Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 10-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

Tips for Getting Your Site Listed in Dmoz

Tips for Getting Your Site Listed in Dmoz

by Akash Kumar, October 2006

Getting listed in Dmoz (http://www.dmoz.org) has always been a major concern for those webmasters who know what difference a Dmoz listing can make to their site's search engine positioning. As Dmoz is a free volunteered directory, it requires your site to be the best in your industry, if it is not then make sure to make it.

But many people are not aware of the things that are responsible for getting a listing in Dmoz, there are some dos and don'ts that make your site into Dmoz but what are they? what things you need to follow? and what things are to be avoided? following are few tips which would help you out.

1. Submit your site to a proper category.
Most of the sites submitted to Dmoz are rejected due to having submitted to improper or wrong categories, so you must find out the most relevant category for your site before submitting it to Dmoz. If you are unsure about which category you should submit to then just do a search in Dmoz for the sites similar to yours and note down the category to which they have been submitted to. If you have done this one correctly then you are having the most relevant category for your website. Now just go on and submit to the category you have got.

2. Make sure that your site has original and quality content.
People nowadays are looking for more and more quality content and they get annoyed with the sites having nothing more than a bunch of affiliate links or sales letters. If your site lacks in content then you have no chance of making into the directory as the directories nowadays are looking for the sites which have a strong base of original and quality content, if your site doesn't has sufficient content then make sure to add a few reviews, articles and other additional information about your services and products.

3. Get your web site professionally designed.
If you have done the above two steps properly then your site is already deserving a listing in Dmoz and it adds more to your credibility if your site is professionally designed. You might have seen many unprofessionally designed sites making into Dmoz, so this not really a factor for your inclusion in the directory but as we know that the editors of the Dmoz directory are also human beings so a professionally designed site does make a good impression on them and thus increases your chances for inclusion in Dmoz.

4. Be sure to put your contact information on the web site.
Now just putting an email address is not enough. If you are doing a business you need people to trust you by showing them your physical address, so that they don't think that you are a run away business. Many times the editors reject sites if they don't see any physical contact information on the site, so it is very much necessary for you to put up at least your phone number on your contacts page, also putting your physical address would be much better.

5. Check your site for broken links and spelling errors.
Before submitting your site to the Dmoz directory make sure to check your website for broken links and spelling errors, though the editors are looking for quality but they are also human beings and will be annoyed by lots of errors and clumsily designed sites, so be sure to check and correct the errors if any before you submit your site to Dmoz.

NOTE: please dont use this article any where else without my permission.

Feel free to give me greens if you liked my article.

Akash

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 05:02 AM

Great information thanks.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:13 AM

Angry

I have found the DMOZ submissions extremely biased, especially in competitive areas. Now that SEO is such an important industry, the cliquey admins there are going to make sure only their preferred sites get listed

Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Ya and getting listed in Dmoz takes a heck of time.

Akash

Old 10-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

in my opinion best of all way is to find editor and pay

Old 10-03-2006, 07:35 AM

is that achievable? I was thinking about applying to become a corrupt editor myself! ;-)

Old 10-03-2006, 11:45 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadivine.com
3. Get your web site professionally designed.
If you have done the above two steps properly then your site is already deserving a listing in Dmoz and it adds more to your credibility if your site is professionally designed. You might have seen many unprofessionally designed sites making into Dmoz, so this not really a factor for your inclusion in the directory but as we know that the editors of the Dmoz directory are also human beings so a professionally designed site does make a good impression on them and thus increases your chances for inclusion in Dmoz.
This is what one would think but I am having a heck of a time getting http://www.connectingfrisco.com within it. And if you look at the 2 in there (would be Frisco - Community - Guides), you can see that 1 of them is not exactly professional. I submitted mine almost a year ago. I'm not an arrogant person but I do believe my site is more beneficial to the community.

Anyway...thanks for the article. Very well written.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:58 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzjor
I submitted mine almost a year ago..
Was that the last time you submitted ?

Our most recent website added to the DMOZ was accepted after being submitted once a month, for about 5 months.

In other words we were accepted after 5 months of submitting once a month.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:42 PM
v7n Mentor

It was submitted again probably about 6 months ago. I've heard not to submit more than once or you go to the bottom. It is so hard to know when to resubmit.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned

The main point of a site getting listed is content and surfer usability. Editors will find your sites at their own pace and time. Submitting a site is helpful. Submit and forget that is the rule.

I used to be a Regional Editor for DMOZ. and still an Editor.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:55 PM
v7n Mentor

I've heard not to spam the DMOZ or any directory for that matter. But the frequency is a relative thing. How often is too often to submit?

IMO once a month is not spamming. Once a day or week maybe - but not once a month.

Many categories don't even have an editor so when your website comes up in the que it may be passed up and deleted from the que from editor "A" while the next editor "B" could come a long the next month and approve your website. By submitting once a month you are assured that someone will eventually see your website and hopefully approve.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:00 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantantin
Submit and forget that is the rule.
Does the DMOZ state this anywhere on the website ?

Old 10-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Does that apply to all se's? How frequent can you submit? I have only been running for about 2 months, and have submitted twice. Anyone actually know the figures - not just DMOZ, but other search engines. Are they al different - or fairly similar.

Cindy

Old 10-03-2006, 06:23 PM

There is a rule not to submit a site if it is already included in the category and if you have already submitted it but it hasn't been included.

You can have two links: one category and one regional listings. More, if your site is great, but don't ask for them, editors may place your site in other categories if they see your site fit there.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:32 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter
Does that apply to all se's? How frequent can you submit?
Don't submit your website to SE's.

Let them find your site by getting more inbound links to your website. The more often a spider crawls upon your link from someone else's website - the faster you will get indexed. Hence there is no need to submit to an SE.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mong
in my opinion best of all way is to find editor and pay
Not at all why to pay for getting listed in a free directory, I would rather pay to be listed in less popular paid directory but will never pay to get listed in Dmoz, surrendering is not the solution of you problem.

Akash

Old 10-04-2006, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadivine.com
Not at all why to pay for getting listed in a free directory, I would rather pay to be listed in less popular paid directory but will never pay to get listed in Dmoz, surrendering is not the solution of you problem.
but if you've employed all SEO techniques and you still haven't achieved the results you wanted (esp due to competitiveness of keywords and such), why not?
i would rather find an editor and pay them instead of paying to employ (spammy) blackhat SEO tactics, as a lot of people do after finding their efforts fruitless.
of course i hope i wouldn't have to resort to that, but it's an option. depends on your values, i guess.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

Well not getting listed in Dmoz doesn't means that you will have top listings and even not getting listed doesn't means that you will not get top rankings.

Akash

Old 10-04-2006, 04:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by webfu
Does the DMOZ state this anywhere on the website ?
No it is not. It states that an editor will review your submission. But why wait ? You already did everything you could. You have already submitted the site. Then forget about it. If they list it fine, congratulations, you have 1 more baclink. If not, whats the big deal, go on and move forward. There are a lot of ways to get relevant links. DMOZ used to bring weight but not anymore.
Quote:
Originally posted by vistadivine
Well not getting listed in Dmoz doesn't means that you will have top listings and even not getting listed doesn't means that you will not get top rankings.
I see you are learning. That is nice dude. That is a steep learning curve since your posts at RZ and at DP.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:23 AM
v7n Mentor

tantanin, I pretty much have lived by that. I submit and then forget and figure out other methods of getting linked. But...is there a time when maybe I should resubmit to DMOZ? My husband does our submissions and I keep telling him to wait on resubmitting. And you know how it tells you the last time it was updated, does that mean for all links submitted or just the one the editor could do at that time? TIA!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum