Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 03-16-2013, 11:59 AM

How to do seo for an e-com website?

Hello folks

Can anyone please tell me how to do seo for an e-com website, I want full method from starting to end.

Thank you

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraj View Post
Hello folks

Can anyone please tell me how to do seo for an e-com website, I want full method from starting to end.

Thank you
Hey karanraj,
Keep in mind the following points while starting with SEO for an eCommerce site:

- Make sure that you are using unique product descriptions
- And also use unique title and description tags
- Include product reviews or user comments
- Make use of internal contextual links
- Allow product tagging
- Keep all products within 2-3 clicks from the home page
- Make sure that you are Using links within product description
- Also Optimize images

Old 03-18-2013, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

I would say that the one thing that everybody fails in is to create unique product description. It's boring, I understand. But it's a must!

Just like Ashley suggested

Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 PM

first of all you have to give title, meta keyword, meta description.

than give alt tag to all image.

content and image ratio should be 3:1

one h1 only in one page.

proper URL

No spam

no more java script Usually 7 java script allowed per page

no more css file

etc...

Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

Make product pages URL SEO Friendly, Enter Unique Description, Title for every page.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankush Gupta View Post
Make product pages URL SEO Friendly, Enter Unique Description, Title for every page.
How can the thread creator make the URL's SEO friendly? Please add some details so the thread creator doesn't have to keep asking people to explain further.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

If you end up using Magento as your shopping cart (which I do), there are many ways the software will allow you to optimize each page. I would suggest breaking down your catalog into well thought out categories. Each category has its own SEO tasks as well. Writing good descriptions of the category and adding the correct meta info for each is crucial. Once the categories are set up, entering the products and assigning them categories is the next hurdle. Each product must have its own unique information as well as meta information. Magento does an excellent job of optimizing the picture size and alt tagging, making that task really easy- simply upload the picture you want to use. In addition, the cart software has built in CMS pages and content blocks that can be used to display text, or better yet- youtube videos highlighting your products. I am currently working on that particular stream right now.
Picking the right software is almost personal; if you like the functionality, the look and feel etc. However, this program as well as the other leading cart packages are very powerful and need lots of server power. Do not go cheap on your hosting solution. If you write the best SEO info, have the greatest products and offer the best customer service it is all in vain if your customers and Google can't even get the site to work properly. Good luck, and keep it legit.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM

And don't forget to write reviews on high PR websites - blogs, forums, communities!
It helped my e-shop - i got a lot of targeted traffic and as a consequence rankings began improving.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathansykes View Post
content and image ratio should be 3:1

no more java script Usually 7 java script allowed per page
Coulld you please explain where you got those numbers from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathansykes View Post
no more css file
You are proposing having the CSS in the head of each page and/or inline? If so, that is not a good suggestion. It causes a huge maintenance problem plus increases the download time of a page. Ecommerce sites have enough problems with download speed due to having to fetch the info from a database. It has to fetch the info, assemble the page and then present to the visitor. If the database or programming is not optimized for high performance having the CSS in the page just adds to the slow down of the page rendering.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seomouse View Post
And don't forget to write reviews on high PR websites - blogs, forums, communities!
It helped my e-shop - i got a lot of targeted traffic and as a consequence rankings began improving.
Are you suggesting writing reviews about your own site? If so, that is kind of dishonest don't you think?

Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraj View Post
Hello folks

Thank you
Every other reply gave you bits and pieces of information and not a real start to finish explaination as you asked.

Doing SEO for an ecommerce site is no different than doing it for a regular site or a blog. There are certain things you do which as a total package improve the whole SEO of the pages and site in general.

The unique product descriptions suggestions were spot on. It is really hard to do but is a necessary evil if you want to succeed.

You didn't state if you have any experience doing SEO at all. Assuming this is all new to you I would suggest you start with reading Google's SEO guide. Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide (opens a PDF) After reading that and making notes or a checklist for yourself of what to do for each page you can move onto the required tweaks of this basic information by reading each of the Webmaster Guidelines set out by the search engines. Yes, a lot of reading and note taking but in the long run it will all be worth it.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Number one rule is to create quality content, thus the rest will just follow. Sharing fresh and interesting content is really essential.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 PM

Quality SEO work is the best option for e-com website. Unique content submission on high pr sites and high pr sites link building all that this is the best for SEO work of e-com website.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

First of all you must know your products well. If you offer varied products, then know each pros and cons. This is a mark of a true salesman. If you don't know your product, then you can't convince customers. Then run a promotional campaign to make your products attractive. Then you get the services of an ecommerce website developer.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 PM

I hope you are creating your e-commerce web site with a system similar to Wordpress that gets most of your on-page SEO done for you.
It will make things much easier for you.
Next step I would do is write a 250+ word description for each of your products. This will help it get indexed by Google. Another thing I'd recommend is submitting your products to shopping directories such as stylehive.
Also make sure you are getting your back links made and posted. This is vital for any type of website!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah indeed. While doing SEO for E-commerce website, you also need to consider that traffic is extremely important for that. Comment on relevant blogs, participate in forums and do all the off page SEO techniques efficiently to bring traffic and improve rankings.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum