Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 PM
v7n Mentor

Should I worry about my website's speed?

Hi,

I had my website on a host in England with gzip compression enabled. At that time my website's time (on googles webmastertools) was around from 1 sec to 3.5 sec. That was fair good. Alexa showed around 80% website speed. The rendering at that time was slow as I also had to uncompress my page to the visitors computer.

Well I changed host, I found a more reliable one to my country (gr). Now the rendering time on my country is superb and without gzip. My google webmastertools speed is around 1.5 sec to 3.5. But this week with no obvious reason the speed rendering on google's WMT raised to 7.5sec! My page still renders fine and fast! I can't understand why? I believe and hope it's only something that has to with google server updates.... My alexa speed at this time show an excellent 98% faster from all the other sites on the web.

My questions are two ...

1) Should I worry about the speed time that google webmastertools show or just for how fast it renders on my country?

2) Will the raised speed, make a drop on my SERPs?

Thank you for your time,
Jimtsap

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Wait until Google updates the speed again. Maybe there has been an issue with your host and it will go up again. Otherwise you should find another hosting provider, because hosting is really important.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

You know, this is one thing I never fully understood. I can check my site out using all the online and offline speed test tools available (dozens), and they always show my site loading in less than 5 seconds. I know this is slow, but I"m using a pretty complex script.

However, in Webmaster Tools Google always seems to find my pages to take around 8-9 seconds. I don't get this. Is every single speed test tool out there inaccurate, and only Google is correct? What's going on?

How important is this to Google? Nobody can say for sure, but it is definitely getting more and more important.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

loading of pages matter a lot. Google is for instant information. That's why Google prefers sites with good page loading speed. If speed is slow the downloading of the web page in users window will be slow and may user cancel the page soon due to undesired wait time. It affects CTR and counted in Bouncing rate of particular website.

Ultimately it may drop your SERP.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

Well Google shows data of 7-15 days ago, Your server could have been down at that time when Google was accessing your website.
If you checked with other tools and your website speed is good then keep patience all will get right in few days and Google webmaster tools will show the correct data.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Administrator

As other have said, it could have been an issue when Google visited. Have you installed Page Speed in your Firefox browser to see what it says?

Quote:
If you have a Webmaster Tools account with Google, down at the bottom of the left menu (Labs > Site Performance) is the Site Performance link. It will show you an approximation of the download speed your site has and also notes which pages it found slow with suggested solutions. For a more detailed analysis, even Google suggests you use their Page Speed for Firefox.
Test Web Page Download Speed

Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Contributing Member

Just wait and see later.

It will not directly get you a drop in SERP.
Google does use the speed of your site in the equation but it doesn't counts heavy.
When they implemented it a while ago, according to Google it changed less than 1% of the serp.
So don't worry about that too much.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:45 AM
v7n Mentor

Hi, and thanks for your responce.

Well pagespeed shows 88%. Yslow show an overal B grade and alexa shows 98% faster than other websites. I hope it is just bad timing. Maybe at the time of the update my server was just fed up!
HTMLBasicTutor thanks for sharing this link.
Martha1 thanks for the tip on 1%.
I will try to wait and not to worry much for the time...

Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 AM

low speed would make u lose the visitors

howdy!
new here ,and on the seo,too.
it'd be easy for yr question,low speed would make u lose the visitors.
quick find,and easy know of what the one need would be impotant on the SEO field.
the beginning of all those seo would be yr things listed on yr website,quality,I mean.
good luck and thks
nounny

Old 01-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Website speed is a serious issue. Don't take it very easy. It has effect on SERP and also have effects on traffic. If your site is taking more time than usual you better take care of this issue. This issue will generally increase your website bounce rate.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

I have read that speed for your website is one of the main factors but if your websites speed has got better then wait for the bot to revisit your site.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
v7n Mentor

Hi, everybody. Thank you for your concern.

I want to close the thread. Now my speed is fine. I find out that it wasn't anybody fault. My host was excelent and nothing appears to be reason for my slow time that google says. I have done any single speed test that exists. No problem at all. I am sure now, that it was Google fault . I have taken a screenshot to see what I am talking about.

If you experienced something like that, please post it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speed.png
Views:	284
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	13640  

Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtsap View Post
I want to close the thread.
If you experienced something like that, please post it.
What would you like to do?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 PM
v7n Mentor

You are right. I confused you.
(maybe it's time to get some sleep - the sun will rise soon)

Leave it open, in case someone have seen such a double time raise.

The "close the thread" was about close my problem... No problem now, just still curious. My speed is back again.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Banned

Yes, speed is also one factor in SEO and if the speed is very slow then you should minimize the use of flashy things like image, videos etc.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Website speed is important, and I think that role will continue to increase, it is a user experience which is now an important issue.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Might have just been a hiccup with your ISP also, it happens to me sometimes on sites that should load instantly will take a few seconds longer. Mostly happens during peak usage times on my ISP network.

Internet has been having a lot of issues lately with routing and the such, so that could have been a possibility too.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
Might have just been a hiccup with your ISP also, it happens to me sometimes on sites that should load instantly will take a few seconds longer. Mostly happens during peak usage times on my ISP network.

Internet has been having a lot of issues lately with routing and the such, so that could have been a possibility too.
Thanx dWhite. That might be a possibility. My host has his servers inside the biggest isp in greece. I know I get worried to much sometime, but I want to know something more about each glitch or problem that appear...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum