Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

ht access and seo

Am going to redirect an old domain to a new one using ht access.What are the factors I should consider in the terms of seo?New domain is just a new version of my old domain its only different in its template and some of the content.Thets all,Will this cause to drop my traffic ?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Contributing Member

You would see some fluctuation in your ranking, but don't worry about it. Just keep your focus on building quality links and you could acquire top ranking.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailender View Post
You would see some fluctuation in your ranking, but don't worry about it. Just keep your focus on building quality links and you could acquire top ranking.
Can you elaborate what may be the reason for this?What I have to do to avoid this?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM
v7n Mentor

Bob,

If the domain itself has no change in terms of characters, you shouldn’t see any changes in rank. You should also not have to redirect it. For instance if your old domain is www.example.com and your new domain is www.example.com with different content, you don’t have to redirect anything.

Unless I’m misunderstanding your question you shouldn’t have to mess with .htaccess at all.

Here is some good information on redirecting your site if you are actually changing the domain name.
http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=83105

Best,

Shawn

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 05-03-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobwhite View Post
Am going to redirect an old domain to a new one using ht access.
Make sure it is a 301 permanent redirect. Some hosting companies when they help you don't get it has to be a 301 permanent redirect for SEO purposes.

If you pay attention to the Google Toolbar PR you will see it go to nothing. Don't panic, it will reappear next time they update it. (Goodness knows when though)

If your redirect is done properly, eventually the search engines will learn that your pages have moved over here.... Over time, your new location will replace the old results.

I wouldn't use Google's or Bing's "We Moved" things only. This information is available to the specific search engine. The 301 permanent redirect solves the problem for all bots and incoming links so it gives you more bang for you time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobwhite View Post
What are the factors I should consider in the terms of seo?New domain is just a new version of my old domain its only different in its template and some of the content.Thets all,Will this cause to drop my traffic ?
Hopefully your new template uses the same url structure as the old one. i.e. if you went from .htm to Wordpress you have done the appropriate things in the .htaccess file (or with a plugin if using Wordpress) to redirect the old format of the url to the new format.

If you dumped or renamed any pages during the redesign then make sure you use 301 permanent redirects to salvage any incoming links to that page and notify the search engines it has moved. This will overcome the 404 issue from the update. Do this later also if you make any further changes in the future.

Changes to the actual content can make a difference. It will either improve your search results or damage your existing search results success. Hopefully you made changes that will improve (over time) your standings in the search results.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

I would do 301 permanent redirect and in Google Webasters Tools update that page moved to new address.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

No doubt, 301 is SEO friendly.. but redirection is not too effective..

Why are you going to redirect your old domain name? Because your old domain name is penalized? If penalized then why not start the fresh work?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBlogger View Post
I would do 301 permanent redirect and in Google Webasters Tools update that page moved to new address.

But my domain is the same with an extension like beta.example.com in new url.Is it necessary to update that on webmaster tool,How can I update that?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum