Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-05-2011, 07:47 AM

SEO Question

Hello all. Im a noob trying to educate myself in SEO and although Im following the guides I have just a few specific questions that I need help on. Im sure somewhere on the forums the answer to my questions are there but I cannot find them. So please help me out if you can. Here are my questions:

1. Indexing: My home page is indexed by google. I have 4 other pages on the site. Will these pages get indexed as time goes by or must I do this myself like I did my home page (site)?

2. Tags/keywords: (a)Should my tags in my titles, meta and description be the same for each page or should each page carry a different phrase/keyword?

I cant find those questions answered directly, so any suggestions would be great... Thank you in advance...

Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

for the first question: No ,these pages will be indexed automatically by google and if they were not indexed just submit them to google by this link http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl/
and i advice you to create backlinks with high page rank sites this will increase the indexing rate
for the second question:you must create dynamic meta tags because they are better in seo for your site ,for more information visit this link Dynamic meta data
if you have any more questions i would be glad to answer them to you through my blog [removed]
hope this was useful

Best place for games:Legacy TCG

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Google "sees" pages not sites......
Treat each page as a free standing item..
I would concentrate on the "important" pages first.......
While it is true that the G will eventually index all (maybe) of your
pages there is nothing wrong with giving them a little push......

<Additional>
I can not see any advantage to tags that change.....If you find the ones that the engine like...
Why would you want to change them? It would be like changing high ranking keywords for the unknown.....

Last edited by Jim Gillum; 03-05-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added to post

Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Hi speedovr55......for your first question regarding indexing, I would say all those pages will automatically get indexed in google once your home page or sitemap has been indexed....no need to submit each page separately.....for your second question, I would say keep titles, keywords and description of all pages different.....treat each page as a standalone page.....

Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 AM
v7n Mentor

1. Indexing - as long as there are links to those pages, Google will find them automatically. Make sure the links to those pages on your website are in plain text and work on building links to those pages, not just links to your homepage.

2. Meta - yes, these should all be different for each page. The idea witb SEO is every page of your website is an entrance. If you do it well, people are likely to come directly to a page about exactly what they searched for - they may never see your homepage.

Don't bother with meta keywords, they're not used anymore. Meta title is important and should include your main keyword for that page. If yoy put your business/site name there, do it last. For example: "Cheap bird cages - Birdsrus.com". Meta description should be something to make visitors want to click your link - in Google it will show your meta title as the link, then meta description as the short paragraph beneath.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Awesome..... Thanks for all the info!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

You page will be index but that will take time,but if you want that Google will index you links fast then generate sitemap of you website and submit in google webmaster tool
The strategy i am using for my site i am using same description for all the pages.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

As far as meta keyword, you are correct that they are not used by the major search engines anymore, but there are still some of the smaller ones that do use them for their search results. I would recommend just putting them in there just in case you get submit to one of the other sites. It only takes a few moments and is not that difficult to throw in there.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedovr55 View Post
1. Indexing: My home page is indexed by google. I have 4 other pages on the site. Will these pages get indexed as time goes by or must I do this myself like I did my home page (site)?
If the pages are properly linked to each other, Google will follow those links and eventually index those pages... But you can also do the same thing on the other pages like what you did on the homepage. It doesn't harm your site anyway.

Quote:
2. Tags/keywords: (a)Should my tags in my titles, meta and description be the same for each page or should each page carry a different phrase/keyword
There should be unique titles, keywords and description on every pages...

Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

You must add a sitemap page to Google Webmaster tools and all of your pages will get indexed. And if we talk about keywords, you should use different keywords in Title, Meta tags for different pages of site. Use the keyword that comes in your page's content.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

I think this is a very difficult question. But i think every search engine treat the inner website pages as separate web page so they should have different tag info like title tage, description tag....

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hi,

You meta keywords or description would not be the same for every page. You need create mets tags and identify separates keywords for every page of your website and then optimize your web pages with unique keywords.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Administrator

If you have done proper internal linking from your home page then the rest of the pages on the site will be found.

Provide a site map - the HTML kind. This helps the search bots and humans find the other pages on the site. Link to the site map from each page as you have no control over which page the bots and people enter the site from. I know you said you have only 5 pages right now, but eventually you will have to add more pages over time so having a site map from the start is good. The Sitemaps protocol someone else mentioned does not guarantee your other pages will be indexed, it is also overkill at this stage of your site.

Each page title tag, meta keywords and meta description needs to be different for each page. Just because Google says it doesn't use certain things for their web search doesn't mean they don't use this info for other stuff or that other search bots do not use the infomation. There is no harm including the meta data tags but there could be something to loose if you don't.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:58 AM

I just wanted to update everyone on this post. I followed the advice about basically treating each page as its own website with its own key phrases and keywords. Im thinking this has been very beneficial and heres is why I say this.

Two of my pages have went from not being in the PR Top 10, to PR1's. Here is what I mean (again Im a noob so I may be viewing this totally wrong) but one of my pages sits at a Google PR1 with 2,460,000 results (the little writing under the google search bar)and when I say PR1, I mean the very first site.

Now is that good or am I reading this all wrong? Because here is the problem, although its there at this moment (as i just checked) I have still not one visit according to anyalitics. Is it just a matter of time? or am I way out in left field???

Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
2. Tags/keywords: (a)Should my tags in my titles, meta and description be the same for each page or should each page carry a different phrase/keyword?
Definitely give each page a different title, and each pages meta tags should be reflective of what the page is about. If your site is a wordpress blog there's several plugins that can help you with this.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Hello all. Im a noob trying to educate myself in SEO and although Im following the guides I have just a few specific questions that I need help on. Im sure somewhere on the forums the answer to my questions are there but I cannot find them. So please help me out if you can. Here are my questions:

I cant find those questions answered directly, so any suggestions would be great... Thank you in advance...
you can book mark to get indexed soon

Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Thanks for all the great posts. I guess I should have maybe started another thread when I asked the question in my last post but here it is:

Two of my pages have went from not being in the PR Top 10, to PR1's. Here is what I mean (again Im a noob so I may be viewing this totally wrong) but one of my pages sits at a Google PR1 with 2,460,000 results (the little writing under the google search bar)and when I say PR1, I mean the very first site.

Now is that good or am I reading this all wrong? Because here is the problem, although its there at this moment (as i just checked) I have still not one visit according to anyalitics. Is it just a matter of time? or am I way out in left field???

Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for all the great posts. I guess I should have maybe started another thread when I asked the question in my last post but here it is:

Keeping everything together is good! People can see what you did and the results you got.

When referring to your position in the search results it is not called PR. PR is something different. You just refer to it as position #1 or just #1 in the search results.

Getting to #1 for your keyword(s) is great!

For the visit stats, be patient. It might take some time. If after a few months or so if you still are not getting visits then maybe revisit what keyword(s) you focused on for the page(s). Maybe you were too close to the topic and selected what you would search for instead of what your target audience would search for.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfreak View Post
You must add a sitemap page to Google Webmaster tools and all of your pages will get indexed. And if we talk about keywords, you should use different keywords in Title, Meta tags for different pages of site. Use the keyword that comes in your page's content.
I do not know why sitemap is so important for every domain. I have a domain with 5 pages only. Do I need to create site map in the homepage?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM

@speedovr55....
When you check you site position with your browser......clear your cookies first...
Checking a site without doing so will give false readings..
Google will put the site near the top of the results, because it thinks that is your preference.....

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum