Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 AM
Banned

Switching from shop.domain.com to www.domain.com

Currently my company has a fairly backwards site structure in which if you click on any link off our homepage you are taken from www.domain.com to shop.domain.com. Because of this practically all of our organic ranking pages are shop.domain.com/page.

Now they would like to get rid of that and go straight www.domain.com and get rid of the shop.domain.com pages. I'm thinking that it will be as simple as making all shop.domain.com pages 301 to the www.domain.com page and eventually the www will replace the shop version in the organic ranking.

Is it in fact that simple or should there be other things I should be wary about?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cissam View Post
Currently my company has a fairly backwards site structure in which if you click on any link off our homepage you are taken from www.domain.com to shop.domain.com. Because of this practically all of our organic ranking pages are shop.domain.com/page.

Now they would like to get rid of that and go straight www.domain.com and get rid of the shop.domain.com pages. I'm thinking that it will be as simple as making all shop.domain.com pages 301 to the www.domain.com page and eventually the www will replace the shop version in the organic ranking.

Is it in fact that simple or should there be other things I should be wary about?
The first thing you should be worried about is the backlinks that site has, all will not be working because change in url actually it will be like starting new website.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samam View Post
The first thing you should be worried about is the backlinks that site has, all will not be working because change in url actually it will be like starting new website.
If they do the 301s properly the backlinks will still work. Although, contacting the places that are linking to the old version and having the url corrected would be best.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:07 AM
Banned

Yes. I was thinking of doing exactly the same.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Closed Thread