Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 03-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Red face MyBlogGuest slammed by Google Spam Team

This was in my email inbox and has been confirmed by the owner of the site +Ann Smarty and Gerald Weber.
Quote:
Myblogguest.com Penalized

It's breaking out on Twitter now that Myblogguest.com owned and run by Annsmarty has been hit with penalty and is no longer ranking for its own name. This service has been growing over the years and must have been very nervous following the announcements recently by Matt Cutts (and us) about the precarious nature of the Guest Blogging 'Industry'.

So far its unclear if Google have also penalized the sites within the network who were using the platform to connect with 'publishers' and SEO companies otherwise named 'inbound marketers' who coined the term in a quest to move away from basic link building to a more 'advanced' white hat friendly service, https://twitter.com/search?q=myblogguest&src=typd

WHITE-HAT OR BLACK-HAT?

However, whoever honestly believed that 'Guest Blogging' would not turn sour had their heads in the sand. Clearly its manipulation according to Google and Google's war on Spam as they term it has been ramped up over recent years as well as being made public. Prior to this Google was engaged in a silent war where they penalized companies in the dark not telling them that they were penalized because of their link profile.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE ENGAGED IN GUEST BLOGGING?

Right now, and following these public declarations by Matt Cutts that Guest blogging is no longer acceptable, if you (OR YOUR SEO COMPANY) have engaged in Guest blogging you will need to take a close look at your back link profile and closely monitor the health of the links pointing to your companies web sites now and going forward into the future.
Were you a user of MyBlogGuest services? and have you seen a difference in the SERPS for any content you may have submitted to them?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Ann Smarty's response on Twitter:
Quote:
[Official] Even though #myblogguest has been against paying for links (unlike other platforms), @mattcutts team decided to penalize us...
7:27 AM - 19 Mar 2014

From the My Blog Guest community at Google+
Quote:
Shannon Hutcheson
13:24
Tomorrow on Webcology @WebmasterRadio-@seosmarty, Ann Smarty on Google & the MyBlogGuest Action. 2pmET - ow.ly/uLiWm
https://plus.google.com/+RossHinton/...ts/QD58WWQ5inS

Apparently Ann Smarty is at PubCon.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

I did hint about this specific site in another thread under Google. I said over there that such sites should get deindexed.

But I don't think this penalty is causing any harm to the site. Apparently, she is using Google adwords to advertise her site. When I inserted the name in search bar, the site came on the top as an ad. I did sign up for the site long time ago, but never went back.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Ann Smarty's post regarding what happened:
Quote:
Now, to the fact: What actually happened?

I have just re-verified MyBlogGuest in GWT (it had been dropped earlier after some bug) and here’s the error they are giving:
Quote:
Google has detected a pattern of unnatural artificial, deceptive, or manipulative links pointing to pages on this site. These may be the result of buying links that pass PageRank or participating in link schemes.
That means Google didn’t like links TO our site.
Read her full response here: #MyBlogGuest Update: Thank You for the Support!!!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Google’s Matt Cutts Implies MyBlogGuest Publishers Will Receive Penalties

Quote:
Yesterday, there was confusion over if those publishers who participated in MyBlogGuest.com would also be penalized. I suspected they would be and it seems that is the case. We have Matt Cutts, Google’s head of search spam, tweeting that it is likely and we have several publishers from the network claiming they have manual action notifications in their Webmaster Tools accounts as of yesterday.
Google’s Matt Cutts Implies MyBlogGuest Publishers Will Receive Penalties

Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 PM

And many penalties have been rolled out, talks about it on a lot of forums and Webmaster forums as well.

It seems they punished the sites that were linking to sites and sites that received links. I'm not sure if everyone was affected but a large number were.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Contributing Member

I think it will not create any problem for authors

Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanviola View Post
I think it will not create any problem for authors
Why do you think that?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

What many don't realize or know of the back story is, she was warned about keeping links in a "dofollow" state.

Cutts made numerous videos hinting at sites like Ann's. And the really odd thing is, there's no mention of the penalty in either the blog or G+ page for the MBG site.

Do you think Ann should add the nofollow and then carry on with the same business model? Or do you think her site will go down in usage?

Last edited by sfod_d223; 03-25-2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Added content

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum