Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Important SEO Tips from Pubcon

Many top SEOs were busy attending PubCon in Las Vegas this week. Now that Pubcon is over we should learn from their interactive sessions.

Today I received the following tips from WebProNews. These tips came from big names such as Matt Cutts from Google, Tim Mayer from Yahoo, Greg Boser from WebGuerrilla, and Danny Sullivan who were in the site reviewing panel.

* Each page of your site is an entry point, optimize (title tags,
keyphrases) for what each page targets - Greg

* Strive for quality links over quantity links - the entire panel

* If you are targeting your site geographically, get links from local
entities (Chamber of Commerce, local directories)

* NO LINK EXCHANGES (don't even bother - Matt cutts)

If any of you attended PubCon this year, please share what you learned in the conference.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:05 AM

O yeah I completely forgot about PubCon. I got some searching to do, I'll post whatever I found about what happened.

Thank you

Old 11-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlesuccess View Post
Sorry, I still don't quite buy it whenever MC goes off against link exchanges. If done right, there's no way for Google to tell you've exchanged links.

And why shouldn't I be able to exchange links with related sites anyway? That one has never made any sense to me.

Our automatic directory submitter now includes over 350 SEO-friendly directories. Submit as many sites as you wish for only $19.95/month.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:43 PM

Yes, I agree.
Link exchanges can be effective. Just look at the bottom of this page.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:56 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
* If you are targeting your site geographically, get links from local entities (Chamber of Commerce, local directories)
This is exactly what I need work on with my city guides. But for some reason I didn't think about "local" directories even though I kind of offer that myself

So thanks!

Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

All of what you have said googlesuccess and what they have stated, I would have thought to of been common sense??

Suppose it was aimed at the new type of people to SEO though, so fair enough. Is the average PubCon type of attendee a new person to SEO?

Old 11-22-2006, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Many top SEOs were busy attending PubCon in Las Vegas this week. Now that Pubcon is over we should learn from their interactive sessions.

Today I received the following tips from WebProNews. These tips came from big names such as Matt Cutts from Google, Tim Mayer from Yahoo, Greg Boser from WebGuerrilla, and Danny Sullivan who were in the site reviewing panel.

* Each page of your site is an entry point, optimize (title tags,
keyphrases) for what each page targets - Greg

* Strive for quality links over quantity links - the entire panel

* If you are targeting your site geographically, get links from local
entities (Chamber of Commerce, local directories)

If any of you attended PubCon this year, please share what you learned in the conference.
Nice post Googlesuccess. But "NO LINK EXCHANGE"?? I don't get it. Why is that? Many will tell us to link exchange just be sure that it is related to your site and it is a good site.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:17 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It's because any man and dog can exchange a darn link.
You did not earn that link on it's merit, you exchanged it with someone else who is trying to game Google to a certain extent.

Quality in a reciprocal link is generally very poor. So why should Google give you credit on an exchanged link with a fellow webmaster which mostly is for both of your own potential gains in Google?

They ain't stupid.

That's why quality one-way links, all be it natural or brought on an extended long term advertising partnership are what you generally needs these days.

Now to get these quality one-way links requires effort or some research and spend, if your buying em'.

So you will have 'earnt' something in the eye's of Google with these links compared to reciprocals any day, eventually.

Old 11-24-2006, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

There are some more tips available now in exclusive videos with SEO professionals like Matt Cutts, Rand Fishkin, Lee Odden etc. at WebProNews video blog now. The interviews give valuable insights on linking, linkbaiting and link campaigns with emphasis on natural link pattern and search media optimization. I have posted a summary of these videos at my blog.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin View Post
It's because any man and dog can exchange a darn link.
You did not earn that link on it's merit, you exchanged it with someone else who is trying to game Google to a certain extent.

Quality in a reciprocal link is generally very poor. So why should Google give you credit on an exchanged link with a fellow webmaster which mostly is for both of your own potential gains in Google?

They ain't stupid.

That's why quality one-way links, all be it natural or brought on an extended long term advertising partnership are what you generally needs these days.

Now to get these quality one-way links requires effort or some research and spend, if your buying em'.

So you will have 'earnt' something in the eye's of Google with these links compared to reciprocals any day, eventually.
Hmmm.....so if you link to someone because he has something good for your site's visitors but somehow he links back to you because YOU has something good for his site's visitors, is that wrong?

That's something like an link exchange, isn't it? Google probably won't know the difference.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidghost View Post
Hmmm.....so if you link to someone because he has something good for your site's visitors but somehow he links back to you because YOU has something good for his site's visitors, is that wrong?

That's something like an link exchange, isn't it? Google probably won't know the difference.
Exactly. That's how the web got its start, back in the days of webrings and Links pages that actually held some useful resources for visitors. You would link to sites that had related information your visitors could use and often the other sites would link back to you.

It still doesn't make sense to me that Google would try to inhibit the natural growth of the web. Not to mention, how would they differentiate between a legitimate, useful link exchange and one done for SEO purposes. I think the SEO community tends to give Google a little too much credit.

Our automatic directory submitter now includes over 350 SEO-friendly directories. Submit as many sites as you wish for only $19.95/month.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazySEO View Post
Exactly. That's how the web got its start, back in the days of webrings and Links pages that actually held some useful resources for visitors. You would link to sites that had related information your visitors could use and often the other sites would link back to you.
True, I think a better position for them to take would be to say that link exchanges have less impact rather than no impact. They should also emphasize the fact that like themed/related websites that exchange links should be more credible than those that are totally unrelated.

For example, if I really want targeted traffic it doesn't matter to me if Joe Schmo has a link page up and thinks my page is cool and adds me; for my bottom line, it would be better if the traffic coming to me was interested in what I had to offer rather than coming from a mishmash of different links on a link page.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum