Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

You do realize it's impossible for the Government to regulate the Internet, right ? It would have been possible 30 years ago but now - no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d pillow View Post
As soon as any agency, to include (and especially) governments try to reign in Google, I'm sure the dollars will start to fly. And usually when money flies, people get bought- and the 'rules' are introduced. Those rules will be to the advantage of the ones that 'donate' the most money.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea View Post
You do realize it's impossible for the Government to regulate the Internet, right ? It would have been possible 30 years ago but now - no way!
THE government? To which government are you referring? The USA or what about a government like China or North Korea?

Last edited by d pillow; 08-01-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

You the one that mentioned Governments. I just stated it will never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d pillow View Post
THE government? To which government are you referring? The USA or what about a government like China or North Korea?

Old 08-02-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You the one that mentioned Governments. I just stated it will never happen.
Yeah, I wasn't referring to any particular one either, sounds like you were. And, as demonstrated in other countries, it's already happened. Hell, I've been to countries where they'd shut off all phone service and internet for a week during school finals.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:20 PM

There is something called common sense. If you are into SEO than you should be able to judge which advice is right.
Like if someone says linking back to only websites with high PR is better than ofcourse he is saying right, on the other hand if someone says you can link back to any Pr website then its suspicious. There are no standards.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam frodo View Post
There is something called common sense. If you are into SEO than you should be able to judge which advice is right.
Like if someone says linking back to only websites with high PR is better than ofcourse he is saying right, on the other hand if someone says you can link back to any Pr website then its suspicious. There are no standards.
Last I checked PR was discontinued for public consumption. (http://searchengineland.com/rip-goog...pective-244286)

How does one get high or low PR backlinks in that case?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM

As someone who is just getting started in SEO I would love for their to be some sort of certification or standards. I watch tons of videos and each one claims to be the "expert" on the topic. And each of these "experts" all have their own opinions that often don't match up at all.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The reality is, Google would ideally like to neuter and render impotent all SEO companies and their influence over their clients SERPS

The less effective your organic SEO work, the more likely your client will be driven to Adwords.

Of course they cant render you totally impotent, but they damn well will gradually get as close to it as possible.

Its not by accident or ommission that accepted 'standards' for SEO work has never materialised.

SEO per se cannot be divorced (ever) from Google, and because Google both zealously protects its algorithm, and persistently moves the goal posts (updates etc) it will most likely ever be thus.

Google towers over SEO and every company that purports to practice SEO.

We live off its back like ticks on an elephant's hide.

And we fear the swoosh of its trunk...

Old 09-09-2017, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The Internet is, to many people, a totally democratic and ungoverned environment.

This could of course be debated.

However, in terms of SEO (organic search) it is impossible to get away from Google's omnipotent and pervasive influence.

Luckily, Google still realizes that its power lies in its ability to render quality organic search results. If the masses were to lose faith in Google, and begin to believe it was serving only paid and manipulated search results (some would argue that is already the case! but that's for another discussion) its dominance in search may begin to wane, and who knows, a credible rival may take its place.

So, as long as Google still indexes results according to its algorithm, and not solely down to ability to pay, then SEO will survive.

But as for creating credible and widely recognized and acknowledged standards for the SEO industry, this will only happen with Googles co-operation. It cant be any other way.

Google does produce a ton of SEO recommendations and 'guidelines' already, and it could be argued, these are the 'standards'.

A different argument is to be had concerning the ethics, advertising and deliverables made by SEO companies.

For us, we simply ask any potential new SEO client to look at our body of work. This demonstrates (we hope!) the efficacy of our SEO work. To us, its the best way, the simplest and also the most honest.

No flannel, jargon.

That is the 'standard' we adhere to.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Food for thought on the lack of SEO standards:
Quote:
SEO can be particularly dangerous, as we don’t have widely accepted industry standards for competence, so basically anyone can call himself an SEO and get a client.

If they write well, they might fool someone into publishing something that is not accurate… and then it can get retweeted and so on and so on. Even some of our major industry sites have been called out for certain problematic articles they’ve published....
Fake news! How to recognize bad advice in link building and SEO
Julie Joyce
September 12, 2017

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 AM

SEO is like an unholy grail, where there is a herd mentality. Everyone listens to what is the wayforward and follow it religiously till someone somewhere shouts that we are all going in the wrong direction and the process starts again.

Are there tools one can use legitimately to register on a group of blogs or sites at a go?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyjohn View Post
Are there tools one can use legitimately to register on a group of blogs or sites at a go?
Auto-bot registration functions? I'm sure there are many versions of this type of tool creating more junk on the internet here and other sites. Or, at least bot posting for sure.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
What if someone came along and toppled Google?
That would be a dream come true.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum