Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 AM

SEO and Forum Software

Hey guys,

I'm concerned that by using software on my forum, I am putting myself at an SEO disadvantage. The site generates URL's like ...../topic1,3.html which don't contain the title or any keywords in the title. I'm pretty confident the meta data is okay, but there is no meta keywords tag.

What is your experience on using external software like this?

Thanks

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

First of all, what forum software are you running?

I know of 1 SEO software that's for vbulletin only and used it before when I had owned a forum back in 2007. In fact, V7N is using this software and been using it for many year's.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:33 PM
v7n Mentor

You can get SEO plugins for forum software that will generate keyworded URLs (the same as you can do for blogs). I must admit I haven't done either (for forum or blogs) and it doesn't seem to affect their indexation or ranking at all.

If I blog on something, it auto-pings and the content is generally ranking strongly within 5-30 minutes.

I have Google notifications on, and new forum topics get picked up quickly as well.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:57 AM

i use phpbb for my forum. vBulletin, bbpress, mnibb and FluxBB also free forum scripts

Old 10-27-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myadsbook View Post
i use phpbb for my forum. vBulletin, bbpress, mnibb and FluxBB also free forum scripts
This response does not help the thread creator out one bit. Did you read the replies first?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:48 AM

So it autopings and google updates the content in a matter of minutes, not days?

I take it Google must crawl your website and then subsequently update their listings more often if your website is more popular?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsmike View Post
So it autopings and google updates the content in a matter of minutes, not days?

I take it Google must crawl your website and then subsequently update their listings more often if your website is more popular?

Thanks
This forum, threads get indexed within a matter of minutes as it's been around for many many years, SEO friendly URL's and i'm pretty much sure some of the VBSEO settings have something to do with this.

FYI, any questions about this software, you should create a thread in there pre-sales section to get answers from the staff or other forum admin's who using the software currently. I haven't used the software since 2007 and I know there been many updates to it.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

VBSEO is a resource hog - I purchased the plugin for my Vbulletin forum and ran it on a "dedicated" server. I had problems with many time outs and error loading pages due to the amount of processes this plugin uses.

So I removed the plugin by deleting it and all changes it does to your forum software. I then did my own SEO and everything works perfect. I edited my own files and created my own .htaccess for SEO'd urls and etc.

Just about any forum software can be SEO'd without any plugins, all you have to do is go to Google and do a search for SEOing Blank Forum and most of the time you will get results for your forum software.

What it looks like to me from the example url you gave, you are using Simple Machines Forum software. Which in my opinion is one of the worst to use but it can be used for most forums and it can be SEO'd by doing a simple Google search.

P.S. I get those time outs, slow loading times, and sometimes errors on V7N also.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 PM

Why do you say that SMF is one of the worst to use. It is my plan, though, to upgrade to vBulletin or IPB or a professional outfit as soon as the website can afford it.

Do you think even if I were to do nothing with SMF, I would still get a decent amount of organic traffic?

Michael

Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Not being rude or trying to downgrade some other forum software but the fact is SMF has some of the worst coding. It has limited abilities for certain type of forums to live up to their potential (ie: marketing forums).

Nothing wrong with using it and upgrading later to vb but keep in mind that even though vb has an import function many things can't be imported properly (ie: images / attachments).

Then you also have the problem when you upgrade the differences in URL's that may already have backlinks built to them.

I understand that you want to wait until the forum can pay for the upgrade but if you have any way to start out with a vb I certainly would do it. If not then just do as much SEO to the site as you can and run it until you can afford vb.

I would do some SEO to the forum if I was you. Doing a simple Google search you can get information on how to do the SEO such as what was posted here - http://www.jerry-bell.com/search-eng...achines-forum/ (Note I did not read that entire post).

Quote:
Why do you say that SMF is one of the worst to use. It is my plan, though, to upgrade to vBulletin or IPB or a professional outfit as soon as the website can afford it.

Do you think even if I were to do nothing with SMF, I would still get a decent amount of organic traffic?

Michael

Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 AM

Oh damn, I never considered that all those hard-earned backlinks would be broken :/

Is there a way to fix that? Like to keep the two forums running concurrently for a time? And tell guests to update their links?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

No real way to fix that. Running 2 forums on a shared host I highly doubt you would be able to if both forums are getting large amounts of traffic.

Now you could use .htaccess to redirect url's but I would not use it to redirect a large number of url's. I would set a 404 error page on my .htacces file and then I would take a "few" of the popular url's and redirect them to the new forum url. Update sitemap and submit new sitemap to Google.

You may lose some backlink juice but that is expected with changing any site from one platform to another platform.

Quote:
Oh damn, I never considered that all those hard-earned backlinks would be broken :/

Is there a way to fix that? Like to keep the two forums running concurrently for a time? And tell guests to update their links?

Thanks,
Michael

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum