Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Adequate Page Title Strategy in SEO

Hi,

We have some dilemmas now with Google Panda and other issues regarding picking the best page title for several sites...

We've been experimenting a while.

1)

How advised is it to use the same combination of words e.g. "hotel reservation" in you page title on multiple pages?

We intend to use such combinations on page titles:
"New York Hotel Reservations"
"Chicago Hotel Reservations"
"Rio de Janeiro Hotel Reservations"
"Buenos Aires Hotel Reservations"

Overall, we don't overuse keywords, but this would be logical to write so.
Would this be spammy according to recent SEO trends?

2)

Enumerations, symbols like "," ";" ":" and "-"
What importance do they have in page titles?

I know that in content, enumeration is not good.

Example: "Cars, planes, trains, motorbikes, bicycles"

Matt Cutts said once that "_" is better to use with file name extensions than "-"

But how are symbols behaving in page titles?

3)

What is better?

"Health insurance advice" or "Health Insurance Advice". Capitalizing first letters in title is the idea.

4)

Titles should be <64 or 64 characters... they say. But: longer is better, shorter is better?

5)

Google had an issue with special symbols (e.g. Wingdings symbols), triangles in the page title. Should we avoid them?

How about using "*" star at the beginning of each page title?

I'd like to know what you thing on these specific points. We're struggling to create a great page title for a client and then the rest...

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

I am not sure about all of the different symbols that you are talking about. I know that I try to include my keyword in every title, and that I make sure that each title that is written is one that will entice someone to click on the link when they see it in the search engine. I have never used any of the special characters and not had any problems with my sites ranking or not.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Some answers to your title tag questions:

Quote:
...You want your whole title to show when someone bookmarks your page in their browser Favorites, visits your site, bookmarks your page on social bookmarking sites and when the search engines show your page in the search results, donít you? Well there is a limit to the number of characters your title tag can be to accommodate all these different senarios.

The W3C (World Wide Consortium) which develops the standards for the web recommends you keep your title tag contents to 64 characters so the title will be displayed in browser Favorites and the top browser bar.

The general consensus for your title to display properly (without it be truncated) in Google is 66-70 characters. You can see in the image below our Most Common Screen Resolution artile title doesnít quite fit with Googleís layout to accommodate their page preview over on the right....

...Use some keywords the person searching for the information on your page would put in the search engine box. Notice I said some. 2 or 3 keyword phrases would be fine. A title tag full of a bunch of keywords just looks spammy and doesnít really convey to the person looking through the search results what the page is about....
Title Tags and Search Engine Optimization

Quote:
Donít use any of the following special characters in title text: '"<>{}[]()
Heads up on <head> tag optimization (SEM 101) - Bing

Quote:
It is also a good idea to avoid special characters in the title tag, such as a double quote, because that also acts as a delimiter for the title tag attributes in the HTML code. That can cause a spider to ignore everything past the quote when it parses the code. If you need to use a special character that means something special in HTML code, try using the corresponding HTML entity code. I have not seen any detrimental effects from this ( ď = " ).
Building Keyword Themes

Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelev View Post
Google had an issue with special symbols (e.g. Wingdings symbols), triangles in the page title. Should we avoid them?
:
Yes, you should avoid them. Have the most relevant phrase in your title like you have those in quotes and the location plus the official name of company, will make a perfect title.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Contributing Member

Why just don't try to leverage strategy about titles as much as possible and analyze the results after a month. This is the best way to know what is working and what is not.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Banned

I have not heard about the symbol if used in the title matters or not as i have never done this. And as for the capital and small letters , i have found no any difference in the results. But i used to use the keyword in the title and be sure for the title that it familiar to people and be sure that by reading the title people attract to read your stuff and attract to visit the site.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartdesign View Post
Why just don't try to leverage strategy about titles as much as possible and analyze the results after a month. This is the best way to know what is working and what is not.
I won't risk that, sorry... and what to analyze? How?
I don't know of any way to determine whether SERPS, visitor numbers increased or decreased because of page title.

It will have an effect, but I won't know if it was because of it or not.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

What if...

For instance, I want to make a homes/properties site that would inevitably/normally contain title like:

Miami (Florida) properties for sale
Ft. Lauderdale (Florida) properties for sale
Orlando (Florida) properties for sale

then... this "()" thing would bother search engines?

From what I understand from HTMLBasicTutor's post, it would bother crawling.
We have many paranthesises on many sites, in a similar way...

We could alternatively use "-" or something else...

We need to separate Orlando from Florida and Miami from Florida, while both the cities and the state are important.

You can view both Florida all together in one category on our site or, you can access the single city pages, one by one. For SEO reasons, they all must have "some connection" to Florida.

Another thing is with New York...
We have a title that says: New York City (New York) properties, others are like Buffalo (New York) properties...

...would sound and look so weird and might confuse if it were:
New York City, New York properties
Buffalo, New York properties
Albany, New York properties

>>> if it were like this, SEO would rather take them all as "New York properties" - would certainly rank higher for that...

So, we have this "()" dilemma. Similar way with the "-" symbol.

Opinions, suggestions?

Thank you so much to all of you!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 AM

I am interested in what you are talking about. I am trying to include my keyword in every title

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum