Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM
techlunatic's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-11
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
RSI

I agree, just mentioning a small addition here , that feature of valuing links on the basis of where they are placed is called RSI (Random Surfers Model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
You may be right; that relevance of a link is not proven as a ranking factor, but I would wager money it has weight. In any case, if it isn't a factor now, we can be sure it will be. See: Google's Reasonable Surfer: How the Value of a Link May Differ Based upon Link and Document Features and User Data.

And whether it's a ranking factor or not, it's a usability factor of the highest order, and that means it highly impacts the quality and quantity of *traffic* and conversions you will get from a link.
 
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlunatic View Post
I agree, just mentioning a small addition here , that feature of valuing links on the basis of where they are placed is called RSI (Random Surfers Model)
RSI = RSM?

The Random Surfer Model is a purely stochastic walk of links, and is wholly independent of link placement within a document.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 PM
techlunatic's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 03-26-11
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Apologies there was a typo about the RSI .

The original PageRank algorithm reflects the so-called random surfer model, meaning that the PageRank of a particular page is derived from the theoretical probability of visiting that page when clicking on links at random. However, real users do not randomly surf the web, but follow links according to their interest and intention. A page ranking model that reflects the importance of a particular page as a function of how many actual visits it receives by real users is called the intentional surfer model

- And that is not mine , its a quote from wikipedia .
 
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlunatic View Post
The original PageRank algorithm reflects the so-called random surfer model, meaning that the PageRank of a particular page is derived from the theoretical probability of visiting that page when clicking on links at random. However, real users do not randomly surf the web, but follow links according to their interest and intention. A page ranking model that reflects the importance of a particular page as a function of how many actual visits it receives by real users is called the intentional surfer model

- And that is not mine , its a quote from wikipedia .
And, therefore, by definition, the Random Surfer Model assumes that links are randomly selected, independent of their position in a document.

What MJ is alluding to is not random surfing, but link selection that is dependent on position.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
mjtaylor's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-01-10
Location: Key West/Asheville
Posts: 5,424
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Okay, back on the topic of actual link *building* tactics: this mornings SEO Tip of The Day, outlined 8 link building tips from Matt Cutts. Well worth a read if quality link building is on your agenda.
__________________
Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter at your service.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.
 
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2011, 12:52 AM
HTMLBasicTutor's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: 10-29-07
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 21,094
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Linking Out Instead of Link Building to Rank in Google

Was Stumbling and found this about how linking out has helped the author to rank in Google:
Quote:
Recently I noticed that the SEOptimise blog ranks at #1 for the query [seo blog] in Google.co.uk

Then it dawned on me why we rank at #1: the single most important factor to getting there was linking out.

Yes, it wasn’t link building or even getting links; it was simply linking out. You could argue that it’s lots of great content etc, but many SEO blogs from the UK have great content. Nobody is linking out like we do though.

...

Moreover, Matt Cutts acknowledged in 2009 that outbound links are a ranking factor.
Read the whole article here: Linking Out Instead of Link Building to Rank in Google
__________________

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.
 
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 AM
MonkeyDance's Avatar
Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 03-27-11
Location: Banana Tree
Posts: 33
iTrader: 0 / 0%
If outbound links were really that important, Link farms and exchange pages should see a benefit - unless it's limited to just linking to high authority pages - which seems flawed because you're just reinforcing a small sub-sect of sites.
 
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2011, 02:03 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
The claim of Tad Chef, the blogger who wrote the cited piece, is purely speculative, based on a single incidence of anecdotal evidence in an uncontrolled environment. He did no testing; but, simply jumped to an unsubstantiated conclusion.

What Matt Cutts actually said, in response to a specific question, was:
Quote:
Q: Okay, but doesn’t this encourage me to link out less? Should I turn off comments on my blog?
A: I wouldn’t recommend closing comments in an attempt to “hoard” your PageRank. In the same way that Google trusts sites less when they link to spammy sites or bad neighborhoods, parts of our system encourage links to good sites.
It is a very big leap indeed to draw from that the conclusion that "the single most important factor to getting there was linking out."

It is an even greater leap to conclude that Tad's experience is reproducible under controlled conditions.

Tad himself admits that he's speculating, by way of this statement.
Quote:
Of course I cannot prove the theory that linking out made us rank; it’s my gut feeling.
Furthermore, what he says should be taken with a very large grain of salt, as he clearly lacks a proper undertanding of a basic issue such as PageRank, as evidenced by this.
Quote:
Note that both SEO blogs mentioned above have a PageRank of 5, while we only have a 3. SEOptimise is linking out more than getting links in from other industry publications, so that we actually lose PageRank. As toolbar PageRank is not really a ranking factor but just a metric measuring the number of incoming vs outgoing links, it proves the point even more.
__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."

Last edited by deepsand; 04-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 AM
snakeair's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Southampton, NJ
Posts: 49,859
iTrader: 3 / 100%
How to Undermine Your Link Building

Search Engine Journal has a very good blog post to look at. Some of the things mentioned may jog your memory.

Quote:
The road to hell isn’t the only one paved with good intentions. Most of us set out with the best motives, but somewhere along the way things go wrong. Sometimes our mistakes are a result of inexperience, other times it’s just carelessness or short sightedness.

We screw up because we don’t think things through, because we don’t see what’s right in front of us or the damage we are actually doing. In link building we make these mistakes when we’re in a hurry. When we’re more concerned with getting any links than going after the links we should be, and at the right time. It leads us to make errors that seem like a good idea in the moment. There are a lot of ways for a link building campaign to go awry, but here are some of the most common.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/h...uilding/28939/

FYI, this blog post covers these subjects:

* Mass Emails and other Jerk Behaviors
* Target the Wrong Sites
* Build Links to a Bad site
__________________
WP Outcast - WordPress News, Tips & Theme Release's

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast
 
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2011, 04:46 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 04-07-11
Location: Mclean
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if I can participate here but I'm willing to share ideas so here it goes.
1) Offering a little for free can help. For example if you are a web developer, you can offer/share some free tips, some goodies etc. to your visitors. If they like it they wont mind coming/linking back to you. I've provided free seo reports to many people in the past, most of them liked it and in return gave me a very prominent link on their website. Offering some free tips/services also gives you the opportunity to show your knowledge and expertise to prospective clients. If you are really good it at they will eventually end up buying your service OR referring your service to others.
 
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2011, 10:35 PM
snakeair's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Southampton, NJ
Posts: 49,859
iTrader: 3 / 100%
4 No-Nonsense, Panda-Friendly Link-Building Tips

Here is some information that was on the SEO.com blog. Feel free to post your comments on the blog.

Quote:
Allow me to take a little of the hassle, monotony, and time commitment out of creating quality, long-lasting, third-party links that will pass the “Panda” test and will deliver long-lasting results.

Building high-value links is a constant, every-day challenge for search engine optimization companies and professionals. Building links that aren’t contrived and self-promoting in appearance is a particularly challenging task, as search engines are diligently enhancing their ability to sniff out those types of links.

Now before you skip to the list, ask yourself: what would you say is the leading reason you’re not getting third party links currently?

If you’re not inviting visitors to link to you, wouldn’t you say that might be a leading reason?

I know, it sounds simple; but I’m surprised at the amount of websites and clients I see that don’t invite visitors to link to them. It’s time to honestly assess your own website (and client websites, if applicable) and begin inviting others to start linking for you!
Continued at: http://www.seo.com/blog/4-nononsense...building-tips/
__________________
WP Outcast - WordPress News, Tips & Theme Release's

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast
 
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 04-09-11
Location: Belper, Derbyshire
Posts: 52
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Snakeair, you have a great point. I'm a member of a networking group,it's been suggested time and time again that we all write a short article on our specialism with a text link on the bottom to another member. Even these people that know each other and recommended on a daily bases won't bother with it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 04-20-11
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I am very new to this Seo game, and I am trying to rank organically, by myself, learning as I go. It is taking time, but I am slowly moving up the ranks. I have been doing the following
1. Provide a regularly updated blog
2. Link to relevant forums
3. Answer wiki questions
4. Comment on relevant blogs
5. Submit articles
6. Some social bookmarking
7. Limited directory submissions, I don't want to pay, and don't seem to be getting any despises.


Am I missing anything?
I would welcome any comments
Thanks, Suzanne
 
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 04-19-11
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Lightbulb ranking up the site

I am working on the search engine optimization and the techniques that the seo are used I am also using these techniques to rank up the site in the search engine and the techniques are the blog posting blog commenting and article posting these techniques that i am follow for ranking up my site in the search engine. I am create the site on the hairstyles that have the different hairstyles and also have their types are also been discussed on my site. The link is also given below in the back linking track. this techniques are really work.
 
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 04-09-11
Location: Belper, Derbyshire
Posts: 52
iTrader: 0 / 0%
@skirky, That's a pretty good list. I assume you didn't add "Write good, relevant contend for your site" because we all know that's a major player
 
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Morgan View Post
I assume you didn't add "Write good, relevant contend for your site" because we all know that's a major player
Well, by definition, any content that you place on your site is relevant to your site.

Such "relevancy" is immaterial to gaining inbound links, which is the subject at hand.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 PM
HTMLBasicTutor's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: 10-29-07
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 21,094
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Morgan View Post
"Write good, relevant contend for your site" because we all know that's a major player
It certainly does! Easiest way to get backlinks without much more work than punching out great relevant content your target audience wants. You need fresh content to get people coming back anyways. It just snowballs as they spread the word for you verbally, in mailinglists, on forums and on social networks.
__________________

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.
 
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
It certainly does! Easiest way to get backlinks without much more work than punching out great relevant content your target audience wants. You need fresh content to get people coming back anyways. It just snowballs as they spread the word for you verbally, in mailinglists, on forums and on social networks.
Relevant content is whatever the site owner wants on his site.

Relevancy is a comparative measure involving two or more things. One cannot compare ones own content with ones own content.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."

Last edited by deepsand; 04-21-2011 at 11:08 PM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 03-01-10
Posts: 92
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Go into a niche with a partner where you each build a site - link back and forth to each other on your sites - then in your back link building campaign always build a link for both sites. This makes your chances of getting to the top twice as likely and twice as easy. Of course you have to do this with someone oh trust so you are both doing near equal work.
__________________
Wealthy Affiliate University - top reason for me being a full time online marketer.
Worldwide Brands Review - taught me to become a profitable drop shipper and how to find real wholesalers.
 
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2011, 03:22 PM
snakeair's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Southampton, NJ
Posts: 49,859
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Creating content that gets natural backlinks

While looking for something else, i just stumbled on this blog post.

Quote:
We all want high quality backlinks to our sites. But here is the question: If you came across your site and were not aware that it was yours, would YOU link to it? Is it so remarkable and extraordinary that even a seasoned website owner like you would want your blog readers to know about it?

If you wouldn’t even link to you then it’s likely no one else will either.

Backlinks are the fuel of search engine rankings, and without them you cannot expect to get even a reasonable amount of search engine traffic. We are not supposed to build these backlinks. We are supposed to create great content and let the flood gates open, as if we believe the “if you build it they will come” theory. So let’s assume that all we need to do is create great content and people will link to us. You may not believe the premise to be true, but let’s roll with it in this article. This idea begs the following question:
Continued at: http://raventools.com/blog/creating-...ral-backlinks/
__________________
WP Outcast - WordPress News, Tips & Theme Release's

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Escalate Media




Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.