Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 07-25-2006, 12:10 AM

coop question

I was checking to see if link-vaults home page was still knocked out of google, and it is.

It got me curious about digital point's coop page and I found something that struck me as odd. I don't claim to know a lot regarding google and their practices, but when I do a search for the coop page the only thing that is returned is their link via a proxy.

I am searching for the actual ad network page - http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...d%2Dnetwork%2F

and the only result is below. This is the only DP page I see that comes up like this. Is this a method to prevent the page from getting completely removed?

proxy-surfing.com/nph-proxy.cgi/000110A/http/www.digitalpoint.com/tools/ad-network/

I have used the ads in the past, took them off a few months ago due to rumors of google cracking down on link exchanges. I was thinking about giving it a try again on one site, but wanted to check things out a little closer first, this is how I seen this.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 12:11 AM

Not to mention if you search for DigitalPoint Co-op I dont get the page

Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 PM
v7n Mentor

I have a buddy that was involved with the co-op from DP. He runs a large website related to bars, beers and wine. Last month on June 21st he got penalized by Google along with some of the other participants of the DP co-op.

Now he doesn't even come up for his site name, let alone the keywords he was ranking for.

To me, the co-op still sounds like an un-natural - bad idea in the on going saga to increase website traffic. Too Risky.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:00 PM

I'm sorry... this is way off topic, but everytime I see this thread title I think of this artist.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfu
I have a buddy that was involved with the co-op from DP. He runs a large website related to bars, beers and wine. Last month on June 21st he got penalized by Google along with some of the other participants of the DP co-op.

Now he doesn't even come up for his site name, let alone the keywords he was ranking for.

To me, the co-op still sounds like an un-natural - bad idea in the on going saga to increase website traffic. Too Risky.
I'm the boozer that Webfu was talking about.

Basically, I was using it to try to game Y & MSN.
I was pointing all of my bar site's weight at other small sites I run. My big site had no inbounds via the coop.

We weren't banned just severely penalized, average position at 31-40 for "My Business Name My City",

There was pretty lively discussion about it on the DP forum, and I think it spurned the guy who runs it to ad a nofollow option.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:48 AM

awesome art!^^

Old 07-29-2006, 02:13 PM

I've been using the coop since it's inception, and overall I've been real happy with it. I removed it from my main site about 4-5 months ago, as the links just looked out of place on a professional website (links to ladies lingerie? I think not).

But I left it on my other sites, and was using that weight to drive traffic to my main site. And that was working great until Google started "losing" pages from it's index, and my sites that were in the coop went from 12K pages indexed to 4.

I've spent the last month believing that it's due to a glitch in Google, as there are MANY webmasters in the same boat. At this point, my weight in the coop is non-existant, since I no longer have any indexed pages, so I removed the coop from the site. I'm now waiting to see if the pages will get reindexed. If so, there may indeed be some sort of penalty being given to sites running the coop.

I'll keep you all posted. I'm hoping that it's not coop related, because my weight was causing all my important terms to rank well in MSN, which was brininging me a surprising amount of business (while Google has left me high and dry since last October).

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum