Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 12-22-2017, 11:47 PM
Contributing Member

m(dot)Site vs. Responsive Web Design

A web page should display properly on mobile as well as desktop PCs. Most of our sites use m(dot) sub-domain to display mobile web pages along with "canonical" meta tag. (The "canonical" meta tag is to tell search engines that its' a duplicate page). It's faster and no separate training is required for web designer. What's your preferred method of web page design (in practice)? Using responsive web design or a separate m(dot) site to render web pages on mobile devices?

Last edited by anandsoft; 12-22-2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: clarity

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2017, 12:22 AM
Contributing Member

This has nothing to do with SEO....

Anyways - bootstrap exist for a reason... no sub-domain needed!

Old 12-23-2017, 12:30 AM
Contributing Member

The best way to do so is you can make the website fully responsive.. creating a sub domain was an old school... now a days most of the website use fully responsive website rather than sub-domain..

Old 12-23-2017, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

Interested in knowing what the webmasters are doing on their existing websites. I agree that responsive web design is the IN thing. But there are millions of websites already developed using yesterday's technology and it's very expensive to re-design the whole thing, and it probably costs much less if one goes with a m(dot) sub-domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea View Post
This has nothing to do with SEO....

Anyways - bootstrap exist for a reason... no sub-domain needed!
... I think, it has some thing to do with SEO also, as to how a search engine like google or bing looks at an m(dot) site vis-a-vis a site using responsive web design.

Last edited by anandsoft; 12-23-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:05 AM
Contributing Member

It's called cost of business... We are required to stay up with technology...

With that said not all websites require to be mobile - some sites are designed for desktop/laptop only for good reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandsoft View Post
Interested in knowing what the webmasters are doing on their existing websites. I agree that responsive web design is the IN thing. But there are millions of websites already developed using yesterday's technology and it's very expensive to re-design the whole thing, and it probably costs much less if one goes with a m(dot) sub-domain.

... I think, it has some thing to do with SEO also, as to how a search engine like google or bing looks at an m(dot) site vis-a-vis a site using responsive web design.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

However, I have observed that many sites have a different folder for mobile content. For example nytimes.com takes you to mobile.nytimes.com. Cisco.com takes you to cisco.com/c/ on mobile. Can some one give examples of sites that render same URL on both mobile and desktop?

Old 12-24-2017, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

There are many websites that render on mobile + desktop... Creating sub-folders/sub-domains is just an extra overhead cost for the business.

With that said you do realize the majority of people are still using desktop/laptop to access the internet, right?

Quote:
However, I have observed that many sites have a different folder for mobile content. For example nytimes.com takes you to mobile.nytimes.com. Cisco.com takes you to cisco.com/c/ on mobile. Can some one give examples of sites that render same URL on both mobile and desktop?

Old 12-29-2017, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
There are many websites that render on mobile + desktop... Creating sub-folders/sub-domains is just an extra overhead cost for the business.

With that said you do realize the majority of people are still using desktop/laptop to access the internet, right?
Yes, but the people using the mobile devices is going up fast, and it also depends on the category. Some categories have high number of mobile visitors.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member

And many will never switch over to mobile... Many many issues with it. Small screens, limited abilities, js does not always play nice with mobile, this list goes on and on....

Quote:
Yes, but the people using the mobile devices is going up fast, and it also depends on the category. Some categories have high number of mobile visitors.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
...it also depends on the category. Some categories have high number of mobile visitors.
As with everything about having a website or blog it's all about knowing your target audience and their expectations.
Quote:
And many will never switch over to mobile... Many many issues with it. Small screens, limited abilities, js does not always play nice with mobile, this list goes on and on....
And... not serving the same content as desktop... e.g. Twitter. We have some storms around right now. A family member was late getting home. I go onto Twitter via my tablet and there is no way to get to the latest tweets for a hashtag without logging in. I had to go to the desktop to find out why they were late.

Twitter also sends you to their useless (IMHO) version if you have NoScript installed in your browser and want to login.

So yes, accommodate those who choose to use mobile devices but also know what their expectations are when using their mobile device.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:27 AM

If you can - always go for the responsive design over separate urls. That's what google suggests as well

Old 01-08-2018, 12:35 AM
Contributing Member

It may be good idea to go for responsive design when using dynamic pages, and either responsive or m(dot) site for static content (non-dynamic) pages?

Old 01-08-2018, 12:37 AM
Contributing Member

Ummm no! Just make your site responsive period!

Why are you making things far more difficult than what they need to be?

Quote:
It may be good idea to go for responsive design when using dynamic pages, and either responsive or m(dot) site for static content (non-dynamic) pages?

Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 AM

Mobile first design is a must.

Firstly, it's easier. The single css covers all monitor sizes, but only loads a small amount of the css on a mobile, but all of it for a wide screen.

Secondly, the last research I read, month or so ago, indicated mobile access of websites was now over 70% of all website access.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:55 AM

I will also suggest to go for Responsive website because that will decrease efforts you put on mobile version. Google released Mobile first index so you shouldn't ignore power of responsive website. If your visitors land on 1 page instead of mobile versions then metrics of that page will be even better and you may get better rankings.

All backlinks will point to same URL so that will also help in rankings.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:26 AM
Contributing Member

Any one can suggest example scripts (or templates) for responsive web design of web pages? Particularly for php pages that dynamically fetch pages from backend database.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Bootstrap has all the info you need - https://getbootstrap.com/

Old 03-10-2018, 05:42 AM

Smile

Quote:
A web page should display properly on mobile as well as desktop PCs. Most of our sites use m(dot) sub-domain to display mobile web pages along with "canonical" meta tag. (The "canonical" meta tag is to tell search engines that its' a duplicate page). It's faster and no separate training is required for web designer. What's your preferred method of web page design (in practice)? Using responsive web design or a separate m(dot) site to render web pages on mobile devices?
Creating a separate site for mobile users like m.yoursite.com is the oldest technique. This method is replaced with the introduction of responsive layout designs.

I always prefer and love to use Bootstrap themes, because easy to maintain and good for SEO too.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 AM
Contributing Member

This is really very interesting topic to discuss.

I personally created few m(dot) sites for company and clients business but by the changing of technology and internet. We also also changed like that. Now, I am working with only Fully Responsive Site for all of our properties which is easy to manage and cost effective also.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourabh Rana View Post
This is really very interesting topic to discuss.

I personally created few m(dot) sites for company and clients business but by the changing of technology and internet. We also also changed like that. Now, I am working with only Fully Responsive Site for all of our properties which is easy to manage and cost effective also.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum