Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 11-30-2006, 02:22 AM
v7n Mentor

SE's already know your email addi from whois, if its not private. I could be wrong but I think your safe just using the meta description and meta keywords. It would seem redundant to use the " revist after " since we know pages get crawled more often based on how popular they are...

Last edited by Webfu; 11-30-2006 at 02:28 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 AM
v7n Goddess

Great i struck a chord :D

Now, first is first.

Why the
Quote:
<meta name="revisit-after" content="# Days">
and i'll answer cricket and sideways questions here.
First yes i know it's telling the bot to come after X days cricket, like they say, when the bot crawls your page, it loves new data, fresh new links, so forth, with a good ranking you don't want to loose that, some of my sites receive lots of traffic, hence I get a lot of new content to add, this is like giving the bots cannabis :D they love it. To control WHEN your page is crawled is simply a strategy some of us use. We've been using it for YEARS and it works for us just the way we want it.

One of my best friends uses my exact code on his site, feel free to go check it out :) ( urban75.com )

Now as for Sideways, to answer your question, that depends on the volume of your content and how often it's renewed. For some sites i use 2 days, some 5 some like urban75, 7 days is best for it!

It's all about fine tuning ;)

Webnauts made a few good points, but again, i'll say this with 3 years experience of having used such code formats, it all depends on your site and level of traffic and new content input.

so...
Quote:

And about the publisher, his/her mail, there are better solutions, than just hiding them from your visitors. Or do the SE care who the publisher or his/her email is?

And upon that, you are just adding redundant code to your pages, decreasing code to text ratio, and increasing their loading time.

Or have I missed something here?
Not all search engines are using the code to text ratio in their index algorithm, but most of them do. So having a higher code to text ratio is always good for on site optimization. Now webnauts, ur talking about, 4 lines of code, if i had quoted you a crazy page of code, ur point could hold water :P

Bulky code is not a problem for SE spiders... it's incorrect code that can cause problems (for spiders and browsers)...

costa blanca :) The reason is to simply offer bots a fluid page to index and rank higher, no one knows exactly what to get your site bot friendly 100% for best ranking, but i can assure you, using "all those meta tags' as you put it wont do you any harm, on the contrary :P it'll only add to ur bot-friendly page :D

webfu...glad u posted some of what you did :mrgreen:
Quote:
SE's already know your email addi from whois, if its not private. I could be wrong but I think your safe just using the meta description and meta keywords. It would seem redundant to use the " revisit after " since we know pages get crawled more often based on how popular they are...
Ok, well if it's private then it makes sense to add it in there no? And ever thought about an addy that isnt on whois? All depends on your needs ;)

Now about the 'how popular your site is' why i personally add that in is because i want to be able to control how often and when it's crawled...and i think it's just a better way to fine tune you pr rankings.

blah! If i knew a bit of advice was going to get this much feedback id have posted this later on during my coffee break :P

Old 11-30-2006, 06:22 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
First yes i know it's telling the bot to come after X days cricket,
Can you tell us which bots obey to that tag?

Quote:
Not all search engines are using the code to text ratio in their index algorithm, but most of them do. So having a higher code to text ratio is always good for on site optimization. Now webnauts, ur talking about, 4 lines of code, if i had quoted you a crazy page of code, ur point could hold water
I am not talking about SE algos here. I mean with that, the more text and less code you give the search engines the better, it makes it easier for them to parse out the essential information they need to figure out what your site is all about.

Anyway, it seems to be that you are a highly Professional SEO Expert with incredible knowledge and experience, so I don't think my feedbacks here can have any value.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:28 AM
v7n Goddess

Feedback is always of value, and i keep to myself when it comes to seo issues, because honestly, noone is a pro

Quote:
Can you tell us which bots obey to that tag?
Ha! If i knew exactly i'd have all not just some of my sites PR1
Google and yahoo for sure.

By the way...
Quote:
the more text and less code you give the search engines the better, it makes it easier for them to parse out the essential information they need to figure out what your site is all about.
Look, bots strip code away reeeaaallllly well and with no trouble at all, and i agree, more text less code is a defo!
But this is only relevant when talking about Excessive coding Remember, it's not just how much code, but more if there is incorrect code or not

Quote:
highly Professional SEO Expert with incredible knowledge and experience
LMAO daaaaaamn! Im all ---> now lol
But no, like i said before, no one is a pro, you just learn a lot over timeand by working with the right people and researching and so forth

Last edited by Tanya; 11-30-2006 at 06:31 AM. Reason: look, it's picachuuu, he's eating Crickets cake! NO!

Old 11-30-2006, 06:57 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Ha! If i knew exactly i'd have all not just some of my sites PR1
Google and yahoo for sure.
I consider this info as misleading until you back it up!

Old 11-30-2006, 07:04 AM
v7n Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webnauts View Post
I consider this info as misleading until you back it up!
Then simply don't take any of it into account, like I said I rarely pop in and tale seo, mainly because you get people with no idea of what they are doing commenting on techniques you put into effect and are more than happy with! Not to mention different webmasters have different points of views towards seo techniques, and each have mastered their own traits, so yeah, all the above, consider it theoretical talk, just me giving my opinion
Because i'm not about to hand over all i know on a silver platter to you, no offence.

Go find out for yourself, try it, do a little research, and hey, think of it this way, if in the end it doesn’t help and work out for you, it made you that bit more informative

Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Not to mention different webmasters have different points of views towards seo techniques, and each have mastered their own traits, so yeah, all the above, consider it theoretical talk, just me giving my opinion
I did not now that this was a theoretical discussion here. Then it is time for me to go, as I have no time for theoretical discussions.

Quote:
Because i'm not about to hand over all i know on a silver platter to you, no offence.
I never asked for that. If I need your help, I would definitely ask you for a quote. So lets leave cheap arguments out of the discussion. Sorry. No offense either.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:30 AM
v7n Goddess

Quote:
I did not now that this was a theoretical discussion here. Then it is time for me to go, as I have no time for theoretical discussions
it wasn’t, i said " consider it theoretical talk, just me giving my opinion ", hence YOU yourself should look into what i said if it's of importance to you

Quote:
If I need your help, I would definitely ask you for a quote. So lets leave cheap arguments out of the discussion. Sorry. No offense either.
I offered my help at first for free, like I always do on here, but saying that you consider the 'info' i gave as misleading until I backed it up, more or less directs me to believe that you want me to show you proof of this, hence how it's done right. Sorry, that was not what i intended to do in any of my prev posts. Giving people ideas to go by and pointing them down roads I've already gone down for a stroll was what i intended to do

And hey, i'm never offended by people calling my 'discussions' cheap and then saying sorry lol no worries

At least hope you came out of this with something useful

Old 11-30-2006, 07:37 AM
v7n Mentor

Tanya you can be sure that something useful came out for me.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:54 AM
v7n Goddess

From* you mean

I'm glad it helped anyway, that was the main reason to why i posted

Old 12-01-2006, 01:22 AM
v7n Mentor

Tanya to avoid any misunderstandings, I did not learn that I should use those meta tags though.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:25 AM
v7n Goddess

Well you learnt something, and if using those meta tags wasnt it, then oh well too bad for you

It's funny, cause like they say, a kid will keep sticking his hand into the cookie jar unless he breaks it or something ah, lol some people can never learn, they have too much pride and woosaaa to see clearly!

Old 12-01-2006, 01:27 AM
v7n Mentor

Tanya you are just lovely.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:37 AM
v7n Goddess

I know i am

Old 12-01-2006, 04:04 AM
v7n Mentor

Tanya here is where you can read if the <meta name="revisit-after"> is worth to use, also other ones too: http://code.google.com/webstats/2005-12/metadata.html

Search for example on the page for this sentence written in bold: More pages use the completely worthless <meta name="revisit-after"> than use the <em> element!

Old 12-01-2006, 04:11 AM
v7n Goddess

Quote:
To our knowledge only one search engine has ever supported it, and that search engine was never widely used — at this point, it is nothing more than a good luck charm. A remarkably widely used one.
lmffffao!!!!

Oh God, let me tell you one thing, if 'they' consider it as a good luck charm, then hey what can I say, me and all the other successful webmasters are very efin lucky indeed.

And you know what, can it really hurt to have a lucky charm I don't think so

Stop trying to prove your point to someone who has tested and successfully used theirs.

Anyway really, if your mind set on not trying it or you think it's omplete rubbish Forget it

Old 12-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Tanya, you know that this code is telling the bots NOT to visit you for X number of days, right?
Exactly why I don't use it.

And I'm not a fan of the
Quote:
<meta name="Publisher-Email" content="you@ursite.com">
either.

And Webnauts,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webnauts View Post
Few days ago we launched a tool providing very valuable information about meta tags and more.

Maybe will be worth to have a look: http://www.seoworkers.com/search-eng.../analyzer.html
How is that not spam? And you posted that in more than one thread here.

If you'd like to advertise, you're welcome to visit this page.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:36 AM
v7n Mentor

Sorry John. Please be so kind and delete all those posts. Using the tool is free and everywhere I was told that it is helpful. And that cost me brandwidth.

So need for worries. I will not disturb here again.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Using the tool is free and everywhere I was told that it is helpful.
It is free, and indeed helpful. It was created to generate linkage and traffic for the website it is on, and I'm sure it will serve that purpose beautifully.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:29 AM
v7n Mentor

John, as I mentioned previously, I would appreciate if you would delete the links to our tool I published in the forums here.

Then I guess the problem shall be settled.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum