Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 04-23-2017, 03:59 AM

Question HTTP vs. HTTPS - Page Speed & SEO question

Now that Google is penalizing sites that don't serve via SSL.

But with SSL handshake taking up a few additional steps (yes, the difference might only be a few milliseconds) and slowing down sites, how does Google weigh HTTPS & HTTP/TLS vs. page speed? How do you balance the two?

Last edited by snakeair; 04-23-2017 at 05:57 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarfudd View Post
Now that Google is penalizing sites that don't serve via SSL.

But with SSL handshake taking up a few additional steps (yes, the difference might only be a few milliseconds) and slowing down sites, how does Google weigh HTTPS & HTTP/TLS vs. page speed? How do you balance the two?
Who said that google is penalizing sites that don't have SSL?? HTTPS just tell the site is safe to use, if you are having an e-commerce site then you at least update SSL certificate of cart or order pages for secure transaction. there is the main role of SSL.

Google does look for page speed especially now it is focusing on the mobile experience of a website, so, if your website is loading fast and mobile friendly then google give definitely give a benefit of this.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think Google is penalizing sites which don't have SSL because none of my website got banned by Google and 80% are of them without SSL certificate.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak Kaushik View Post
I don't think Google is penalizing sites which don't have SSL because none of my website got banned by Google and 80% are of them without SSL certificate.
When they say penalizing they don't mean using the nuclear option (meaning banning a webpage) just giving preference to the ones with SSL.
The add on in terms of speed is very little and the header in terms of traffic is also almost inexistent.

In my experience SSL is helping my webpage to rank higher.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Google is not penalizing websites without https; and if they were, does it matter? Google is not the referee of the Internet.

Your other statement is also inaccurate. Actually, secure negotiation is slightly faster than plain http serving. Don't believe me. Search and read a few studies that prove it.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedel View Post
Google is not penalizing websites without https; and if they were, does it matter? Google is not the referee of the Internet.

Your other statement is also inaccurate. Actually, secure negotiation is slightly faster than plain http serving. Don't believe me. Search and read a few studies that prove it.
Google is not the referee of the Internet but they have monopoly of the internet traffic. So they make or break entire webpages business.
For most business is the difference between success or failure.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Closed Thread