Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Blekko Respects Your /privacy, Will Trash Search Data After 48 Hours

This is interesting. Please take a look at this blog post before commenting. I like where Blekko is heading in the search engine game.

Quote:
While Yahoo recently announced plans to join Google and Bing in retaining search logs for 18 months, Blekko has gone in the opposite direction, announcing that searches conducted on Blekko and other personal information such as IP addresses will be deleted within 48 hours – even for logged-in users.

Privacy is a big debate these days in search and social, but Blekko makes its philosophy clear: search engines know too much about their users, and it's possible to improve a search engine without storing private information. Additionally, Blekko’s new privacy includes:
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...After-48-Hours

Please share your thoughts on this big of news. If you disagree with what they are doing then explain why.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
This is interesting. Please take a look at this blog post before commenting. I like where Blekko is heading in the search engine game.

Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...After-48-Hours

Please share your thoughts on this big of news. If you disagree with what they are doing then explain why.

"While Yahoo recently announced plans to join Google and Bing in retaining search logs for 18 months"

... in a detailed documentary with Google, Google indicated that they store search data indefinitely( forever ). after approximately 18 months Google sends search data to deep storage in which they say the data becomes indistinguishable from other search data.

However, they also indicated the ability to retrieve deep storage data. it is important not to take things at face value. What do Google representative said was that even without specific markers such as IP addresses or Mac addresses, that it is still possible to reassemble the identity of the end-user from the deep storage data. So the bottom line is Google will always be able to identify the end-user when necessary. I do not think this is a bad policy considering the times we live in.

Blekko has gone in the opposite direction, announcing that searches conducted on Blekko and other personal information such as IP addresses will be deleted within 48 hours – even for logged-in users.

I think insignificant would be an understatement for this. Anyone paranoid enough to worry about who is watching their search habits is probably up to no good. If you are not doing anything wrong... What is the problem? the majority of people do not even think about it because they do not care. The government is not interested that you are having an affair. The government is not interested what types of alternative lifestyles you might be living( with the exception of terrorism).

Privacy is a big debate these days in search and social, but Blekko makes its philosophy clear: search engines know too much about their users, and it's possible to improve a search engine without storing private information.

I think privacy is only a big deal these days for the paranoid. And this is a gross overstatement to boost publicity for Blekko.

Some people are always marching around with - Privacy Concerns. they assemble on sidewalks, and hold up signs acting like they have been violated in some way. Exactly how private do you expect things to be given the current times? Actually, the government is far more disclosing about private information than any search engine.

if you are seriously concerned about privacy read this

About two years ago I found a site called

http://www.peoplefinders.com/

by using this site I was able to track down a childhood friend. I could see every place she had lived for like the last seven years. I could see her phone numbers, even her cell phone number is a matter of public information. I could see her mortgages, how much she owed on them, her car payments, where she rented apartments, marriages, car crashes, bills she paid with the address on them ,auto insurance all the way down to her current physical address.

I greeted her with a hug. But I could have just as easily met her with a handgun ( that is the scary part ).

I later discovered that all this information is a matter of public record that has been fed into a state wide public information database that the state is selling access to. A little bit of politics, and a whole lot of capitalism.

So when people worry about being tracked on search engines: they quite literally have no idea how much information is out there as a matter of public record.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:33 PM
v7n Mentor

Interesting.

I use scroogle on my website.

Rabble Park

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum