Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-06-2017, 07:11 AM

Indexing and Crawling

I am starting this thread to discuss my questions regarding indexing and crawling. If any one has a question that suits this thread then please ask. I am posting the first question to this thread.

Q. The most common method that is available on internet to check whether your site is indexed or not is by typing site:<your site URL> in Google search. This is supposed to show various listings for your site if its indexed and if not then it wont show any results. For my site the results are positive.

When i try the same search term as search term as Site:<your site URL> then i do not see any results for my site. (The difference is that "s" in "site" is written in caps.

Is this an issue or does the function work only with "site" in small letters?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakash Dayani View Post
I am starting this thread to discuss my questions regarding indexing and crawling. If any one has a question that suits this thread then please ask. I am posting the first question to this thread.

Q. The most common method that is available on internet to check whether your site is indexed or not is by typing site:<your site URL> in Google search. This is supposed to show various listings for your site if its indexed and if not then it wont show any results. For my site the results are positive.

When i try the same search term as search term as Site:<your site URL> then i do not see any results for my site. (The difference is that "s" in "site" is written in caps.

I don't think that is issue. All the query working with small letter.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:44 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

Seems like it would work only with small 's' that is "site:example.com"
You can use the link to check the correct Google operators --> https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/35256?hl=en

Old 11-08-2017, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

Found out that site explorer works with 's' not 'S'.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

site:domainname, if you will search for this so it will show you only the pages of your sites that are indexed by SE.
When you type Site:domainname then it will show you all the results like where your website is listed I mean from you are get links to websites.
But when you type it with Caps "S" it is treated like nothing, it is treated as your domain name only like abc(dot)com
And, site:domainname is case sensitive that is why you do not use the caps

Old 11-11-2017, 12:00 PM

Hey Guys!
Thanks much for your responses. I am putting up another question here.

When the Google bot crawls a website and the results are available in webmaster tool. Then, you will find in the stats that a blog which has only 50 articles, Google has crawled about 130 pages. Is there an issue with the website architecture or is it that Google is considering every URL separately that renders the same content?

Example

sitename.com/sports/i-want-to-learn-this &
sitename.com/author/articles/i-want-to-learn-this

Regards

Old 11-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hey Guys!
Thanks much for your responses. I am putting up another question here.

When the Google bot crawls a website and the results are available in webmaster tool. Then, you will find in the stats that a blog which has only 50 articles, Google has crawled about 130 pages. Is there an issue with the website architecture or is it that Google is considering every URL separately that renders the same content?

Example

Regards
Yes.

You can over come this by putting the full article under sports and an excerpt under author/articles. Then the problem becomes same excerpt on the home page and the author/articles at the moment it is the latest post.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

No its not an issue.. you can type in any format either its capital or small... If you use this code "site:example.com" you'll get the list of the url of your website indexed in google... But if you use :site: example.com" you'll get the links which are related to your domain.. either they are your webpage or the webpage where you have added your domain..

Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 AM

HI,
Thanks for taking out time to explain this. However, it does not answer my question. May be i am dumber than you think.

I wanted to know if a same content is accessible via 2 different URL's

Is that an issue or not, as long as I have canonical URL on one of them

Old 11-14-2017, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
HI,
Thanks for taking out time to explain this. However, it does not answer my question. May be i am dumber than you think.

I wanted to know if a same content is accessible via 2 different URL's

Is that an issue or not, as long as I have canonical URL on one of them
If the content is same but url's are different, it could be a big trouble for the ranking of that page but if you have added canonical tag then it would not be an issue...

Old 11-14-2017, 06:57 AM

Thanks Veeraj,

My site is on wordpress and I checked just now that in case of the example i have given above.

sitename.com/author/articles/i-want-to-learn-this\

When i type the 2nd URL directly in the browser it automatically lands me to the 1st URL and i am guessing that it is fine as well.

Regards
Prakash

Old 01-03-2018, 02:10 AM

Crawling is When Google visits your website for tracking purposes. This process is done by Google’s Spider crawler.
Indexing is After crawling has been done, the process of adding webpages into Google search.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Closed Thread