Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

What are MSN Search most important algorithms at the moment?

I noticed that my 'smiley' sites dropped rankings last few months within MSN Search. Many of them even totally vanished which had very dominating rankings in the past. Most of my sites were ranked top-5 or 1st page! At the moment I have only few sites ranked well. All of my sites have basicly same content, layout, etc. but each one targeting specific keyword. Each site was therefore also ranked high for that particular keyword!

Regarding my knowledge the following algorithms were always important for MSN:

- MSN likes keywords in domain;
- Number of backlinks plays a role for a certain amount;
- MSN is grazy about keywords in 'title' of site, but also likes keywords in 'headers'!
- Also number of times same keyword has been used within content plays a role.

At the moment I am working on all my sites again in order to get my high rankings back, therefore wondering what regarding you opinion MSN Search most important algorithms are at this time!!

Preferrable, ONLY reply to my thread when you are more or the less an expert on MSN Search SEO. Your experience with Google and/or Yahoo SEO will not help me directly (although MSN copies concepts of Google/Yahoo).

I need to figure out how MSN Search ranks sites right now & where MSN crawlers look at in particular!

Many thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Individualist

Anchor text and page titles.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
Anchor text and page titles.
Thanks John!

1. By 'anchor text' you mean/suggest to use keywords I am targeting inside my text links?

2. A.) Something else: Is it good for SEO reasons to use affiliate URLs or better to redirect them?

For example - http://www.smileys.com/smileys.php is a redirection to my affiliate smiley offer.

I heard it's better to do a redirection, then showing your affiliate links like http://www.cj.com/...

B.) If I should use let see http://www.smileys.com/smileys.php crawlers will pick up this link (or maybe don't pick it up, because of the redirection)? And even positive value url because it has twice 'smileys' keyword inside?

Old 04-07-2006, 12:32 AM
v7n Mentor

MSN is some what old fashioned... feed them title full of your keyword, h1, h2 and high keyword density on your page...

You go there #1 for a few weeks... then you see you are no where... well that what happens with MSN.... so look for yahoo! and the BIG G!

Manish

Old 04-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manish Pandey
MSN is some what old fashioned... feed them title full of your keyword, h1, h2 and high keyword density on your page...

You go there #1 for a few weeks... then you see you are no where... well that what happens with MSN.... so look for yahoo! and the BIG G!

Manish
Thanks Manish!

1. What should be my keyword percentage % in order to do well? Someone told me 2% of <body>!
2. You mentioned: "You go there #1 for a few weeks... then you see you are no where... well that what happens with MSN.... so look for yahoo! and the BIG G!"

Well, that's exactly what happend to all my sites & most of the suggestions here I did already with success before my sites dropped...

If you able to get nr. #1 in MSN & next your site drops to NOWHERE, then you should ALSO be able to get back to 1st page MSN, correct?

What changes do I have to make in order to realize 1st page MSN again?

Old 04-07-2006, 02:50 AM

I won a contest for ranking in MSN in february. What I learned from it was: Inbound links beats the crap out of any on-page seo you could do. Go ahead and register yourself on one of the recip-networks, and get tons of inbound links. I also learned that it does not matter AT ALL if your inbound liks are sidewide or recips. MSN accepts any link.

I am currently doing a test for another site simply using sitewide links from a lot of domains on the same ip-number. I will be able to tell if MSN discovers this shortly.

In my opinion MSN is the easiest engine to manipulate.

Edit:
I forgot to mention the most important thing: Make some changes to the homepage every 3 - 4 days. MSN loves fresh content.
The change does not have to be very original. I use a script that just counts and shows what key phrases that has been used to get to the page.

Last edited by Bjorn Solstad; 04-07-2006 at 03:18 AM.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Based on my last years observations. MSN is similar to Google except even though it records back links, I believe it does not record very deep back links like Yahoo/Google when coming up with results. But it does seem to record more blogs and give them more weight (not sure if this still the case).

Its not easy for an "expert" to evaluate.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Solstad
I won a contest for ranking in MSN in february. What I learned from it was: Inbound links beats the crap out of any on-page seo you could do. Go ahead and register yourself on one of the recip-networks, and get tons of inbound links. I also learned that it does not matter AT ALL if your inbound liks are sidewide or recips. MSN accepts any link.

I am currently doing a test for another site simply using sitewide links from a lot of domains on the same ip-number. I will be able to tell if MSN discovers this shortly.

In my opinion MSN is the easiest engine to manipulate.

Edit:
I forgot to mention the most important thing: Make some changes to the homepage every 3 - 4 days. MSN loves fresh content.
The change does not have to be very original. I use a script that just counts and shows what key phrases that has been used to get to the page.
But I am afraid that when I am going to refresh content for my sites which are still ranked high as you mentioned, that this will drop my sites in rankings?
What is your experience regarding changing content (fresh) & still keeping your rankings in MSN?
Thanks a lot!

Old 04-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan007
Based on my last years observations. MSN is similar to Google except even though it records back links, I believe it does not record very deep back links like Yahoo/Google when coming up with results. But it does seem to record more blogs and give them more weight (not sure if this still the case).

Its not easy for an "expert" to evaluate.
How do I get back links from blogs?
By linking back to my sites through blog posts for example?
Thanks!

Old 04-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone else other suggestions what I can do/add/change in order to get back my 1st page rankings for my sites within MSN?

Thanks so much...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum