Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
v7n Mentor

Wordpress vs. Blogger?

I've used Blogger for a while, so I'm a bit familiar with it. And I have one personal blog on Wordpress, but I haven't done much with it.

I can probably make either of them work. Do you have particular favorites of one or the other from an SEO standpoint? I've not had much experience comparing them as far as SEO at all.

A little more info:

I'm going to add the new site to the same hosting setup as the Blogger ones, so it would be nice to have one Dashboard for everything and be able to see it all at once. I may share some images, etc. between my old blogs and this new site. If everything is equal, I'll go with blogger.

If it matters, my intention is to develop an overall topic and the main page will be a blog that shows all posts, and there will be buttons on top to direct to "sub blogs" where I will add new posts in appropriate places, as well as informational pages related to the various topics. Probably I will arrange the info pages in a 3-4 link deep structure from the main page in order to arrange it all well.

Say my top level was going to be gardening .... I would have sub-pages about food plants and ornamentals, the food plants would have sub pages there for veggies, berries and trees .... with trees then given sub pages for nut trees vs. fruit trees). They won't really be as closely related as that, but just for an example.

I'm anxious to get started, since I am moving some information over, and I have people waiting on posts. Just wanted to get started on the best foot, since I don't think I'll want to change later.

Thanks SO MUCH for any insight.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

Blogger blogs are unprofessional. Same with wordpress.com blogs, though it's easier to find some quality content there. You cannot advertise on WP.com, so most spammers go to open blogspot blogs.

If you're serious with your blog, get a domain name and a hosting and install wordpress. It costs you as low as 15 bucks/year (.info domain and a very cheap hosting plan). I don't see ANY reason why anyone who's interested in getting a decent blog would waste time with blogspot or wordpress.com

Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

If you are serious about blogging, the best option is to get your own domain name and hosting account. A domain will cost around USD 10 and hosting about USD10 per month.

To "test the water" it as alright to blog on blogspot or wordpress.com but on a long term is much better not to be under their controls.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

I have blogs using both. I prefer WP for three reasons:

1) The ability customize the look and feel by using different themes and plugins.

2) A greater range of functionality both built into WP and enhanced by plugins.

3) The SEO tools available for WP blogs (right now I'm a big fan of the Yoast toolsets).

Have fun. I did. lol

Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Ink View Post
I've used Blogger for a while, so I'm a bit familiar with it. And I have one personal blog on Wordpress, but I haven't done much with it.

I can probably make either of them work. Do you have particular favorites of one or the other from an SEO standpoint? I've not had much experience comparing them as far as SEO at all.
I had the same consideration when creating my website and blog and coincidentally I was considering either blogger for my blog or wordpress. I decided to go with wordpress as it was really simple to install and had a seemingly unlimited amount of customization options for both themes and plugins.

From an SEO standpoint, wordpress has some excellent SEO specific plugins to make SEO a breeze. One of my personal favourites is the Wordpress SEO plugin from Yoast.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 AM

Blogger and Wordpress both use widgets or plugins. Plugins can add a lot of functionality to your site anything from SEO, social buttons, latest posts and much, much more.
but Blogger some lack of SEO value. wordpress is better in this case. so i suggest to use wordpress blog.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Banned

Blogger is own by Google. Do you think they give more importance on Blogger in terms of search engine visibility compared to other blogging platforms? I want to hear your answers about this.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

I have blogs where I regularly post on blogspot, tumblr, and self hosted wordpress.

I really don't see much difference between blogspot and wordpress, as far as when google picks up the new posts, or how much traffic individual posts get.

What differences I see has mainly to do with how each platform encourages a slightly different blogging style, and by going from one platform to another, I can mix things up. Post a wordpress style post at blogger, and vice-versa.

Also, I can copy code from one to another, and mix up the templates, which helps my blogs stand out a bit.

Where I'm held back is the fact that I don't have unlimited things to post about, and one blog often suffers while another gets posted on... If I was posting everything on a single blog, I'd probably do better at developing a following.

As far as your linking strategy goes... Sounds fine.

I've seen extra navigation added to both blogspot and to wordpress.

The thing that stands out the most to me about the two different platforms is that I can get my hands on the blogspot code, but wordpress dot com filters stuff out. If the choice is blogspot vs. wordpress.com, I would go with blogspot.
If you're willing to purchase a domain name and install a self-hosted wordpress, I think that would be even better.

Good luck, be sure to let us know which way you decide to go with this project!

Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM
v7n Mentor

Thanks very much for the input.

I guess I should have been more clear.

My "regular" blogs are on my own domain, and I publish using blogger.

I had set up an "experimental" blog for free at wordpress, since I wasn't sure which direction I really wanted to take with it.

Now, I see that the experimental blog has potential to be what I had hoped, and I actually want to put 90% of my focus there, as I can integrate several of my regular blogging topics. Being able to concentrate my efforts instead of spreading them over so many blogs should make a much better blog, with less work on my part.

I actually got indexed quite quickly though my free wordpress and can see results in the SERPs.

However, with a free Wordpress (so far as I've been able to determine) some of the SEO things I want to do are impossible. At least I could never figure out how to do them, and when I went to their community for help I was told it couldn't be done because it was set up to run across all the blogs.

If it went anywhere, I didn't expect to keep to the free one anyway. As you said, a domain name is cheap. I went with a .com instead of a .info, so it's running me $8 a year or so. And I already have hosting set up, so self-hosting isn't a problem at all.

Being the impatient sort that I am, I stayed up half the night playing with it anyway, and am currently using a blogger template since I am more familiar with them. However, I didn't really give wordpress a fair trial, since I have only done it on their free site and I was so limited in what I could add.

But I only have 3 test posts, so I am far from committed.

Thanks so much for your input. I'll let you know what I decide.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:37 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizcurlz View Post
Blogger is own by Google. Do you think they give more importance on Blogger in terms of search engine visibility compared to other blogging platforms? I want to hear your answers about this.
That hadn't even occurred to me.

I can't say as I've tried anything similar enough between the two to be able to answer this. But in my (very limited) experience, I have gotten excellent results with Wordpress, so it IS possible. However, the niche was much less competitive than the ones I use Blogger for.

But it is certainly POSSIBLE to get ranked very quickly in the SERPs using Wordpress, I do know that much.

I actually doubt Google would give that much weight to a factor like that, but I could be wrong.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

From a pure SEO standpoint, they are both good. Google loves Blogger blogs because they are their own property and I have found ranking .blogspot.com blogs easier than .wordpress.com blogs. However, having a self hosted Wordpress site on your own domain is the best choice in the end.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:18 PM
v7n Mentor

Thanks again.

The info I have been able to gather all seems to point to a slight advantage with self-hosted Wordpress.

Someone else mentioned that wherever I'm most likely to post would be the best choice, and that's actually my blogger dashboard, since that's what I'm using 90% of the time.

I'm still debating which I'll choose in the end, but you all did a great job of answering my question. I checked out the Yoast info as well, thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Talking about me when I am starter I have first done my practice on blogger and wordpress too as this best for fresher and it teache us lot.

I enjoyed lot and comfortable with both this platform as both are different and have different advantages so it really good experience to work with these two famous one.

And now when I am clear about each and every aspects thus now I have my own self hosted blog after all self hosted is a sign of seriouness and professionalisms.

Thus as per for every new starter, I recommend blogger and wordpress both and than go for self hosted.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:05 AM
v7n Mentor

Thanks.

Yes, I've posted using Blogger dashboard (my own domains) on a half-dozen or so blogs for years. And I've had a few blogs on Wordpress over the years as well, though not posted as often. Overall I was more comfortable with Blogger.

However, I decided to go with Wordpress. It's more of a learning curve, and I've installed the Yoast plugin as well, so I'm learning that as well. So far it seems like a great tool, and I suspect that once I get used to it, I believe I will actually prefer Wordpress.

Except for my test blog, which I will be phasing into the domain I just purchased, all of my blogs are on my own domain. I agree that I wouldn't waste my time developing and promoting a free blog.

I thank everyone for their input. I really do think I am going to be much more pleased with this setup than what I've been using for some time. I may even end up being tempted to convert my others over to Wordpress, if the Yoast plugin proves as effective as it looks to be. I really appreciate the heads-up to take a look at it.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 AM

I prefer blogger, because it allows me direct access to HTML.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

same here...blogger is a user friendly blogging platform...easy to understand...but we can maybe widen the horizon and use other blogging platform like wp, weebly etc.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by barickiza View Post
I prefer blogger, because it allows me direct access to HTML.
You can add HTML and edit it easily in a self hosted wordpress blog. Have you tried out a self hosted WordPress blog yet? You have so much more control over everything.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Banned

I am the biggest fan of word press.Reason its more advance and better option then blogger.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 PM

Earlier i was using blogger but now Wordpress for many reasons ... Wordpress provides many useful widgets that a webamster needs . Besides it regularly updates the version with new features .. So i like it...

Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM
v7n Mentor

I'm still a newbie as far as Wordpress. In the blogs I've done over the years, I didn't use it much. I've probably put more hours into designing this new one over the past few days than I did in the years leading up to now.

I am hitting a few spots where things are not as EASY to do as they were in blogger (design-type elements) but I know the potential is there. I just have to learn how to do it.

Though I know a simpler, cleaner blog is better for most niches, so in fact I probably won't pursue that too far on this one. My blogger blogs could actually benefit tremendously from being switched over, I think, especially given the functions of the SEO plugins. I'm not writing as well-optimized code as I had hoped, LOL.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Closed Thread