Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 12-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

What can I do prior to design?

I want to get started on my SEO work, for Meteora Stuids, I have never really done much with SEO, so I was woundering what I could do as I am working on the design, so I can launch the site with good SEO.

Also, I was going to start doing some keyword reseach, how do I do this? can someone point me to a old topic or explain how to do it??

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2003, 02:47 AM

Try this

http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

As for tips use h1 tags. Change the size of them to make them fit in with the text. Make them like subheaders and put some keywords in them. That should help.

Old 12-04-2003, 03:21 AM

Also use the free trial at wordtracker.com for keywords. Don't worry too much about the numbers by themselves - just watch out for rations between similar keyphrases.

As for SEO of a design - your internal links are very important, so ensure your nav menus are text based, and keyword rich where possible. That should help for starters.

Old 12-04-2003, 11:00 AM

Oh and hold your breath. At this point SEO is a toss-up. No one knows what Google will do next... :wink:

Old 12-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardesign
Try this

http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

As for tips use h1 tags. Change the size of them to make them fit in with the text. Make them like subheaders and put some keywords in them. That should help.
What do you mean use H1 tags?

Old 12-04-2003, 11:52 AM

<h1>H1 Text</h1>

Google likes text in those areas. Put your keywords in those

Old 12-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

why H1? why does google like those tags so much? Anomore suggestions, on how I can get some good positioning by my launch date, can someone point me to some good articles on SEO and Marketing?

Old 12-04-2003, 12:23 PM

Well, because they are header tags, and it thinks there is important text in there

Old 12-04-2003, 12:33 PM

Use css to change them to match in with your main page though otherwise they are way too big. See http://www.blueuniverse.co.uk/xtemplates/ for an example < look at the source code

Old 12-05-2003, 05:47 AM
No Longer Active

Personally I prefer this over the overture suggestion tool: http://namemage.com/

Old 12-05-2003, 06:47 AM

You're kidding, right? Non-hyphenated domain names for phrases, and meta-tags lists??

Old 12-05-2003, 06:47 AM

ok, sorry but the help here seems to be a little weak, i'll take a few minutes to chime in real quick for you chris.

Of course domain name is always something to consider, which you have already taken care of. Something i've seen bring about good success is before you actually launch the site to the public put up some sort of coming soon page. On this page just give a little description of the service. Make sure you throw in plenty of key terms that you are looking to target in the main site. That way the searches will pick up that site and go ahead and begin to index you under those keyterms right at the start.

Also is good once you do that to go ahead and give yourself some links on some of your other sites which are already indexed by the search engines. This is a much quicker way of being indexed than the typical submitting via form and waiting several months before indexing, you can usualy acheive indexing in a month or less if you play it right.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:49 AM

Certainly is weak - there must be a link to content SEO up in John's articles - how about this: http://www.internet-marketing-resear...opywriting.php

Old 12-05-2003, 11:27 AM

The structure of your site is important, plus the layout of the code. As pointed out above, text links (not JS, Flash or image map links) are important for the spiders to crawl around your site.

layout the code so the copy is near the top and the spiders can get to easily.

Make sure the code is HTML valid, cross browser comaptible and not too big - probably more of a usability issue.

One other design issue is to make the site so you can add and expand it easily. This way any new phrases that you spot means you can easily add new pages referring to them.

When looking at keyphrases, Overture suggestion tool is good (as well as wordtracker) but the important thing is to compare these results with Google (and other engines) results. 'Britney nude' is popular in the Overture tool but it's also popular in Google - you need to find a balance between popular searches and search results where you can get near the top. I'm not saying don't even bother with popular results, but 10 pages ranking in the top 10 targetting niche phrases can drive the same traffic as one popular phrase - the difference is that the targetted phrase will drive targetted traffic.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:41 PM

what i wanna know is when is a billion $ company like goolge wiv a frickin brain surgeon running its network going to devise some more intelligent spiders/bots that dont act like legacy browsers!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2003, 04:04 PM

Now I'm lost.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum