Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-02-2018, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Do you have nofollow links on your site?

Nofollow links are generally considered to be useless and no good source to drive traffic but this article : No-Follow Links are actually Good will drain your confusions out.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

A link is a link period! Only a moron would say nofollow links are worthless...

I have no attributes on any of my links on my sites because I don't sell advertising.

The attribute nofollow was created to mark paid ads - over the years MANY have twisted what it was meant for and what it means.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:20 PM

An Answer

All links are not created equal. There is a clear difference in value between dofollow and no follow. My advice is to create as many high auth do follows and then build a substantive nofollow link strategy. No follows bring in traffic, and indicate relevance.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:15 PM
Contributing Member

No such thing as dofollow... It does not exist!

Prove me wrong - go ahead. Please supply an AUTHORITY LINK to your proof. Unless you work for Google you can't make such statements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goapocalypse View Post
All links are not created equal. There is a clear difference in value between dofollow and no follow. My advice is to create as many high auth do follows and then build a substantive nofollow link strategy. No follows bring in traffic, and indicate relevance.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 PM

Both Nofollow and Dofollow links are important for rank in search engine. Actually nofollow links helps to recognize the traffic which came through direct and show the relevant customers who are visiting the website.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evejones View Post
Nofollow links are generally considered to be useless and no good source to drive traffic.
They can be very good for driving traffic depending on the domain you are traffic leaking. Most blog comment will make your links no follow but if you comment on a high trafficed block with a link to whatever you are trying to promote you can get traffic through it.

In my experience though, for Google SEO they are worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea View Post
A link is a link period! Only a moron would say nofollow links are worthless...
Just out of curiosity, have you ever did any tests to test your theory on this?

In the past, I have ran a number of tests to try workout if there is any point in getting no follow links for Google SEO. The easiest one to explain is a page I had a bunch of wikipedia links pointed to. With it being wikipedia, all the links were no follow and nothing happened to the page where as other pages on the same domain created within weeks of the wikipedia one were climbing using low quality links via automation.

After about five month I started to build low quality do follow automation links to the page on my site where the wikipedia links were pointed and it began to climb through the SERPs. The wikipedia links were still alive at this point but seemed to have no effect.

Although it's a few years old, Matt Cutts confirms in this video that no follow links are dropped from the domains link graph when crawled.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Dude I am the king of testing... I test everything! I follow NOBODY! I follow none of those so called SEO sites, I follow none of those so called GURUS, I subscribe to nobody's list...

I test everything for myself! When I teach my clients and customers how to do stuff I also teach them to test everything I teach them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun-m View Post
They can be very good for driving traffic depending on the domain you are traffic leaking. Most blog comment will make your links no follow but if you comment on a high trafficed block with a link to whatever you are trying to promote you can get traffic through it.

In my experience though, for Google SEO they are worthless.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever did any tests to test your theory on this?

In the past, I have ran a number of tests to try workout if there is any point in getting no follow links for Google SEO. The easiest one to explain is a page I had a bunch of wikipedia links pointed to. With it being wikipedia, all the links were no follow and nothing happened to the page where as other pages on the same domain created within weeks of the wikipedia one were climbing using low quality links via automation.

After about five month I started to build low quality do follow automation links to the page on my site where the wikipedia links were pointed and it began to climb through the SERPs. The wikipedia links were still alive at this point but seemed to have no effect.

Although it's a few years old, Matt Cutts confirms in this video that no follow links are dropped from the domains link graph when crawled.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:08 PM

I could be wrong, but aren't pinterest's links = nofollow?

But yet, they sure seem to share some great juice!

Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

Many sites have the attribute nofollow because they know moron spammers THINK a dofollow attribute exist and they want to spam every so called dofollow site. So to deter moron spammers they set their links to nofollow, which means less spammers now.

All links pass link juice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn View Post
I could be wrong, but aren't pinterest's links = nofollow?

But yet, they sure seem to share some great juice!

Old 01-04-2018, 01:10 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Many sites have the attribute nofollow because they know moron spammers THINK a dofollow attribute exist and they want to spam every so called dofollow site. So to deter moron spammers they set their links to nofollow, which means less spammers now.

All links pass link juice!
I don't understand maybe a link has no-follow attribute in it. But people think they are useless?

They can drive pretty decent amount of referral targeted traffic.

Forum Management & Promotion, SEO Tips, Money Making tips etc.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:40 AM

no follow links are drive more traffic

Old 01-04-2018, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by manju23 View Post
no follow links are drive more traffic
It looks like you are just increasing your post count.

Forum Management & Promotion, SEO Tips, Money Making tips etc.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Dude I am the king of testing... I test everything! I follow NOBODY! I follow none of those so called SEO sites, I follow none of those so called GURUS, I subscribe to nobody's list...

I test everything for myself! When I teach my clients and customers how to do stuff I also teach them to test everything I teach them.
Yet you give no examples of anything that would suggest to you that no follow links offer any value at all in Google SEO....

Old 01-04-2018, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

By the way, you are saying that Nofollow are useless, but you are wrong. They are still helpful because they help you to generate referral traffics. But Google doesn't add any value to this type of traffic.

Almost every social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit give you no follow links. They never embed a follow tag with any of your links.

YouTube SEO

Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 AM

This ENTIRE thread is based on a very flawed principle. The idea that a no follow link is worth less than a follow link. Completely wrong. Everyone here treats the no-follow link as "it is STILL better than no link at all".

No no no NO!!

Google REQUIRES no follow links. So in fact it is needed to have no follow link. There is a rough ratio of do follow and no follow links you should have.

If you only have DO follow links google will redflag you as manually trying to cheat the system.

The whole idea of backlinks is that it simulates a vouch or vote from other sites that your site is good, i.e. has useful content. As such, google wants back links to occur naturally. Having said this, it would be not possible to only get follow links if your backlinks were obtained naturally (having great content and exposing it to the world). You are bound to get follow and no follow links. Without no follow links your site looks spammy to google.
And this is a fact!

Thus please STOP with the "no follow links can still be useful" nonsense. You are giving very wrong info to others! Not only are they useful, they are REQUIRED!

Old 01-04-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuyHousesInCT View Post
Google REQUIRES no follow links.

If you only have DO follow links google will redflag you as manually trying to cheat the system.
Could you link me to your source for those two comments please? I have never seen anything from google where they say that they require no follow links.

With your second point, say you have a website and it gets a link, that link it do follow and the only link it has. By your logic, it has now been red flagged? Say it gets 10 links, again, by chance, all are do follow. Its still been red flagged?

Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Thus please STOP with the "no follow links can still be useful" nonsense.
It's not nonsense. A natural link profile will include both types of links. And, links with the nofollow attribute can be very useful.

Quote:
You are giving very wrong info to others! Not only are they useful, they are REQUIRED!
False. Nothing regarding links or SEO is "required". People can do whatever they wish - good SEO, bad SEO, or no SEO. Perhaps you used the wrong word.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Dofollow links are more useful than nofollow link.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

And I won't give any examples. I made a post on here a few years back detailing everything - go search my post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun-m View Post
Yet you give no examples of anything that would suggest to you that no follow links offer any value at all in Google SEO....

Old 01-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Bullchit!!!! Prove It!!!

I build no backlinks - visitors build hem for me. I have one website that has well over 29k NATURAL LINKS and frankly I don't care if they are nofollow or not. A LINK IS A LINK PERIOD!

Google requires no such bullchit - please link to the source...

Quote:
This ENTIRE thread is based on a very flawed principle. The idea that a no follow link is worth less than a follow link. Completely wrong. Everyone here treats the no-follow link as "it is STILL better than no link at all".

No no no NO!!

Google REQUIRES no follow links. So in fact it is needed to have no follow link. There is a rough ratio of do follow and no follow links you should have.

The whole idea of backlinks is that it simulates a vouch or vote from other sites that your site is good, i.e. has useful content. As such, google wants back links to occur naturally. Having said this, it would be not possible to only get follow links if your backlinks were obtained naturally (having great content and exposing it to the world). You are bound to get follow and no follow links. Without no follow links your site looks spammy to google.
And this is a fact!

Thus please STOP with the "no follow links can still be useful" nonsense. You are giving very wrong info to others! Not only are they useful, they are REQUIRED!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum