Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

Link Swapping

I read somewhere about link swapping is the good technique in Link Building strategy. I read on other blogs also to understand easily but I can't. Anyone knows this activity ? Is this helpful to boost rank ?

Thanks in Advance.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

Link swapping means the same as link exchange and is (to a certain degree) an outdated technique. By today Google states that excessive link exchange can be harmful for your sites ranking. To have some exchanged links pointing to your site is ok, but don't overdo and do it only with sites/pages where the theme is really close related to yours.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Link Swapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline42 View Post
Link swapping means the same as link exchange and is (to a certain degree) an outdated technique. By today Google states that excessive link exchange can be harmful for your sites ranking. To have some exchanged links pointing to your site is ok, but don't overdo and do it only with sites/pages where the theme is really close related to yours.
Thanks for instant reply. I think we should kick out from mind to this technique before read anymore.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Hi,

Link exchange can be beneficial but do exchange with relevant sites only.

Kindest

Old 06-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Nothing wrong I'd say with the occasional carefully selected, relevant reciprocal link exchange. Still a valid traffic tactic which brings hits to my sites every day.

All part of the traffic generation mix. I'd suggest mixing up/varying the anchor text and descriptions you use if nothing else for a bit of variety.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Link swapping is a waste of time. You want to create content that's worth linking to, and the backlinks will follow naturally.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I never do link exchanges with people. Never have and never will. It's an old tactic that just doesn't work that well. People have a page dedicated to link exchanges which is just a link farm or have text links in side bar which is spammy looking. (I'm talking about anchor text links that not even related to the current sites niche)

Here is some info from Google about Link schemes:
Quote:
Your site's ranking in Google search results is partly based on analysis of those sites that link to you. The quantity, quality, and relevance of links influences your ranking. The sites that link to you can provide context about the subject matter of your site, and can indicate its quality and popularity.

Any links intended to manipulate a site's ranking in Google search results may be considered part of a link scheme. This includes any behavior that manipulates links to your site, or outgoing links from your site. Manipulating these links may affect the quality of our search results, and as such is a violation of Google’s Webmaster Guidelines.

The following are examples of link schemes which can negatively impact a site's ranking in search results:
•Buying or selling links that pass PageRank. This includes exchanging money for links, or posts that contain links; exchanging goods or services for links; or sending someone a “free” product in exchange for them writing about it and including a link

• Excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you")
• Linking to web spammers or unrelated sites with the intent to manipulate PageRank
• Building partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking
• Using automated programs or services to create links to your site
Continued at: http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=66356

Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks to everyone for sharing such a good replies. Now I got things about Link swapping.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 AM

Thumbs up

Link swapping is also called Link Exchanging its just an exchanging of web links.

It means posting your url in others website & posting their url in your website. That's it.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgeorge017 View Post
Link swapping is also called Link Exchanging its just an exchanging of web links.

It means posting your url in others website & posting their url in your website. That's it.
This was covered already if you read all the replies.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Link swapping is a technique of interchange the link. It is similar to link exchange but now a days it is outdated and not in use. Even it is harmful for our sites.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

IMO, I can still see some value in sharing links - IF, and only if: firstly, you look at it as value added material for site visitors to access. And secondly, you can obtain some residual traffic from the other side too. I don't have to mention that there has to be some relevance and no conflicting aspect to products or services offered by both sides. Nothing to do with "SEO" but more about what makes sense. Why share a link with a jewlry store if you sell low glycemic recipes?

Having said that, once you start looking at a link exchange as an SEO tactic to gain PageRank or hoping to push your rankings to the top of Page #1, well, you are pretty much destined to fret for no reason and are wasting your time.

Last edited by LMD; 06-13-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

You can do few three-way link exchange with relevant websites but make sure that you don't leave any foot print, otherwise Google would catch you and you may get penalization as well.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:23 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Nikhil,

as much i understood with your question you asking for reviews on link exchange .. !!

well its not good to do as per google policies but wait it doesn't end up here in one video of matt he told if they found that if your links are swapped natural way and on required way than they don't mind on same

so this is how it works as per goodle policies and snakeair has guided you already well so hope your doubts got cleared well

Old 06-14-2013, 03:55 AM
Banned

Link swapping is good if it is between relevant website.
And can boost rank because both site share each-others traffic and their pr can increase link juice of both sites.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum