Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 05-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

The #1 reason why position #1 doesnít matter

This blog post should generate much feedback whether you agree with it or not. I do hope if you disagree with it you backup your answer.

Quote:
That’s right — position #1, the elusive goal for so many SEOs, may not matter so much anymore. Crazy statement, right? Trust me… follow me for just a minute.

The screen shot below shows what Google refers to as a featured snippet, also known as a direct answer. (It’s also one I searched recently when baking, realizing I forgot to buy self-rising flour and hoping I wouldn’t have to go back to the store. Anyway, moving on… )

(see blog post for image)

As you can see, the direct answer information is displaying above the initial search result. I don’t even have to click on the link to find the answer I need. I’m able to see that if I pull the baking powder and salt out of the cupboard, I can save myself a trip to the store.
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/1-reason...-matter-248390

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Administrator

That makes perfect sense if it works (I just tried it for a question and it worked).

More opportunities to be found is never a bad thing.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:37 PM

After one of my articles dropped from #1 to #2, monthly visitors dropped by 10K. So, for me #1 rank matters.

That initial box in Google is disgrace. It's automated scrapping of content from random websites and they do not check the info for correctness -- sometimes it does not make sense at all.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Seem like the article cares too much about the featured snippet - which is displayed when people asks Search Engine something. So when the featured snippet is off, the idea to focus on providing "direct answer" will not too effective. In fact, standing on top 1 with other specific keywords is better, and should be the main target.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Yup. Made a post a while back as a test, and the results are pretty remarkable - with minimal effort.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:01 AM

The moral of the story is as follows:

Also optimize your blogpost/page for LSI keywords in the form of questions. Your site could end up in the the coveted #0!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyamurali View Post
Your site could end up in the the coveted #0!
Isn't that position referred to as "SERP Hell"?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

I always try to encourage people to focus more on creating natural content as if you were having a fluent conversation with another human being at the computer vs. using search engine marketing or keyword positioning software to get better rankings. Search engines are no fool and they know who's trying to outrank competitors by using specific software. This is why getting the first position on the first page of Google or Yahoo doesn't matter because if you were creating natural and flowing content for people to read and enjoy, you'll naturally get traffic which doesn't require being on page 1 in order to benefit from steady long-term passive traffic. Are you seeing the bigger picture in this now about the importance of creating unique and engaging natural fluent content?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:58 AM

DNN, natural content can be top quality but you still need to promote it somehow to get visitors. Would you mind to share other ways except ranking in search engines?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

Have seen such results for many searches. However, We do have to optimize each and every property but its all about the best answer and feedback to google.

In-fact we were able to get few search queries to be answered directly by my own site, they were really something which is not controllable by us.

BUT i don't agree that #1 position doesn't matters. IT DOES

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum