Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 PM

How Important Are Tags for SEO?

There's a new article on Business 2 Community discussing the relevance of tags.

I know some of you might think that this just refers to Headers and Titles, but what about Blog Post Tags?

How do you feel about Blog Post Tags and Meta Tags?

Do you feel it still contributes to SEO?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Administrator

IMHO, Tag clouds are done. They are invasive and waste valuable space on the page. They also create a duplicate content problem for the newbie or those that do not know how to beat the duplicate content issue. Here is Matt Cutts explaining tag clouds for those who do not know what they are and how they can affect your SEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYPX_ZmhLqg

You will have to be more specific about which meta tags you are asking about. Are you asking about meta keyword and meta description or are you asking about OpenGraph, Twitter cards, etc. If the latter, I think they harm your SEO if you use your meta description in the meta description, OpenGraph and Twitter card content, much like when classified ads were popular and if you posted the same ad all around the web it did not help you.

BTW: the author referred to headings as header tags which is incorrect. The header element tags define the head section (top) of your page that the visitor can see.

A heading element (what the author was talking about) creates the headings in your page. e.g. h1, h2, etc through to h6 (which is the smallest).

Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

The Title Tag is the most important Meta Tag, followed by the Description Tag.

The Meta keyword tag - Matt Cutts has said before that you shouldn't waste your time with the Meta Keyword Tag as Google doesn't use it in search rankings.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Just like anything else if you overdo it, it will come back to bite you. Too much text and you lose people.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:28 AM

Tags plays a viral role for any sort of promotion activity.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarlintech View Post
Tags plays a viral role for any sort of promotion activity.
How so?

Explain why

Old 03-14-2017, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

No matter what Matt says, tag clouds still do help in your seo efforts.

Of course, like BasicTutor wrote, tags can become tricky in terms of duplicate content and that sort of things.

But if you know how to avoid duplicate content, then from my experience tags do help, and they do help a lot.

Of course this my opinion, and my experience in the specific blogs i used taging. I do not know if it will work for anyone in any site.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignia SEO View Post
There's a new article on Business 2 Community discussing the relevance of tags.

I know some of you might think that this just refers to Headers and Titles, but what about Blog Post Tags?

How do you feel about Blog Post Tags and Meta Tags?

Do you feel it still contributes to SEO?
If your meta tags or header tags are well optimized then you can get better ranking on SERP.

Place your primary keyword in your title tag & header tag (H1).
If you'll not user title tag then it would be like a person without name and how we can call a person who has no name. In same manner title tag is very important for you web page so that your page can rank on SERP on the relevant search term as per your title tag.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

They are still useful but they can create the problem by duplicate content indexed in Google search engine. You must ensure that your tags should not get the index in search engine but they are visible to website visitors.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanayaoberoi10 View Post
For many years, title tags have been considered one of the most important factors of on-page SEO. In fact, in the past, title tags were seen by many as only second to good ol’ fashioned keyword stuffing in terms of importance. But are they as important in 2016?

According to 2016 research from Backlinko.com, Google’s shift toward semantic search could affect the relative importance of the title tag. The researchers found that a keyword-optimized title tag was associated with a better ranking, but that the correlation was smaller than it once was.

Findings suggest that Google no longer requires your title tag to include an exact keyword in order to interpret a page’s subject matter. For example, if you type “how to start a business” into Google, only six out of the ten top pages include an exact match keyword in their title tag.

That said, search engines will still compare your title tag to other content on your page, to ensure keyword consistency when indexing and ranking web pages, still making them an essential part of SEO.

In other words, title tags are still an important part of on-site SEO, but they are far from the be-all and end-all.
Stop stealing content. If you steal it, link back to it.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/...16-seo/156440/

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Closed Thread