Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 10-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Your logo is an image, not a <h1>

Why do people waste their h1 tag by using it to surround an image or even use the background property of the h1 tag to place their logo on a web page?

Quote:
Your logo is content
Your logo is content, not style. Style vs. content, in the web standards sense of the term, pertains to information and content that is required to be present/accessible irrespective of the presence of styles (in other words, CSS).

A logo is content. Letís use Nike as an example throughout. Regardless of whether Nikeís site is blue, red or green, their logo will always be Ďthatí swoosh. The logo is totally independent of the siteís surrounding styles as the logo is content.
Your logo isnít a <h1>
So weíve proved that a logo is content, but letís now prove that it isnít a <h1>, a commonly held practice for marking up logos.
The <h1> element is defined as being the uppermost, all-encompassing title of a page.
A logo is an image, a <h1> is a title. Your logo is never a background image, itís never secondary content to anything. It is content in its own right and should be treated as such. Your logo is an image.

If you take only one thing from this article, let it be that your logo is content, therefore an image.
Your logo is an image, not a <h1>

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Im not completely sold on this H1 shiznit.

I've made a lot of sites in my life and i swear the keywords used in H1 never get used.

Either way, My end result is the same and works great ( so I wont be changing what I do.. )

Just my 2c

Old 10-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Right. They're wasting an <H1> tag, which is a major on-page SEO factor on an image. The target keywords should be in between <H1> tags.

This tag might be the edge you need against your ranking competitors.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

A lot of sites are actually designed like this for elegance. There is nothing wrong, as long as you make this up on other parts of your content.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcartman View Post
A lot of sites are actually designed like this for elegance. There is nothing wrong, as long as you make this up on other parts of your content.
I agree,
People spent TOOOOO much time worrying about H1 , Keyword density etc etc.

If you write a decent flowing !USEFUL! website. It WILL be picked up on.

As ive said, I dont worry too much about H1 and my keywords dont really appear for it.
However my site ranks very well for the stuff im targetting.

infact ive seen a 2000% increase in organic hits this month. With around 5 hits a minute from google.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcartman View Post
Yes, a lot of sites use the h1 tag around their logo or top page image but it is structurally wrong.

The h1 tag is the top most heading tag in a web page structure.
Quote:
Heading hierarchy works the same way on the web as it does in print. Web users are generally in a hurry so they look for headings to see if they want to stop and take the time to read the whole web page. Web users also skim in search of what they specifically are looking for. Having a heading hierarchy will help them find what it is they are looking for.

The heading tags available in HTML should not be used as a means to format something that is not a heading. This messes up the heading hierarchy for the search engines and those who use technology to read web pages to them.
Heading Hierarchy

Quote:
Search engines find the heading tags in the web page coding. e.g. <h2></h2> would surround a heading 2.

Each search engine has a different way of prioritizing the importance of headings therefore it is important to use the heading tags correctly to create proper heading structure.
Heading Structure and Search Engine Optimization

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 10-19-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

I've messed around with H1 tags on our website that has "fairly" good rankings. The impacts were quite strange. We went from 3 H1 tags to 1 H1 tag and the rankings dropped substantially, so we went back to 2 H1 tags and things went back to normal. I'm not entirely sure if this was the effect of the H1 tags or other factors, but the end result is, H1 tags may have an impact, but they are not the cure-all for good SEO.

Thanks,

Last edited by snakeair; 10-18-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: use the signature feature

Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachihawaii View Post
I've messed around with H1 tags on our website that has "fairly" good rankings. The impacts were quite strange. We went from 3 H1 tags to 1 H1 tag and the rankings dropped substantially, so we went back to 2 H1 tags and things went back to normal. I'm not entirely sure if this was the effect of the H1 tags or other factors, but the end result is, H1 tags may have an impact, but they are not the cure-all for good SEO.
When you went from 3 H1 tags to 1 did you use the other heading tags to breakup your text?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
When you went from 3 H1 tags to 1 did you use the other heading tags to breakup your text?
No, I did not. Our website is programmed far beyond my technical abilities in aspx, so I've been working with the original web designer on the SEO specifics. His design creates two identical H1 tags on the header and the footer of the page. I asked him to remove the one on the footer, and I removed the one that I had created in the body of the text.

Our rankings for our primary search term "Luxury Hawaii Real Estate" took a big hit from this change, so I reinstated my H1 tag with this title. As of that change and as of now, we are using two H1 tags, one automatically generated by the web designer that duplicates the title of the site, and one with just "Luxury Hawaii Real Estate".

We don't have any other header tags as of now, primarily because the design aesthetics of the site do not allow for much flexibility, so we try and compensate in other areas.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum