Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-02-2006, 03:17 AM
v7n Mentor

What gets me is the whole uproar over the required link. If someone puts up money for a contest, what exactly is wrong with having a "sponsored by" link, banner, button whatever. It's people with seo tunnel vision who make a bigger deal out of it than it is.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 03:29 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitetutor
What gets me is the whole uproar over the required link. If someone puts up money for a contest, what exactly is wrong with having a "sponsored by" link, banner, button whatever. It's people with seo tunnel vision who make a bigger deal out of it than it is.
Yeah, it makes the fact that there is some history, and bad blood, between Greg and John rather obvious, now doesn't it. You don't have to be a "guru" to figure that out, either.

Greg thought he saw an opening, so he took his shot - and it was a cheap shot. But, even a casual study of Greg's history will show him for what he is. He's published his own dishonesty for the world to see. Someone who would make the outrageously false claims he's made and then brag about them isn't above a cheap shot.

Anyone with any sense at all can see the truth of the situation. It's not hidden.

-Michael

Old 01-02-2006, 03:33 AM
v7n Mentor

What bothers me is Greg Hoser trying to tell people who not to link to though How the heck do you in all seriousness try to censor what someone puts on his own site?

Old 01-02-2006, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The terms "bandwagon" and "jump" spring to mind.

Greg saw a chance for some publicity and he took it. - Most people would have done the same thing, maybe in a different way but each to their own eh.

When you read all the comments in this thread, you can see that John doesn't actually hate the guy. On the contrary, he is actually quite excited at the amount of publicity Greg has attracted which can only be a good thing.

What more could anyone want than someone who can bring you as much publicity as that + Up the prize money in the process.

This is great for people entering the competition and the best thing Greg can do is to keep this up. In my eyes, that man is a star

Just hope he can do the same for me one day with my clothing site

Old 01-02-2006, 05:37 AM
Individualist

Quote:
I like what Brad said elsewhere,

Quote:
What's the Deal?

Has Google infected us with their phoney corporate moralizing? Why have we become all moralistic over V7N coming up with a scheme to gain links and/or PR and/or traffic? So long as the check doesn't bounce more power to them.

And sure, if WG and oilman can Threadjack™ some of that PR (the other kind) mojo fine for them too. Personally I'd like to see hundreds of these contests all happening at the same time just to see what it does to the SE's. hehheh.
I'm nothing but entertained with Boser and the others who are tailgating. If somebody seriously got their panties in a wad over this, I'd be dumbfounded.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Individualist

Although most of the comments I see on various blogs and forums regarding the whole Greg Boser thing indicate a certain disgust at his publicity hijacking attempts, I did notice a few people who appear to offer him support. One such post by GreyWolf of ThreadWatch referenced the ThreadWatch post about the V7N SEO Contest, and said, `do we have so many people who are new to the game that they don’t know any of the SEO elder statesmen? `

I sent an email to the guy but did not receive a response.

Quote:
In this post (URL Deleted) you reference the v7n SEO contest while asking "Do we really have so many new players in the game that don’t know or even care to learn a little history?"

Do you think that I do not know who Greg is? You think it's possible not to know who Greg is, after being a member of WMW for over three years?

I have a friendly question for you. Do you research? Do you do your homework? If you read the SEO contest related threads at v7n, you'd know that I do know who he is, and have known for a while.

Now the real question. If somebody is high profile, does that entitle them to shoot off their mouth making inherently incorrect accusations against somebody, with impunity? How many search engine conferences do I have to speak at before I get this immunity from crtiticism?

Does the immunity comes in degrees? Like, if I speak at one conference I can false accuse you of hidden text; after ten search engine conferences I can accuse you of child abuse; and after 50 search engine conferences I can accuse you of involvement in JFK's assassination?

I'm sorry if I do not follow the correct protocol for sucking up; frankly it's never been my thing.

Sincerely,

John Scott
It is funny to see that many people think you get to the top by sucking up. In fact, I have seen two articles lately suggesting just that. One such article says:
Quote:
1. Suck up to the right people.
I hate to tell you this, but that is not how it is done. I do not have any respect for suck ups, and doubt that a majority of those in this industry do.

In SEO, as in any other industry, it is a matter of lead, follow or get out of the way. Suck ups add no value to anything.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
I hate to tell you this, but that is not how it is done. I do not have any respect for suck ups, and doubt that a majority of those in this industry do.

In SEO, as in any other industry, it is a matter of lead, follow or get out of the way. Suck ups add no value to anything.
Couldn't have said it any better than that.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:28 PM
v7n Mentor

The bottomline is that you have to stand for and stand behind something in life. If you don't, you can hijack ideas, ride coattails and so on, but at the end of the day no one is going to remember you for anything worth mentioning.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Individualist

Quote:
The bottomline is that you have to stand for and stand behind something in life. If you don't, you can hijack ideas, ride coattails and so on, but at the end of the day no one is going to remember you for anything worth mentioning.

Well said. The people I respect in this industry are not the suck ups or those that ride the publicity of others, but the people who speak their own mind, think independantly, and often against the grain.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Individualist

Just found this on Greg's blog:

Quote:
Yes Jane, that’s what I’m proposing. The original contest is being run for the benefit of the person running the contest. My contest is being run for the benefit of someone else. Think of it as ironic SEO charity.
So hijacking publicity for your own gain is now "charity", and who is the "someone else"? His alter ego?

Old 01-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Latest Blog:
None

LOL

No, it's that poor Matt Cutts that needs PR so badly...

Matt just needs a good SEO, that's all.

-Michael

Old 01-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Individualist

I just find it beyond hilarious that he can try to spin it as charity. How dumb does he think his blog readers are?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
I just find it beyond hilarious that he can try to spin it as charity. How dumb does he think his blog readers are?
I'd tell you how dumb I think they are, but I've already pissed in enough people's cheerios lately.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:06 PM
v7n Mentor

Google can learn a lot from this contest

Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Correction:

Google will learn a lot from this. They are nothing, if not astute.

-Michael

Old 01-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Individualist

Quote:
Google can learn a lot from this contest

True. They should sponsor it.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:34 PM
v7n Mentor

And the dirtier the battle, the more they will learn

Old 01-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Latest Blog:
None

After my rage against Boser, I noted that in my blog. I wondered why google didn't post a big prize and let the gloves come off so they could study every aspect of it. Then it occurred to me that they could study this one and stay well away from any controversy.

Some real smart cookies at the big G. No doubt about it.

-Michael

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum