Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 01-21-2006, 07:43 AM
Individualist

The limitations of SEO

SEO is good for some things. It can drive a lot of traffic for some sites.

The problem I see is people focussing just on SEO and overlooking more effective ways of generating traffic.

Many SEO's also tend to forget the primary purpose of a website, too. That purpose being profitability via conversions. When SEO is taken to the point that it harms the marketing effectiveness of a website, then it's counterproductive.

Anyway - just finished this article today:

What SEO Isn't

I know I'm pissing on a lot of SEO marketing hype with it, but it's the damn truth.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Nice article john, it does express a lot of views that most people overlook nowadays.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:51 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO tunnel vision is horrible, and present all accross the forums. People get so drawn into the seo game, they can't see all of the business they're missing out on. There's nothing like seeing sites being so over-optimized that they get traffic - but won't convert. Also - all the experts using their long keyword domains which eliminate return visitors pretty much from the get-go. The list goes on. The article is great, it's time for everyone to look outside of the box and be a little more creative

Old 01-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Individualist

I've been saying this for years, but if you're going to do SEO, then do it with links, not by making the pages ugly with keywords repeated over and over again.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:03 AM
No Longer Active

Well, you are damn right. Only 14.9% of my visitors come from the search engines, another 16% from BL and that shows that branding and other than SEO brings more traffic than focussing on Google.

Brand recognition and "the real world" (the world outside that room where SEO's have their computer) is a lot more important than work that they are doing to rank a few steps better in the searches. I think that your article will make professional SEO's think about expanding their services to their clients and offer them a total package of online and offline (branding) promotion.

I will give you another example, last year a Dutch actuality tv show mentioned my totally useless and crappy digidopaganda site (it's a joke actually) because of a political video clip that I host there and that site got a pr5 (now 4) and tons of traffic because of that one moment on tv, before that it got 10 visitors/day.(It
suddenly used 150GB/month bandwitdh)

edit; I forget to say about that 14.9% traffic I get from the search engines, a search for the 'brand name' is in the top 5 of most searched keywords that visitors brought to my site. (source: awestats)

Last edited by Ferre; 01-21-2006 at 08:17 AM.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:15 AM

Well written, John.

It is all about running a site that people want to link to. The only seo I believe in, is IBL-strategies. The onpage seo should be very limited, so it does not destroy the content of the page.

Most search optimized pages I run across, suffer from it, and the readability of the article has gone down the drains.

When I write, I always keep in mind what search terms that is viable for the article, and I use them if it is natural. Otherwice I simply ignore them, and do a little IBL-campaign instead to get it ranked.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscott
If you are a web host, competing against 275,000,000 other pages for the search term Web Hosting, you're not going to get it without some very poor investment of financial resources.
Sorry John by this do you mean that you would need cash also to out rank and market the other sites?

Old 01-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicus
Well written, John.

It is all about running a site that people want to link to. The only seo I believe in, is IBL-strategies. The onpage seo should be very limited, so it does not destroy the content of the page.

Most search optimized pages I run across, suffer from it, and the readability of the article has gone down the drains.

When I write, I always keep in mind what search terms that is viable for the article, and I use them if it is natural. Otherwice I simply ignore them, and do a little IBL-campaign instead to get it ranked.
I agree 100%. If you can get the keywords in there naturally, fine, but if not just use IBL instead of ruining the page with keyword dense copy that doesn't sell.

And the other point I don't know if I made clear - SEO is not the only way to get traffic.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkad
Sorry John by this do you mean that you would need cash also to out rank and market the other sites?
Buying links, paying people to get links - it takes money.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
Buying links, paying people to get links - it takes money.

thought that was what you ment, well i would have to say i dont agree sorry but i have some websites and the only cash i have spent on them is for the domains and the hosting, i really would never buy a link and stuff the only thing i would pay for and it would have to be a really good website is a banner spot, i know people that buy links on like 100,000 websites and they get thyem really cheap but only for a year and to me if thats what they have to do to get links then there must be something wrong with there website.

If a website is good and is full of good info that intrestes people then the back links shoulr rise, i mean like this site John i have placed links on other sites showing them stuff and thats how i think it should be.

These last couple of months i have realised that it isnt back links that gets a website ranked high in SE's like google ok it does help but it isnt the main things.

Apart from that section on your aticle i loved it and i think it was well written and please dont get me wrong by me giving my worth

Old 01-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Individualist

Madkad, what I'm saying is marketing is more than just SEO.

If you want your website to be #1 on Google for "web hosting", it's not going to happen without a lot of sacrifices. But some SEO think it's imperative to be #1 for "web hosting" if you're a web host.

That's where they are wrong. You can sell more hosting based on a strong brand awareness than you can based on ranking #1 for "web hosting".

Old 01-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

arr i see John lol just me getting it wrong and confused i know what you meen

if i was a hosting company i waoul try and rank for "cheap web hosting" or "cheap web hosts" but lol different subject sorry lol

Old 01-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkad
arr i see John lol just me getting it wrong and confused i know what you meen

if i was a hosting company i waoul try and rank for "cheap web hosting" or "cheap web hosts" but lol different subject sorry lol
This is my point. If I were a web host I wouldn't focus on "cheap web hosting" or "bald people web hosting" or any search term. I'd focus on marketing.
I'd focus on building a strong brand, and probably market it with an affiliate program.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:03 AM

It's a decent article, and one that echoes points you raised since I've known you about marketing blindness in SEO.

It's actually one of the attitudes that made me start reading marketing books - I felt ridiculous not being aware of the wider issues in marketing as a discipline.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Individualist

Glad you liked it Brian.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:17 AM

Yep, and the quote is quite right. How I didn't realise the viral potential despite having seen days of discussion on the contest ...

Old 01-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Individualist

I'll add a credit to the quote if you like.

Old 01-21-2006, 11:04 AM

Not necessary - you'll simply draw attention to the fact that I was too distracted by the content of the discussion, to notice what the discussion was actually doing.

Old 01-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Individualist

As you wish, Sir Brian.

Old 01-21-2006, 11:35 AM
v7n Mentor

I love the article! Good job! Excellent points. SEO is a type of online marketing, but not the be all end all of internet marketing.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum