Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 12-01-2006, 08:25 AM

Dynamic URLs

I have a pretty good idea what a dynamic URL is but I just want to make sure, so if someone could please explain that to me I would appreciate it.

Also, if I do have dynamic URLs what is the best way to work around it for SEO or do I need to reformat my web site?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Dynamic URL's contain a query string identified by "?".

I work exclusively in building dynamic site these "?" are fine for SEO and do not require url rewrite as long as you don't keep session data in the URL.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

If you search Holiday Inn JFK in google, you will get a lot dynamic urls, and most of them rank well in SERPs.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 PM

I think nowadays it should be okay to have dynamic urls. Search engines should index them just fine without much problems.

But if you find that your site is being indexed slowly, you should use clean static urls.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Contributing Member

Location: On the river, near the ocean at the bottom of the mountain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan007 View Post
I work exclusively in building dynamic site these "?" are fine for SEO and do not require url rewrite as long as you don't keep session data in the URL.
Using apache to rewrite a url isn't necessary anymore ?

Last edited by Sideways; 12-01-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Using apache to rewrite a url isn't necessary anymore ?
exactly, its completely pointless

Old 12-02-2006, 12:51 AM

Database generated pages are dynamic pages. Say for example you are having a site which describes about few popular products, you do provide online purchasing options for your visitors as well as visitors can opt for their preferred location to get the product in their hand and to reduce their shipment cost. To provide these facilities you must be having range of different products with different options like colors, sizes etc. List of preferred locations. Now for each product with each different combination it is not possible to create different pages. It is time consuming. In this case we will like to provide selection options for visitors, which will provide desired result from database. This is called query-generated pages or dynamically generated pages.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:32 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjashoes View Post
exactly, its completely pointless
In my humble opinion, the answer is not quite that simple. There are times when mod_rewrites are in the best interest of the site.

Here is Matt's video concerning this. Note his comments on how a dynamic url which uses long numbers could cause some confusion for the bots "thinking" they are session id's.

Quote:
You definitely CAN use too many parameters, so I would opt for 2 or 3 at the most, if you have any choice whatsoever. Try to avoid long numbers, because we can think that those are session ID's. Any extra parameters that you can get rid of are always a good idea and remember that Google is not the only Search Engine out there, so if you have the ability, to basically say I'm going to use a little bit of mod_rewrite and make it look like a static URL, that can often be a very good way to tackle the problem. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...20126300142609

Last edited by Cricket; 12-02-2006 at 01:35 AM.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Note his comments on how a dynamic url which uses long numbers could cause some confusion for the bots "thinking" they are session id's.
Why should anyone be using long numbers unless they are keeping session data in the URL? All due respect to Matt’s he is not always right, often back tracking on mistakes nor is he programmer and any good programmer who knows a little SEO will understand this.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

By default, most of the dymanic URLs will have duplicate page titles, descriptions and hence they will show up in the Google supplemental results even if Google indexes them. And pages in Google supplemental index can not rank higher for competitive keywords. So it makes sense to use url rewriting not only to change the urls to friendly html links but also to dynamically change their page title and description tags.

Last edited by digital_success; 12-02-2006 at 05:19 AM.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlesuccess View Post
By default, most of the dynamic URLs will have duplicate page titles, descriptions and hence will show up in the Google supplemental results even if Google indexes them. And pages in Google supplemental index can not rank higher for competitive keywords. So it makes sense to use url rewriting not only to change the urls to friendly html links but also to dynamically change their page title and description tags.
Any repetition of <title> or <H1> content will put things into supplemental results but blaming dynamic sites is complete and utter rubbish! The reason being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlesuccess View Post
By default,
In programming there are no defaults other than the ones you choose to be static. The page title or product name can be stored in a variable from the db and other variable you can edit. The variable can be inserted inside the <TITLE> and even the alt attribute of the images etc...

I could go on but I really have to get out more...

Additionally:
Being put in the supplemental Index due to repetition of <title> or <H1> will not mean the page will not rank.

Last edited by Johan007; 12-02-2006 at 05:30 AM.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:

In programming there are no defaults other than the ones you choose to be static. The page title or product name can be stored in a variable from the db and other variable you can edit. The variable can be inserted inside the <TITLE> and even the alt attribute of the images etc...

You are right. I was just limiting myself to off the shelf solutions which are normally used by non programmers to create dynamic sites for ecommerce, dating, classifieds etc.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Banned

I wanted to learn how can we re-write URL's through htaccess.
http://www.xyz.com/index.php?cPath=2
http://www.xyz.com/index.php?cPath=2_3

I tried to find a lot of Internet but those are not professional notes and not easy to understand, i found some tools rewrite.

Looking forward.

Any help will be appreciable.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

All pages on my site are dynamic asp urls with modifications.

The programmer of my template is pretty good, that allowed me to re-write the urls like I wanted.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Search engines can generally read dynamic URLs fine, but they still recommend keeping the number of paramaters to a minimum and also not using anything with an ID in it since they might consider it to be a session id of some sort.

There's a better reason though for rewriting URLs. It's a lot friendlier to the visitors of your site than all those parameters. Also if you rewrite the URL to include some keywords when someone use the URL as anchor text in a link to the page those keywords will be in the anchor text.

It's certainly not necessary since in general dynamic URLs probably aren't the problem for spiders they once were, but if it means anything on another forum where I'm a member someone using dynamic URLs seems to have many pages of his very large site indexed in Google and Yahoo, but hardly any pages in MSN. The URLs are dynamic and do contain up to 4 paramaters including one with an ID in the name.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Additionally:
Being put in the supplemental Index due to repetition of <title> or <H1> will not mean the page will not rank.
Really? That's good news.
But very often I search for some words, Supplemental Pages doesn't show. Even on my site.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:49 AM
Contributing Member

I dont really see how you could have a dynamic url look like a session id or be anywhere near as long. I guess though that it could hold true.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

You probably won't have a dynamic URL that gets as long as a session ID, but search engines claim they may ignore the URL if it contains a parameter of id.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum