Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 01-16-2018, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Outbound Links or External Links

Hi
I have heard that adding relevant external or outbound links also help in increasing the rankings of the page.

I just want to know, should we add them as dofollow or nofollow.

What will be the difference?

Waiting for expert advice.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raees1994 View Post
Hi
I have heard that adding relevant external or outbound links also help in increasing the rankings of the page.
Where have you heard this? Is it a reputable source such as Google's guidelines?

Quote:

Firstly, have you searched this out in any way before posting your question here? We all want to help each other, but please - you should really do some due diligence on your own, instead of asking to be spoon-fed answers.

That said, I'll still try to help you.

Firstly, there is no such thing as a "dofollow" link. Any link without the "nofollow" attribute will pass page rank. Any links with the "nofollow" attribute, will not.

There are a log of threads on this exact topic of links with, and without the "nofollow" attribute here on the forum - you just have to use the search function.

But - I said I'd help you, so here it is: What is the difference between dofollow and nofollow links?

Last edited by LMD; 01-16-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

What you want to do with your outbound links is completely your matter. You can make them no-follow or not.

But if you put a link which is not no-follow linking to page which is irrelevant and also you do this quite often then surely you will get hit by a manual action penalty for spamming or selling links.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

No such thing as do follow links, never have been and never will be - When will you people learn this... OMG!!!

Someone forgot to tell you that you must link to a "REPUTABLE SOURCE" and not just link to something relevant.

Quote:
Hi

Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

if you are giving a link to another site which is relevant to your niche then no need to make the link nofollow.. You can share a dofollow link with that site, but if the site is not relevant to niche then it could be big issue for your website and your site could get penalized by google algorithms..

Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, you will adding relevant external links in your content if you want. But you should add them as nofollow.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member

You can add nofollow tag if you don't want to pass the link juice to that site from your site. But make sure the website must be relevant to your niche.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infosteve View Post
if you are giving a link to another site which is relevant to your niche then no need to make the link nofollow.. You can share a dofollow link with that site, but if the site is not relevant to niche then it could be big issue for your website and your site could get penalized by google algorithms..
Simply put - if someone is links out to a non-relevant site with the hope of better SEO - they're wasting their time. If it's a paid outbound link - it should be nofollowed - period.

And with that said....the junk posts begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishekdam View Post
Yes, you will adding relevant external links in your content if you want. But you should add them as nofollow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraajverma View Post
You can add nofollow tag if you don't want to pass the link juice to that site from your site. But make sure the website must be relevant to your niche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manju23 View Post
outbound link and external links for same but words are different

Old 01-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

That is not true... Let's see how relevant is Wikipedia ?? I have 15 year old sites that link to it and I have top rankings (have held 1st for 10 years or more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by infosteve View Post

Old 02-01-2018, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Hi

If the link is redirecting to a relevant niche or having good reputation then ofcourse you can add that link as dofollow.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hi

Why would you want to apply the nofollow attribute to your outbound links? If you don't trust them why are you linking to them in the first place?

Old 02-06-2018, 01:44 AM

It simply does look more natural to have outbound links. I would put them on nofollow as you probably do not want to give them any linkjuice e.g. if you might even link to a possible competitor. Most important is that you do not switch within your blog, so if you have outbound links in one article with follow it also needs to be this way in the other articles and not nofollow.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

All links pass link juice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by annb View Post
It simply does look more natural to have outbound links. I would put them on nofollow as you probably do not want to give them any linkjuice e.g. if you might even link to a possible competitor. Most important is that you do not switch within your blog, so if you have outbound links in one article with follow it also needs to be this way in the other articles and not nofollow.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:52 AM

Nofollow links do not really pass link juice (just a tiny bit) that's also why follow links are more valuable. (but you still need a good balance of follow and nofollow links in order for your backlinks to look natural)

Old 02-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
It simply does look more natural to have outbound links.
If you don't need, or have to link out to anything, why do it just to "look more natural"? More natural to who, Google? Google could care less if you linked out or not. Unless, that is, you can show some data that supports linking out gives better ranking.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
If you don't need, or have to link out to anything, why do it just to "look more natural"? More natural to who, Google? Google could care less if you linked out or not. Unless, that is, you can show some data that supports linking out gives better ranking.

Well, here you go

1) it is beneficial to your website to link out to others: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/...on-seo/157431/

2) "While it certainly pays to consider the links you've earned, looking at the links you send can be an equally usable and useful signal of quality - low quality sites tend to link to a far greater share of junk, while great sites typically link to other great sites. These webs of trust & value can be algorithmically mined by engines to produce better search results. Take advantage by linking to resources your users (and the engines) will love." https://moz.com/blog/5-reasons-you-s...m-your-website

Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Here ya go:

Quote:
If I link to a great site for finding local classes & teachers or this one for automotive advice or this resource for all things TV and they get even a smattering of visits, it's very likely that the website tracking folks will notice the link, visit SEOmoz and investigate.
Not a ranking variable to the source page.

Moz

Quote:
As such, it makes great sense to leverage the power of the web - the power of links - to create an easy, scalable path to making your site's experience better and more rewarding for those who visit

Moz

Quote:
Search Engines Likely Reward the Behavior Algorithmically
Likely, maybe, could be, who knows.

Moz

Quote:
When you link out, it creates a signal to other websites and content creators that you're a willing participant in the web's natural linking environment and not a closed-off community or purely self-referential, pompous know-it-all.

To the other source (C. Sheppard) that's about 7 years old...

Quote:
So, if I write an article on, actual example, SEO copywriting, and I link out to Copy Blogger because they are a great resource, Copy Blogger actually saw that I linked to them. They not only tweeted about my article, but they linked back to me in their weekly roundup.
Correlation of improved SEO based on maybe getting backlinks, not the actual linking out.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:47 AM

Likely, maybe, could be, who knows. --> likely it most certainly won't hurt your SEO but it might benefit. So whats the harm.

The source from searchenginejournal is from 2016 and the last quote: So, if I write an article on, actual example, SEO copywriting, and I link out to Copy Blogger because they are a great resource, Copy Blogger actually saw that I linked to them. They not only tweeted about my article, but they linked back to me in their weekly roundup.

where did you get that one from - it is not mentioned in any of these 2 articles.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Likely, maybe, could be, who knows. --> likely it most certainly won't hurt your SEO but it might benefit. So whats the harm.
I can't disagree with your statement above. In fact, that's a much better point than the original.

Quote:
The source from searchenginejournal is from 2016
where did you get that one from - it is not mentioned in any of these 2 articles.
Follow the links in your earlier post to the SEJ. The article you referred to linked out to the article I quoted.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Incorrect! All links pass link juice but how much NOBODY KNOWS except the search engines - Fact! This can't be tested because we don't have access to raw data. We do know a website will rank regardless of what links it has.

Natural links (and trust me Google knows) are links NOT BUILT BY YOU! These are links built by people that share your content. You can't control where they post it or who they share it with. Google factors in social validation when determining "Natural Links".

Quote:
Nofollow links do not really pass link juice (just a tiny bit) that's also why follow links are more valuable. (but you still need a good balance of follow and nofollow links in order for your backlinks to look natural)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum