Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 AM

Need Opinion regarding SEO

Hi,

We have a business running with a domain example(dot)com. I am doing SEO for example(dot)com and ranking well for several keywords.

But now my company decided to use example(dot)com as adwords landing page. They are going to delete all 200 pages of my website and keep example(dot)com as a single page website.

So i immediately purchased new domain example(dot)org.This will be replica of current 200 page seo targeted website and now i planning to redirect all example(dot)com pages to respective example(dot)org. I will continue SEO for example(dot)org

Now i want to confirm whether i am doing right or not ?

Because one of my friend suggesting to use www2(dot)example(dot)com for SEO. But my opinion is www2 is a sub-domain and it is used for load balancing. So i prefer example(dot)org for my SEO activities.

So i think i am going in right way with using example(dot)org instead of sub-domain

Please share your opinions. I appreciate it.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

No You should not do this...It will affect your website Rankings.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Contributing Member

My suggestion to you is just avoid this.

Quote:
It will affect your website Rankings.
Yeah you are right I agree with you.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Why not run Adwords on example(dot)org instead and keep your main website with 200 webpages as it is, because those pages you worked hard to produce, and not to mention rank them in Google. I would strongly avoid the pathways you have mentioned in your thread. Because, deleting 200 ranking pages just to run Adwords on a single webpage would be shooting yourself in the foot.
Think about it? It seems that your website (with all those pages aren't producing the conversion outcomes you really want) Thus this dramatic change is suggested to you by someone, why cut the hand that feeds you something at least, and why not create a single page website on the .org version?

Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybrion View Post
Hi,
We have a business running with a domain example(dot)com. I am doing SEO for example(dot)com and ranking well for several keywords.
But now my company decided to use example(dot)com as adwords landing page. They are going to delete all 200 pages of my website and keep example(dot)com as a single page website.
So i immediately purchased new domain example(dot)org.This will be replica of current 200 page seo targeted website and now i planning to redirect all example(dot)com pages to respective example(dot)org. I will continue SEO for example(dot)org
Now i want to confirm whether i am doing right or not ?
Because one of my friend suggesting to use www2(dot)example(dot)com for SEO. But my opinion is www2 is a sub-domain and it is used for load balancing. So i prefer example(dot)org for my SEO activities.
So i think i am going in right way with using example(dot)org instead of sub-domain
Please share your opinions. I appreciate it.
Yes, do it. Move all the pages to your .org domain and use a 301 redirect to tell Google that you moved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdesigndevelopment View Post
No You should not do this...It will affect your website Rankings.
If you can, please explain. If not... well, don't worry about it. A proper redirection passes 90-99% of link juice to the redirected page (the guys at Moz said it).

Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Either you do proper 301 redirect or you would suffer a drop in ranking.

Also, why not use example(dot)org as the page for Adwords? And why do they need to delete all 200 pages just because they want to use the homepage for advertising? Does not make any sense.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 PM

I feel that it is still un-logical to approach this along the lines the thread creator is thinking about (delete an entire website for the sake of 1 landing page for Adwords?)
First of all, let us for a moment forget about what the guys/gals at moz has said (because they also have a lot of information about how to recover lost rankings) also because mentors and moderators at v7n can advise better than the rest (some of the mentors moderators at this community have been around for years at this online game, surely, their advise is first hand knowledge))
It doesn't matter how you redirect, you will lose rankings because of it, and each new web page you create will be ranked according to its own content (and not because you are redirecting certain amount of web page) so once again, you can do 301, which for 200 pages will take bit of time, because to see any benefit, you have to redirect each page according to related new page.

Second of all "This will be replica of current 200 page seo targeted website"
you simply can't do this or else not only will you lose your old web page rankings, but you will simply not rank your new site at all (and that I can assure you)
Because to really tackle this matter and see any good results, then on your new domain, you have to create 200 web pages with unique content (and not replica)

And those who forgot to read & understand Google Guidelines, here's an excerpt
"Don't do a single redirect directing all traffic from your old site to your new home page. This will avoid 404 errors, but it's not a good user experience. It's more work, but a page-to-page redirect will help preserve your site's ranking in Google while providing a consistent and transparent experience for your users"
https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/83105?hl=en
So once again let's forget about the pexperts at other websites, and give the thread creator the answer he deserves ;-)

Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. View Post
Yes, do it. Move all the pages to your .org domain and use a 301 redirect to tell Google that you moved.

If you can, please explain. If not... well, don't worry about it. A proper redirection passes 90-99% of link juice to the redirected page (the guys at Moz said it).
Yes the redirects will pass the authority of the old webpages to new ones but there are few things to know before doing it.

1) The rankings will be a bit lower then the First site for sure.

Why would someone lose rankings just for the sake of one landing page ?

People at moz did said it passes around 90% of the link juice but they won't recommend either moving an entire site just for one landing page and lose rankings for few days and that though ( a bit lower rankings)

@op i suggest you don't take chances with your rankings and get a .org version as your landing page.

I recommend using a subdirectory of your .com version for landing page.
E.g - example.com/landing/

No offence to anyone but moving a Ranking site for the purpose of a landing page doesn't makes sense to me.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:40 AM

I suggest you run adword on example(dot)org instead of your main website. In this case you have to do work only for example(dot)org for adword. And If you will run example(dot).com for adword then you will have to work more and spend more time.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

dot com for single page and dot org for 200 pages? why your company is doing so? I don't understand this. However, use 301 redirects to keep your effort on work..

Old 08-08-2013, 05:13 PM

As the SEO it should be your job to suggest that the current website remains as it is now, and use the new domain as the Adwords landing page.

Not that it is impossible to pass the link juice, authority and rankings to the new domain, but there is no logical reason to do it that way.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM

SEO of any website is not a day or two day game. It takes months. So now it is up to you what are you planning. If you are thinking of a long run, then there is no issue but in the short run you have to face dropping in google ranking. According to me, One should maintain balance between its long and short run plans.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Why you are removing or moving website either optimize a landing page for adwords don't understand your sense behind that.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

I suggest you run adwords on example(dot)org. Instead of deleting or redirecting the website. If you doing this you lost your organic ranking + traffic of your website.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum