Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 04-28-2010, 01:56 PM
SEO Fanatic

Unhappy Cached but not Indexed

I have a problem with a site I just took on.

It is cached by Google and it comes up for a few keywords pretty high in Google. It has a PR of 3 so Google definitely knows it is there.

However, when I do site:website.com it doesn't show me any results. (it does in Yahoo and Bing) It is being redirected (301) from another site so I tried the other site just in case but nothing.

The robots txt file says:
Quote:
User-Agent: *
Disallow:
Disallow: /bustcard/
We just changed that yesterday. It used to say:
Quote:
User-Agent: *
Allow: /
Disallow: /bustcard/

I have created an xml sitemap and submitted it via webmaster tools. It has been accepted but shows 0 urls indexed

I have asked Google for a reinclusion just in case but I know it can take weeks, IF they decide to do anything about it.

I can't find anything on the site that would piss Google off. I have asked to talk to the old webmaster to see what he did.

Any ideas - suggestions?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

About the sitemap issue. i had the same thing today when i was checking my site in webmaster tool's. I have not changed anything in months and found out why the sitemap issue. Read this blog post about it. http://searchengineland.com/known-is...ex-count-40873

Please note, the sitemap issue is fixed since i can now see my correct amount on indexed URL's in webmaster tools. (I had re-submitted it about 5 times today till i read that blog post. lol)

Old 04-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Banned

Yesterday I have my indexed page in G webmaster was 0 (earlier it was 400+) so I was very worried, but today every think is okay and now it is showing more indexed pages.
I yesterday all blogs hosted on blogspot with custom domain were down for more than 1 hours.
These these issue may be at google end.
So wait for some time.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 AM
Banned

That sounds like a very strange anomaly. Fair warning, though - the site: operator is not what it used to be and often omits urls that still are indexed. You will often see urls appear for site:example.com/dirname/ that do not show up for site:example.com

So don't use site: operator results as your only input. You can also just put the url into the regular search box, and remember the inurl: operator, too. Everytime googlebot visits does not necessarily result a changed date on the cache server, especially in a timely manner. Sometimes googlebot visits, but the cache server backs up to an even earlier date! The only dependable stat on googlebot visits comes from your own server logs.

Caching often takes a little longer than indexing. But make sure you don't set any meta tags to say "noarchive".

Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 AM
Banned

I started new website and it took one week for Google to reach my site..

I suggest you to wait for some time and I suggest yoo to Social Bookmark your site to get quick indexing, i got result because of that only..!
One way of getting indexed quicker is to get a couple of links form high PR sites. If you have 2 links from sites with PR7 you can get indexed straight away. The lower the page rank the more links you need. An other way is, can submit under do follow sites so that you can easily get the page rank. Then and there updation of your site is very essential which makes your site to be frequently visited by the spider.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:28 AM
SEO Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannah is awesome View Post
That sounds like a very strange anomaly. Fair warning, though - the site: operator is not what it used to be and often omits urls that still are indexed. You will often see urls appear for site:example.com/dirname/ that do not show up for site:example.com

So don't use site: operator results as your only input. You can also just put the url into the regular search box, and remember the inurl: operator, too. Everytime googlebot visits does not necessarily result a changed date on the cache server, especially in a timely manner. Sometimes googlebot visits, but the cache server backs up to an even earlier date! The only dependable stat on googlebot visits comes from your own server logs.

Caching often takes a little longer than indexing. But make sure you don't set any meta tags to say "noarchive".
thanks for your input.

I strongly believe that it came from a wrong robots txt that allow everything instead of disallowing nothing.

We changed it yesterday and now it shows 38 pages indexed.

I very strongly doubt that it came from the request from reinclusion because I did it two days ago.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:31 AM
SEO Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Collision View Post
I started new website and it took one week for Google to reach my site..

I suggest you to wait for some time and I suggest yoo to Social Bookmark your site to get quick indexing, i got result because of that only..!
One way of getting indexed quicker is to get a couple of links form high PR sites. If you have 2 links from sites with PR7 you can get indexed straight away. The lower the page rank the more links you need. An other way is, can submit under do follow sites so that you can easily get the page rank. Then and there updation of your site is very essential which makes your site to be frequently visited by the spider.
The only difference is that this website has been around for a while, has a PR 3 already and was "optimized" by its designer. It even ranks number 2 for keywords like "Criminal Lawyer City"

But thanks for your input - again, I believe it came from the robots.txt file because we changed that yesterday, resubmitted the sitemap and it is indexed today.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 AM
v7n Mentor

I hate it when people say, "I heard ..." and don't back it up. I tried to find it, but I can't unearth the reference, but a webmaster I respect told me he read that Google has made some changes recently to the site operator to make it less accurate - similar to what they did to the link operand.

For my , I use the cache as my guide. If it's cached, it's indexed. Some better-SEO-than-I may correct me - and I am always happy to learn - but for today, that's how I see it.

I will ask my friend if he can find the reference, and if he does, I will post it later.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:57 AM
SEO Fanatic

it does make sense.

For example, the site: command sometimes shows let's say 65 pages, but when you click on the second page, it drops to 43.

Another step towards less transparency for the general public.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

why don't you go other way around by submitting to different social bookmarking sites and keep doing it for one week. hope things will get better for you.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstrade View Post
me too facing same problem with my site, some pages are cached for long time but still they are not indexed, I updated the content of those pages but sitll case is same. Now i m resubmitting those into google, lets c what will be up.
You think Google saves a page (caches it) that it doesn't index?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum