Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Do Keywords HAVE to be in your content?

Is there anything wrong with using keywords that are not actually in your content? Are there rules against it?

I'm not talking about XXX and other sneaky things. I have a legitmate reason.

2 Seconds or Less - Plant a seed. Save a life.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Keywords, takes visitor to your website so you need to optimise your site with that keywords and it's very important to use top keywords in meta titels, descriptions and meta keyword. After onsite optimisation you need to continue offsite optimisation with that keywords!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

There is no reason to write a blogpost about XXX in a tech niche for example.. Better stay with your "Normal" keyword in your niche!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

No there is nothing wrong with that at all. For example (yes this is an example I do not sell dog collars) I may sell dog collars on my website but I target the keyword dog training when building links. The keyword dog training does not have to exist in my content.

With that said your content should be using semantically related words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoblue View Post
Is there anything wrong with using keywords that are not actually in your content? Are there rules against it?

Decorate Your Website For The Holidays - 2014 Graphics Pack

Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

There's nothing wrong with it. But I'm sure if you will market that key for your website, it will take time to rank it.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Exactly why you target semantically related keywords. The more you target sub-keywords the greater chance of getting ranked for the main keyword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenPayales View Post
There's nothing wrong with it. But I'm sure if you will market that key for your website, it will take time to rank it.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

You don't HAVE to do anything. You will just find it much easier to actually rank your keywords if they actually appear in your content.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea View Post
I may sell dog collars on my website but I target the keyword dog training when building links. The keyword dog training does not have to exist in my content.

With that said your content should be using semantically related words.
Excellent, thanks for the response.

I market new const. condos and villas for developers but I don't want to use the name of the project on my website. I don't want the new visitor going directly to the developers website and bypassing mine the next time they search for that const. development.

So I might put the project name Dirty Lake Estates in my keywords, but not in my content.

2 Seconds or Less - Plant a seed. Save a life.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

ALT tags are meant to be for describing an image and not keyword stuffing. Remember visually impared internet users rely upon the ALT tags to tell them what images are about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatwinn View Post
There are quite a few different places that keywords can go on your page. Some choice places for keywords are:

1:above your site logo
2: in the subheadings
3: headlines
4:within the paragraph content
5: meta title
6: subtitle
7: within links (anchor phrases)
8: meta keywords
9: images (alt tags)

Old 03-17-2012, 11:58 AM
v7n Mentor

As long as it's related, it's fine. If I search for "chicken", I don't want to see "fish".

Old 03-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

I agree you should not be trying to build links for unrelated keywords. Google's new search updates will take care of that anyways as they may be adding in the semantic search functions into the main search. This also means those marketers that try to game the system by building spammy links with XXX keywords will not rank high as they once did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchbliss View Post
As long as it's related, it's fine. If I search for "chicken", I don't want to see "fish".

Old 03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If you keep it in your contents It might have a positive impact but If you dont keep it in your content then there wont be any problem.Fact is don't remember your keyword when you write an article.Just keep trying to write an unique article that really provides value to your readers.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Articles can be written with keywords and value at the same time with no problem. Fact is your articles must contain proper spelling and grammar, semantically related words, and read at a proper grade level that corresponds to your niche, according the Flesch-Kincaid readability test.

If your content does not have this then it will be devalued in the eyes of the search engines. Your content will also determine what your readers do thus why the above is also important not for only search engines but also your readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishuvonet View Post
If you keep it in your contents It might have a positive impact but If you dont keep it in your content then there wont be any problem.Fact is don't remember your keyword when you write an article.Just keep trying to write an unique article that really provides value to your readers.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Quote:
So I might put the project name Dirty Lake Estates in my keywords, but not in my content.
This is the very reason why search engines decided to ignore the meta keywords tag in their web search. Trickery like this.

Quote:
Q: Why doesn't Google use the keywords meta tag?

A: About a decade ago, search engines judged pages only on the content of web pages, not any so-called "off-page" factors such as the links pointing to a web page. In those days, keyword meta tags quickly became an area where someone could stuff often-irrelevant keywords without typical visitors ever seeing those keywords. Because the keywords meta tag was so often abused, many years ago Google began disregarding the keywords meta tag.
Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Google does not use the keywords meta tag in web ranking

Quote:
...As for Bing, let me clear up the confusion here. In July, out on WebmasterWorld, Duane Forrester, senior product manager for Bing webmaster outreach, provided this advice about the tag:
Quote:
Iíll make this statement: meta keywords is a signal. One of roughly a thousand we analyze.

Getting it right is a nice perk for us, but wonít rock your world. Abusing meta keywords can hurt you.
That was a big change, big news, since until that point, Microsoft hadnít said that its search engine made any use of the meta keywords tag since the days of having run its own crawler. Weíre talking back even before Bing, when the search engine was known as Microsoft Live Search....

A Spam Signal
I contacted Forrester to ask if it was true, and to see what further answers he could provide. After some back and forth, it seemed clear to me that Bing is looking at the tag as a spam signal, not a ranking signal. As I summarized to him in my email:
Quote:
It sounds like youíre saying that you see a high correlation between crummy pages and people who use the meta keywords tag with garbage Ė that itís a spam signal, not a ranking signal.

If thatís the case, then Iíd still advise people that you donít use it for ranking purposes (which solves all those really annoying questions above) but you might use it as a spam signal and that people simply shouldnít use it.
And his response was:
Quote:
Yeah, youíre pretty much bang on Danny. In fact, itís not like weíre actively trying to encourage folks to start using the tag. And youíre right Ė the scenario I describe is more of a spam signal, which ultimately leads to rankings (or not, as the case may be).
So use the tag? Sure, if you want to take a chance that by overstuffing it, youíll cause Bing to think youíre spamming....
The Meta Keywords Tag Lives At Bing & Why Only Spammers Should Use It - Danny Sullivan, Search Engine Land Oct 14, 2011

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 PM

I would stick with relevant Keywords.

Are you trying to cheat the system??

Old 03-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

What do you mean cheat the system ??

There are many keywords with a great deal of related keywords that can be used for any niche. For example "dog training" has over 4,800 related keywords. That is a large amount of keywords that you can target for search rankings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Berg View Post
I would stick with relevant Keywords.

Are you trying to cheat the system??

Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

Search engines determine relevancy between title and content of your website. If anybody search "Sport Shoes" in Google then he/she expect some information that should be relevant to "Sport Shoes". Search engines always try to deliver relevant information to their user or user's search query.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

And there are 26,000+ keywords related to sports shoes which are all relevant. I can build backlinks using all those keywords and not have them in my content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyendratm View Post
Search engines determine relevancy between title and content of your website. If anybody search "Sport Shoes" in Google then he/she expect some information that should be relevant to "Sport Shoes". Search engines always try to deliver relevant information to their user or user's search query.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea View Post
And there are 26,000+ keywords related to sports shoes which are all relevant. I can build backlinks using all those keywords and not have them in my content.
What you keep harping about is true, there are many variations for a particular keyword phrase within the general theme of a page but this does not address what the OP admintted he is trying to to. Read his posts again. Putting the name of specific project in the meta keywords and not using that project name in the content on the page any where is meta keyword spamming.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member

I disagree but the OP has not mentioned the word "meta keywords".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
What you keep harping about is true, there are many variations for a particular keyword phrase within the general theme of a page but this does not address what the OP admintted he is trying to to. Read his posts again. Putting the name of specific project in the meta keywords and not using that project name in the content on the page any where is meta keyword spamming.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum