Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

What is a backlink?

Hi guys,
Not at all good with web design and computers but I have had some reviews on my website and how to get it ranked a little higher and everyone seems to be talking about backlinks but I haven't a clue what they are, I have a links page on my website where I have exchanged links with a couple of other websites - is this what it is?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Backlinks are links pointing to your site from other spots on the internet. They can be from:
-other sites (preferrably related to or supplement your business)
-social networking sites
-directories
-articles you wrote else where
-mentions in newspapers

You exchanging links with other sites is also a way to gain incoming links but shouldn't be your only method. You need to earn some incoming links without trading or buying them. One way that this can be done is through offering social networking buttons on the pages so people visiting the page can spread the word for you.

The best way to build your incoming links is to have a plan:
Quote:
Once you get your website or blog all setup with it’s layout, quality content and the right keywords/phrases implimented in the structure of the site and in it’s content you most likely will start looking at what is needed to create a link building strategy.

If you have done your market research and studied your target audience properly you will already know where they “hang out” and what sites they visit regularly.

Before sitting down to create a link builidng strategy there is some background information you need so you end up building links efficiently. We’ll start with the basics.
Create a Link Building Strategy

Any internal links (links within your own site) pointing to a page count too. The internal links should be the absolute path to the internal page so it matches what other people will be linking with. e.g. www.mydomain.com/my-page.html

Organic links are best. These are links from other people without you forcing the issue. Your site or page earned the incoming link on it's own merit through great information or demonstration of a product and it's uses.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 03-03-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Backlinks - An anchored keyword pointing back to your website. But now, it's not just necessarily a text .. you can do it as an image or video also.

(Blog w/ anchored key) ----> Your Website <---- (Another website w/ anchored key)

Old 03-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Banned

Backlinks are of two types:-
(i) Internal backlinks:- These are those links which goes from your site to another site.
(ii) External backlinks:- Those links which comes from another website to your website .
External backlinks are very important for getting traffic and higher ranking of website.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusharma View Post
(i) Internal backlinks:- These are those links which goes from your site to another site.
That is an outbound link, not an internal link.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusharma View Post
Backlinks are of two types:-
These are not Internal Backlinks. As replied above these are outbound/external links.

Internal Links are those which are linking from one page to another page of your own site.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 PM

backlink are important, but do not spam out of the @#^%&@#^ for your site. DO it slowly and naturally, if not, prepare get sandboxed!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Simply to answer you question. Backlink is nothing but a hyperlink which is placed in another website/page/blog and is pointed to your website/page/blog etc. Backlinks are also called as Incoming links and Inbound links.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Closed Thread