Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM

Seo and back linking noobie

Hi I'm steve from Glasgow, scotland
I searched for a nice friendly sight as I can be annoying with all my questions and the last thing I want to do is look outu flame retardant suit. This forum seems to fit the bill, looks ace.

Phew I don't know where to start,

11 years ago I entered a yahoo chat room and I asked how to go about building a website. Long story short, a fine gentleman built me a website from scratch, paid for hosting, however he wouldn't ever take anything for building and updating. He done me a huge favour as my website got me quite a lot of business. I have no idea what he did or where he entered me but it worked quite well and even to this day if you search 'Glasgow Valeting' I am the top hit.

Sadly, Arthur passed away. :-( before he left he brought me up to speed on how to update content and pics via cpanel-file legacy.

I've been using cpanel for years, however I'm limited with the design so its a little date.

My main issue is I feel the other Valeting companies are starting to take over and I would like to find out more about rectifying this. Often I am contacted by web designers who say my site is dated and it needs brought up to google standards, they quote me one off prices, ongoing prices, however I just don't know what I'm buying so that's really why I'm here.

I have another two companies that I made through wix, I don't know if that's a good thing or not but I have to say, they look much better than my original site, I'm quite happy with the look of them

When I made the aforementioned sites, I tried to put the most appropriate keywords in. I only made the sites a few days ago/few weeks ago and I'm surprised I found them a few pages back with some of my searches.

I'd like to know about back linking, I know I have google, unfortunately I need it spelled out for me sometimes. I'm unclear if a back link is or isn't any of the following.

A a friend lists my URL on the link section of his site

B listing my URL in my profile in a car forum

C listing my site in local directories

D a link from twitter, facebook, Instagram, eBay, gumtree

Also, is there a place I should enter my site to be included in search engines.

If you've made it this far I really appreciate it and any feedback would be superb.

Steve

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Well you seem to be on the right track, because everything you listed is a backlink!

Whenever your site is mentioned on a website like Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook etc., it's considered a 'social signal' which search engines place a lot of value on as people are talking about your site.

You can enter your site in directories for backlinks, although I wouldn't go overboard with it. Maybe five in total that have a high PR (Pagerank) Higher PR backlinks are worth more than lower ones.

http://seoupdates.info/do-follow-hig...b-directories/ Has a great list that you can submit your site to, just make sure it's in the right category.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Steve,

I'm sorry for your loss. Arthur is indeed a rare and generous person for volunteering his web development expertise.

If you want to save some money on maintaining your website, it is certainly a good idea to start building one by yourself. Given the plethora of guides online, it is no longer that hard to be your own webmaster and manage your online marketing.

However, just a note, if you plan to replace the backend of your website, you may suffer a loss in your SEO rankings. You would need to make sure your link structure and content are as similar to the old site as possible, to ensure Google doesn't get "confused" as to where your original content go. Here's an article that can help you get started: http://www.toprankblog.com/2008/10/s...hurt-rankings/

Hope that helps, and all the best in maintaining your website!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 PM

Refurbishing a site is a lot like refurbishing a car ...or can be..

A new paint job goes a long way......
Some of your rank is probably based on content...add some new...slowly..
New colors if appropriate, can help...
new graphics..updated...

Just a few ideas that I hope will help..

Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 AM

I really appreciate the replies, when I get home tonight I will check out the links and see what else I can do.

Updating my old site is gonna be the tricky one as cpanel confuses me a little. I do naturally update content as I go along, however only on 2 pages. I would love to change the colour, however I've failed a few times now. I even look at the coding and recognise #fffff for instance then reckon I can change that value.

Ideally I would like to wave a magic wand and have my website with wix rather than cpanel.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum