/say...y-dr-ken-evoy/

Ken Envoy defines SEO as everything but the whitest of the so-called White Hats:
Quote:
I define SEO as the manipulation of search engines to produce search results which rank their Web pages (or those of their clients) “incorrectly high.” I do not consider pure “white hat” practices to fall within the definition.
Black Hat techniques, whether state of the art, or traditional keyword stuffing basics won't survive. In the long run, Google will find them. He relates several anecdotes of major black hat schemes and schemers flattened by Google. Read the entire story: http://blog.traffick.com/2010/06/say...y-dr-ken-evoy/

Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 - The UnBounced Landing Page

Your placement is great, but you have a problem with your bounce rate and conversions?

Check out the The Unbounce Blog and its 544 tips on creating a better landing page.

It's a compendium of posts around the Internet with titles such as: 10 Tips for Writing the Ultimate Landing Page, 108 Ways to Improve Your Conversion Rate, Why your bounce rate is high and how to fix it – top 6 reasons why visitors immediately exit your website; and Optimizing Conversion Rates: It’s All About Usability.

Find all 544 (and counting) tips here:
http://unbounce.com/conversion-rate-...mization-tips/.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, August 5, 2010 - Twenty Basic Tips for SEO Newbies

Today's SEO tip of the day is just some tips that you may or maynot know. Who knows, 2 tips in this blog post may help you out a lot. Anyways, just take a look at this blog post i am linking ya'll to.

Twenty Basic Tips for SEO Newbies

Quote:
If you have a website and are trying to earn a living from it, then you need to know Search Engine Optimization. SEO is key to driving more visitors to your site. More visitors means more business, so you definitely need to read on.

As with anything, you can take it to the limit and hire an expert in the field, but there are things that you and your web designer should be doing to optimize your search engine rankings. Here is a list of 20 things you can do now, to increase traffic to your website.
Continued at: Tips for SEO Newbies

So far a few people have posted comments on this blog post on sitepronews. If you like this blog post or even want to add a few tips of your own, please post your comments on sitepronews. If you want to talk about a few tips mentioned, please create a thread in the SEO section so we can discuss.

Thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, August 6, 2010 - Dynamic Pages and How to Handle Them

Todays SEO tip of the day is about dynamic pages. Yes, i am a litle late in updating this thread but i actually did forget about doing this.

Dynamic Pages and How to Handle Them

Quote:
Most pages on a website were traditionally static, but with the advent of ‘real time results’ many of us have pages that are dynamic.

In the past posts, all the optimization strategies that we discussed were basically for static pages. However, not all websites or not all the pages of a website are static. Most websites today have a combination of static plus dynamic pages. We need to have both static pages as well as the dynamic pages optimized for the search engines. This is where many webmasters struggles.

Let us try to take a quick look at how dynamic pages are created. The first point that we need to know is that dynamic pages are not like your static pages that are stored in your server and accessed as the address is accessed. Dynamic pages are just temporary pages that are generated on the fly as it were. So they do not reside in your server. The URLs or the web addresses of these dynamic pages are created on the fly. These pages will be based on a template that is stored in the server. One of the best examples of dynamic pages are the products pages in an ecommerce site.

When you ,,,
Continued at: Dynamic Pages and How to Handle

There is more good blog posts on this site if you wish to read more tips. If you want to discusss dynamic pages then create a thread on V7N if there is not a thread already.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:03 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, August 7, 2010 - Website Maintenance

Here is a tip for yesterday. I had left the house for a few hours last night and just forgot about this sticky thread.

Website Maintenance

Quote:
SEO is a horse race with an ever changing finish line. Algorithms change, links go bad, you need fresh content. If you ever let up you’ll be overwhelmed by the competitors racing behind you and go down in a whirlwind of hooves and trampling! There is always one more link to add, one more page to include, one more avenue to explore. It never ends. However, there are things that only have to be done once, and you will see your time spent on each site slowly dwindle as they take on a life of their own.

The important thing to remember when you are done with the basic SEO work, is to keep track of your progress. You should attentively carry out periodic checking of your status for all the keywords in various search engines, and keep careful tabs on the number of live back links for your website as some links will always expire or be moved or become inactive.

You must maintain a balance with...
Website Maintenance

Old 08-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, August 8, 2010 - Using Wordpress as a Traditional CMS

Do you want to utilize a CMS (Content Management System) on your site? Do you already have a CMS, but arent' happy with it? There's an EXCELLENT CMS available, and it'll cost you nothing!

Wordpress! Read on:

Quote:
People often want to create a site that doesn’t look like a blog. Usually, if you ask them enough questions, you’ll find that they want to have a site that mostly consists of “static” pages (content which doesn’t change very often). They want a home page that isn’t a list of reverse chronological, ever-changing blog posts. They probably want to include a blog as a subsection of the site, but not have it be the focal point of the site.
These people usually either create static HTML sites (difficult to manage), or they use a traditional CMS application. A CMS allows them to dynamically generate and manage “static” (or rarely-changing) content. They usually don’t consider using WordPress to create and manage these types of sites. Because WordPress has its roots as a blogging tool, it can easily be overlooked as excellent way to manage content of any sort. Don’t be fooled by its normal use as a blog-centric content manager. Content is content, and WordPress rocks as an easy way to manage content.

Read the rest of Dazzlin' Donna's informative and instructive post, at Using Wordpress as a Traditional CMS

One other aspect of using WordPress that Donna doesn't mention... it has a very clean and stable architecture, which the SEs seem to love!

Donna's got many more useful articles on her site. If you want to discuss Wordpress as a CMS, feel free to start a thread on it.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Go to SEO conferences and seminars. Meet with people who specialize in SEO. Learn any tips you can from them.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:56 PM
V7N Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutthat View Post
Go to SEO conferences and seminars. Meet with people who specialize in SEO. Learn any tips you can from them.
This is an excellent tip. Many years ago someone told me that a good way to be successful was to find someone that I considered to be successful at what I do, and work on following the steps that they took. If you surround yourself with professionals, literally make it your business to learn, it can make a huge difference.

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, August 9, 2010 - SEM Marketing Conferences

Very good tip howboutthat.

Staying on the conference talk, i did some searching for more information and came up with a few sites for everyone to look at if they are thinking about attending a conference or seminar later on down the road.

Sites i have found as follows:

SMX - Search Marketing Expo

SES Conference & Expo

Pubcon

Please take your time and look around the sites i have mentioned.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum