Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

301 Redirect to Hompage?

I have several pages that are targeting the same keywords as my homepage basically. I know Google does not like it when you 301 all your old pages to your Hompage but if the pages are relevant and there are only a few of them will this help my Hompage? Is this even worth doing? Or should I just keep the old pages as they are? The reason I am asking is because my Homepage has failed to rank due to these other pages being almost identical key terms. I have never been able to get these pages to rank together. So I was thinking I would be better off creating 1 super page with all the others redirected to it. Any Ideas on this? I'm new to this 301 redirect thing so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

We have a business website and few months ago we updated it from one platform to another.

our old website URL structure was like this:
http://www.SAMPLE.com/product_service

but the new URL structure is,
http://www.SAMPLE.com/product-service

The main difference on hyphen and underscore. So after the update we got lots of 404 error under google webmaster center. but we install a plugin under our website so that all 404 page redirect to home page. So do you think this is harmful for SEO?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, you can create a super-page if you think that it would be relevant to those error pages so that all the error pages would be redirected to this.

The alternative is either you can 301-redirect to home page or any relevant page.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
The main difference on hyphen and underscore. So after the update we got lots of 404 error under google webmaster center. but we install a plugin under our website so that all 404 page redirect to home page. So do you think this is harmful for SEO?
Take a look at this video Matt Cutts on 301 Redirect

Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 PM

Hi..
i too have the same problem after submitting i am getting 404 error for many pages...can anyone help to avoid such errors??please?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:17 AM

If all your other pages except homepage are representing the same content as homepage, go ahead with the super page concept. If not change the content of other pages and resubmit to search engine for indexing.
If you want to use 301 redirect go for htaccess redirect. 301 redirect is very easy and efficient way to eliminate 404 errors. If your website is hosted on linux server you can use htaccess redirect.

Last edited by suresh.krishna; 06-16-2013 at 03:20 AM.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocool7 View Post
I have several pages that are targeting the same keywords as my homepage basically. I know Google does not like it when you 301 all your old pages to your Hompage but if the pages are relevant and there are only a few of them will this help my Hompage? Is this even worth doing? Or should I just keep the old pages as they are? The reason I am asking is because my Homepage has failed to rank due to these other pages being almost identical key terms. I have never been able to get these pages to rank together. So I was thinking I would be better off creating 1 super page with all the others redirected to it. Any Ideas on this? I'm new to this 301 redirect thing so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
I would suggest re-targeting the old pages, and not 301 redirect. This way they can stand on their own without duplicate content worries. I other words, use them to your advantage and in-turn your homepage will gain strength. Also, different pages need to rank for different (relevant) searches. Your homepage does not need to be the dominate page. Google's algo takes real world searchers to what they are looking for, and most often then not, it isn't the homepage of any website.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum