Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 PM
v7n Mentor

SEO Crystal Ball – My Five Top SEO Predictions for 2011

It wouldn’t be a New Year without predictions and resolutions. This year doesn’t really require much of a crystal ball -- there were a couple of recent news items and predictions that will have a clear impact on how SEOs operate this year. Below are the top five trends in SEO I see for 2011, and some notes and resources on how to make the most of these opportunities.

1. Mobile Search SEO will become as important as standard web site search optimization. If the prediction of CNN/Fortune’s Seth Weintraub is correct -- that ½ billion smartphones will be sold this coming year -- smartphones will surpass computers as a way to access the Internet in 2011. Optimizing for mobile search will become as critical as traditional website SEO. Most of the same principles apply but titles and descriptions need to be shorter and punchier – content, too! For some businesses, the ticket is to get a separate .mobi domain and gear a site entirely toward the mobile search audience. More on mobile search: http://searchengineland.com/the-new-...-to-know-40101.

2. Social Networking to Explode. Since Google and Bing confirmed that http://www.v7n.com/forums/seo-forum/...itter+facebook Twitter and Facebook have an impact on rankings, social media activity is set to increase exponentially. If you aren’t actively Tweeting, increasing followers and updating your Facebook Page now, you want to make that your top 2011 New Year’s SEO resolution.

Tips for increasing your followers on Twitter and Facebook: Friends, Fans and Followers - How Did You Find Your New Best Buddy?

3. Google Places and Reviews will continue to grow in importance. Google Places will continue to find their way into SERPs and savvy webmasters and SEOs will go beyond optimizing their Google Places for client sites. Programs to encourage Reviews from customers should be created. Offer freebies for reviews; the search-smartest of webmasters will have their site marked up with rdfa “rich snippets” to make sure Google displays reviews in the SERPs where applicable.

Help with Rich Snippets for Google: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...-snippets.html.

4. Duplicate Content - this year’s Mayday algorithm update and the roll out of Caffeine – an update to Google’s infrastructure to make it more flexible – set the stage for more frequent updates to the algorithm. Google will continue to take aim on less valuable content. Expect more intense duplicate content filtering, and expect “self service” links to decrease in value. Focus on unique content of true value.

5. Content & Link Bait to Continue to Reign. Google will continue to get smarter and discern between legitimate link popularity and the sort that is faked by link wheels, 3 way linking and article spinning, to name a few. The ability to create and publish content (King) that attracts links (Queen) will grow in importance. Unsolicited links to fresh, unique content will continue to be the Royal Flush.

Help with Link Bait: Let’s Go Fishing! Whatcha Got For Link Bait?

If I missed a trend that you think should have been included, I invite you to add it below.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

You've got some pretty good points there
I've already been using Twitter & FB from the first day my site launched. For some reason though, Twitter never brings me any loyal visitors, the only thing they do is increase my bounce rate. Unlike FB, which many times brings me visitors which easily spend more than 20 minutes on my website.

About the link popularity thing, Google is already becoming very smart about it. I personally think now that forum signatures are of no SEO value anymore. And the same will apply soon to blog commenting.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:54 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsched View Post
You've got some pretty good points there
I've already been using Twitter & FB from the first day my site launched. For some reason though, Twitter never brings me any loyal visitors, the only thing they do is increase my bounce rate. Unlike FB, which many times brings me visitors which easily spend more than 20 minutes on my website.

About the link popularity thing, Google is already becoming very smart about it. I personally think now that forum signatures are of no SEO value anymore. And the same will apply soon to blog commenting.
Thanks so much for contributing.

I have a few forum signatures, as you may have noticed -- and I also have them from elsewhere. If they counted ALL my signature links, then I would clearly rule.

On the other hand, when I replaced a link a few months ago, the SERPs drop significantly for the old link and rose nicely for the new one. I dropped from #8 on Page 1 to Page 3 for a competitive term. So, my experience suggests otherwise.

I do believe that Google is doing everything it can to discount "self service" links and I have heard more than one prediction that suggests article directory links will lose value this year.

I am not an engineer, but it would appear that it's fairly complicated to algorithmically rule out blog comment links ... if it were easy, the nofollow attribute would never have come into being.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Glad you've had better luck with forum signatures
What made me guess that they are useless is that I was quite active here and on 5 other forums, all having the same signatures promoting the same page with the same anchor text
However, with over 300 posts made collectively on all forums, my SERPs didn't increase even 1 position, site remained within page 9 :S

Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 AM
v7n Mentor

It's all relative. I am talking 8,000 posts ... not that all those posts are indexed, but it is a lot more than 300. And I have been posting for years. Age makes a difference in links, just as it does in domains. A small difference, but every little difference counts.

However, what may make the difference for me is the relevance of the forums. My links are related to SEO. If you were getting links from a forum about learning languages or related to Germany, perhaps that would have more impact.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Yes all these are great points.

Don't forget Youtube too. I think a youtube presence will become more and more important.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

how youtube could contribute?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1seo View Post
Yes all these are great points.

Don't forget Youtube too. I think a youtube presence will become more and more important.
Could you tell us why you think so?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

i think youtube is not a factor.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabaps View Post
i think youtube is not a factor.
Could you explain why you say youtube is not a factor? Backup your response with some details please.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

i didn't see youtube as part in past years...or maybe they will in the future.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

YouTube is something to watch in 2011 for sure. I think they will build up the Friends function to include status updates at some point. They could make it a lot more user-friendly and interactive in that regard.

The amount of friend requests and subscriptions we've been seeing in the past 2-3 months is crazy. YouTube is huge. As we all recently heard, it's the second largest search engine right meow & takes 28% of Google's searches.
Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO.com Predicts Top 9 SEO Strategies for 2011

To add onto MJ's very good thread she creator, SEO.com did a little blog post also. Check it out.

SEO.com Predicts Top 9 SEO Strategies for 2011

Quote:
The start of 2011 didn’t ring in shiny new strategies that will shock the online marketing world. However, specific tactics that emerged in 2010 will have a larger affect on the success of 2011 marketing campaigns.

“A lot of what worked in 2010 will carry over,” said Nelson James, president of SEO.com. “But we are noticing a few trends that will build better links and produce more qualified leads.”

SEO.com, an SEO firm, identifies the top nine strategies in 2011 (in no particular order):
Continued at: http://www.seo.com/blog/top-seo-strategies-for-2011/

Anyone have any comments on the 9 mentioned strategies? Feel free to go into more detail for any or all of them.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum