Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

SEO: The Future Is Bright, The Future Is Linkless

This is a good read.

Quote:
Less than a year ago links were everything to the SEO industry. Whether it was guest blogging or content marketing, the sole aim of many agencies revolved purely around sourcing and acquiring links. Even now you can still find conferences and 'how to' guides yammering on about how great they are. So what if I was to say that links aren’t that important, won’t add as much value eventually and shouldn’t be the main focus of your SEO campaigns?

You might laugh with an air of whimsical disbelief, like a man at the pub had just tried to convince you Margaret Thatcher was actually part cyborg.

Yet if you piece together the mutterings and theories from global industry experts – both from everyone’s favourite poster boy Matt Cutts and thought leaders from the likes of SEOmoz – it starts to become clear that you might well be able to run a successful campaign without...
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/seo-the-fu...re-is-linkless

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM

I don't think that the futur will be linkless, I don't think that links will have more importance.
I know that it will be more and more difficult for webmasters to get quality links. Blog commenting, directory submissions are no more quality links for Google. The last option is guest blogging, but it takes time

Old 05-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

I like the article. Links are going the same way as keywords.

Google has so much information these days that it can soon ascertain the 'quality' of a page, of a writer, and of a whole website even before it has got round to assessing the 'official' description and keywords.

As regards links in, it has long been able to tell which links have occurred naturally on different social network pages over time, and which have been stuffed by the same user over a short time.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

If you able to get quality links, then the future is bright unless leave seo and start something new....

Old 05-24-2013, 06:02 PM

I recently checked Alexa and noticed that while Ebay and Craigslist have a combination of about 5,000 less links than they did six months ago, they continue to rank as well in Alexa. That right there is pretty strong evidence that links hold less value to Google now than they did six months ago.

Google now also looks at citation - mentions of a business, name, book title, etc. This is why Yelp and other reviews are very important.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:02 PM

I read the entire article and must agree....Rachel is definitely a hottie...)

Additionally...the drift is clear...SEO "experts" that rely solely on link building are soon to be seeking other forms of income.....

That could have a positive impact on forum spam....

Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, the days of getting as many links as you can are over, it's turning into a social media world, so "Shares" are going to be the new backlinks.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBowen View Post
I recently checked Alexa and noticed that while Ebay and Craigslist have a combination of about 5,000 less links than they did six months ago, they continue to rank as well in Alexa. That right there is pretty strong evidence that links hold less value to Google now than they did six months ago.

Google now also looks at citation - mentions of a business, name, book title, etc. This is why Yelp and other reviews are very important.
What are You talking about? This is Ebay.... Ebay dont even need links to be high in SERP, You think that google are stupid? People are working there not only bots. Trustworthy websites will alwayw be listed high

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

I've heard, since I first learned about SEO about a decade ago, about the imminent change to some other basis for search engine ranking. All the updates so far have actually just been improved implementations of the basic principles that I learned. Even the addition of social media links was consistent with the original concept of link-counting and weighting.

However, this new concept of co-articulation and co-citation is the first fundamental change that I've heard about. Fascinatiing. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Anybody can remove all the back links and stay for few months without any link I want to test it but no courage ...because still I trust on back links......

Old 05-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Contributing Member

As far as I know backlinks are as important as ever because we can say "Hands" to Link Building. We can't make improvements if we don't have hands. There are many types to get links from like Social Signals, Content Marketing, etc. "Link" activity can die when SEO will finish

Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think future will be linkless totally. But yes the importance of backlinks quantity will go down. As Google is giving more importance to the quality of links, the quality of links will be the future, in my opinion.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

That article is so well written! I love the conversational style and funny bits

But that aside, the sadly article seems to contradict itself. It says that links will become irrelevant and that link building will not be required, but then goes to on state;

"The answer is simple. By combining knowledge on entities, associations, co-occurrence and authorship, you can build a strategy that actually solves a problem or satisfies a need for your target audience. By doing this you will increase traffic and naturally generate links."

As though implying that you still need those links! Natural or not. Clearly we still need links.

Amanda

Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Nice article, and nice links to videos and other interesting articles.

What made me go ahaa the most is that in the past we and other brands might take it very badly when sites try to use our brand name in their titles and content to try to outrank us or steal some of our traffic.

If this is the direction search engine are takin, we might even profit from sites trying to profit from our brand names, cause in the end WE are the brand and not them and google apparently knows this ..so instead of stealing our traffic they end up promoting our brand ! I like the sound of that :-)

Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

I am not agree with this topic that the future will be linkless. Links are always valuable for getting good rank on major search engines. After Google's panda and penguin updates, Google gives more priority over the quality of links.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the article.
I think back links are not so hopeless. Probably it will be harder to create quality back links and therefore people will search new strategies for SEO

Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 AM
v7n Mentor

Of course, the future is bright for SEO but what it really means is that people start to adapt the changes which are occurring. You just can't be sitting around and hoping to get the top Google rankings. For the time being, links will remain the #1 thing for everybody and we have to earn them.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Its not if someone posts in his blog, it happens.. anyone can post anything but doesnt means it will happen. Googles Algorithm rely on backlinks. Nothing can change that.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

relavancy is the pr ... SEO is not dead it is just changed his face due to google animals. Links are the basic fundamentals to crawl the web.

article title should be like this "White hat SEO: The Future Is Bright, The Future Is spammy Linkless"

Old 06-04-2013, 01:11 AM
Contributing Member

ahahahah! Lol at the thread title. Love the humor! It shouldn't be absolutely linkless, it should be lesser links. This only shows we have to be smart who we link to or where we post our links from. Google continues to deal with this one. They've been targeting backlinks with the updates. The thing is just to avoid what Google doesn't want. grrrr!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum