Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 06-15-2017, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

Reciprocal links good or bad

I hear reciprocal links are not as bad as they are said everywhere, but they are not good for a site’s search engine either, especially when done not carefully.

Here comes, I have a mate who is having website where most of content are closely related. So can i link to that site that is closely related where he could also link back to me. >>>>One more time content is closely related<<<<

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2017, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

Yes they are good but now days this has become an old technique, people do not much follow the reciprocal link as they go for direct link and moreover they believe in detail study instead of small summaries. because each one of us think twice to buy or to take decesion

Old 06-15-2017, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know what @asswingalhotra1994 is going on about, but you should really think about why you want to consider reciprocal linking in the first place. Is it for SEO (bad idea), or is it for traffic (could be a smart idea)?

Last edited by LMD; 06-15-2017 at 04:36 AM. Reason: add

Old 06-15-2017, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

For anyone who keeps insisting on trying out reciprocal links https://www.shoutmeloud.com/why-link...gs-health.html

Old 06-15-2017, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwingalhotra1994 View Post
Yes they are good but now days this has become an old technique, people do not much follow the reciprocal link as they go for direct link and moreover they believe in detail study instead of small summaries. because each one of us think twice to buy or to take decesion
Hope you are newbie to SEO, Please don't mislead by commenting on posts on which you don't have any idea. People here seek valuable advice from experts from their experience/skills with which forums are about to meant for ..

Old 06-15-2017, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
I don't know what @asswingalhotra1994 is going on about, but you should really think about why you want to consider reciprocal linking in the first place. Is it for SEO (bad idea), or is it for traffic (could be a smart idea)?
Hello LMD, can it be bit more explanatory - like in terms of only getting traffic means, then i should ask them to put nofollow link there, as it is bad practice for SEO purpose. Am i correct in this?

Old 06-15-2017, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan kumar View Post
Hello LMD, can it be bit more explanatory - like in terms of only getting traffic means, then i should ask them to put nofollow link there, as it is bad practice for SEO purpose. Am i correct in this?
What I am inferring, is that for SEO practices, reciprocal linking has been passé and addressed by Google and other SEs a long while back. However, if you are interested in traffic, recip linking could work, however you have to put in a bit of effort with a little due diligence and discovery with respect to the source site(s) and the page(s) linking back to your site page(s).

Old 06-16-2017, 03:24 AM

Smile

Hi,

As per my knowledge & research reciprocal links are not good, one way links are good as compared to reciprocal links.
Thanks

Old 06-16-2017, 04:02 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think you should use that type of link. google will surely slap you if you use that kind of link building tactics.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

As we know, the current AI equals 3~4 aged child. Google isn't smart enough to find all the black hat tricks. However, reciprocal links are found and judged in an easy way. But I guess Google still can't give you negative review for reciprocal links if both sites have the same topic.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm826982 View Post
Hi,

As per my knowledge & research reciprocal links are not good, one way links are good as compared to reciprocal links.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishivardhan View Post
I don't think you should use that type of link. google will surely slap you if you use that kind of link building tactics.
I don't think anyone of you read what LMD wrote above !! Its a good idea if you are creating it for relevant traffic. Bad idea if you are doing it for SEO.

So, reciprocal links are not always bad. Google is smart enough to identify reciprocal link farms.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

If it's natural and relevant then it's fine as long as you don't overdo it. Let me give you an example. Let's say you conduct an interview of your customer and publish it on your blog, and send its link to the interviewee. Obviously, in your interview you will link back to your customer or the industry expert's website.

If he also publishes the link to this interview on his blog, then it's a natural reciprocal link. Many businesses post interview series & case studies of their customers. In the process, they also end up getting reciprocal links.

However, if you buy/get reciprocal links with websites that are not relevant to yours, then you should not do it.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and thoughts, however I feel to conclude this is not complex topic. Finally I should say, reciprocal links helps majorly for driving traffic by physical actions of users..

Old 06-20-2017, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

I think It would be good if you use a little and vice versa.
Google will detect and penalize all related websites If they use Reciprocal Links to increase rankings

Old 06-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSkyler View Post
I think It would be good if you use a little and vice versa.
Google will detect and penalize all related websites If they use Reciprocal Links to increase rankings
So, tell me what will happen if someone is utilizing reciprocal linking for traffic and shared products (or whatever makes sense), and it happens to give both sites a bit of a ranking boost? Do you know if Google has a crystal ball and knows the full intent of the owners links, and of their reciprocal linking relationship?

My point? Not all cases are "right or wrong" and although Google has been known to make some very blatant errors, there isn't a guarantee they'll understand the various relationships, but again, if there is due diligence and there are not hundreds of reciprocal links, I would assume they'll understand the premise behind the links. Or, at least one would hope so.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:36 AM

recip links are generally a good idea when the content/niche is similar, surfers like to click on 'similar' link topics when browsing, like with car or model niche sites.

A well placed link can help with traffic, but the quality of the traffic is something to consider. Sometimes a lot of traffic doesn't equate to click through or ad revenue. sometimes it just means a higher hosting bill or server exploit.

A recip link can be bad however if the site is flagged or untrusted by third parties and search engines alike, too many bad links back to your site can negatively affect serp scores/ranking/visibility/etc.

guess it mainly boils down to the niche and content type/quality. and how deep the links is. Some campaigns benefit from backlinks to home page url, while others benefit from deep links like blog posts.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

reciprocal links are not advisable for backlinks but if you are looking for traffic, it can be a good try

Old 06-21-2017, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

It's not good as used to be but still nice to have.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
So, tell me what will happen if someone is utilizing reciprocal linking for traffic and shared products (or whatever makes sense), and it happens to give both sites a bit of a ranking boost? Do you know if Google has a crystal ball and knows the full intent of the owners links, and of their reciprocal linking relationship?

My point? Not all cases are "right or wrong" and although Google has been known to make some very blatant errors, there isn't a guarantee they'll understand the various relationships, but again, if there is due diligence and there are not hundreds of reciprocal links, I would assume they'll understand the premise behind the links. Or, at least one would hope so.
Like i said, Google just penalizes when you use a lot of reciprocal links, no one sure that hundreds of links are not be recognized by google that you are trying to push each other rankings.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member

If you have a reciprocal link from a reputed site or relevant to your niche then ofcourse its a good link and you should go for reciprocal linking. But make sure you're not misleading the google guidelines.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum