Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-08-2018, 04:09 AM
Banned

Meta Description still a ranking factor in 2018 ?

Is meta description still a factor of ranking (in SEO) or is just to increase CTR ? ... It's limit is increased from 160 to 300 characters.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2018, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden657 View Post
Yes .. I think meta description is still a big factor that crawlers see for ranking of websites. A good meta can also increase your CTR rate.
No one outside of Google knows how strong or feeble a ranking signal is. We can logically guess what might be/could be strong signals, like backlinks, page loading speed, content make-up etc. But exactly how strong one signal is, can't be confirmed by us mere mortals.

Meta tags are important as far as Google's first understanding a site's content to go towards indexing. So, a meta description being a "big factor...for ranking", well, I'd like to see the reputable source that confirms how strong it actually is.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
No one outside of Google knows how strong or feeble a ranking signal is.
Totally true - noone knows how important meta tags are but Google does provide some clues periodically.

They just expanded the length allowed in the meta description tag from 160 allowable characters to 320, for example. I don't think they would do that if they aren't going to use it in some capacity. They previously said they pull content from the page but having a meta description tag in there provides them a fallback in case their systems can't figure it out on their own.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppres74 View Post
Totally true - noone knows how important meta tags are but Google does provide some clues periodically.

They just expanded the length allowed in the meta description tag from 160 allowable characters to 320, for example. I don't think they would do that if they aren't going to use it in some capacity. They previously said they pull content from the page but having a meta description tag in there provides them a fallback in case their systems can't figure it out on their own.
Right - Google is adjusting how it uses various things like the meta description, however, the OP is asking if it's a ranking factor or CTR. I'd have to say logically, it would have more effect on CTR. If we can see verbiage used in SERPs, site owners can tailor and tweak it as a "call to action" enticement.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:16 PM

I should have been more clear! I think OP is definitely asking a good and important question, just not the right one. The "right" question in this case is whether time and resources should be spent developing meta descriptions.

Noone but Google knows whether they use the meta description in ranking, but as I alluded to, if they are willing to continue support of it (and further, expand how many characters they allow) that provides strong evidence that it is important - important to what I have no idea though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
If we can see verbiage used in SERPs, site owners can tailor and tweak it as a "call to action" enticement.
Google isn't going to say if it's a factor or not for exactly this reason - it can then be manipulated by SEOs (which is what they've spent years trying to get away from). Google often uses a snippet of the page content as the description on the SERP when it believes it will be relevant to the user's query - but there are instances when it is unable to do so. In those instances, it is to their benefit to have a fallback option and SEOs can take advantage of this.

Ultimately, to me this is just a case of optimizing for the search engine and not the user.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I should have been more clear! I think OP is definitely asking a good and important question, just not the right one. The "right" question in this case is whether time and resources should be spent developing meta descriptions.
I think it is worth the time because it is a probable visible element in terms of what G displays in the SERPs. If the verbiage is enticing, users may click on the link.

Quote:
Google often uses a snippet of the page content as the description on the SERP when it believes it will be relevant to the user's query - but there are instances when it is unable to do so.
Correct - you can tell Google what you'd like to have displayed in the SERPs, but there's no guarantee what you place in the meta tag will appear.

Quote:
In those instances, it is to their benefit to have a fallback option and SEOs can take advantage of this.
What type of "fallback" are you inferring?

Quote:
Ultimately, to me this is just a case of optimizing for the search engine and not the user.
While I disagree, I've not research any viable data on this and so I cannot provide percentages of installed descriptions that are used in the SERPs by Google, vs those that are not, I feel it's best to try to have something viable in the tags just in case. Ultimately if G draws on other site content for the description, well, those that depend on G and the SERPs for their livelyhood, are doing so at G's mercy, and have been for the last decade or so.

For me, I really could care less what they display. I don't depend on G for business - never have, and never will.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD
What type of "fallback" are you inferring?
I believe Google's default is to return whatever it finds on the page that it determines is most relevant to a users query. When it can't do that, it uses a "fallback" or second best option which could very well be the meta description if it is present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD
I feel it's best to try to have something viable in the tags just in case.
Totally agree - I don't create pages without meta descriptions and neither should OP!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:06 PM

No it's not. It doesn't matter if you have one, but great and short meta description may increase your SERP CTR. Which means higher ranking.

So it doesn't effect ranking in a direct way.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

After reading many posts or referrals I understand that not matters CTR is a ranking factor or not but you still need to work for improving this and it would be optimized by different attributes including meta descriptions, alt, content etc....

Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

And your belief would be correct

I really don't get why people even ask these questions. Meta data is used by more than just search engines so why not take the 2 minutes to add the stuff. It hurts nothing by adding it.

Quote:
I believe Google's default is to return whatever it finds on the page that it determines is most relevant to a users query. When it can't do that, it uses a "fallback" or second best option which could very well be the meta description if it is present.

Totally agree - I don't create pages without meta descriptions and neither should OP!

Old 02-13-2018, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

You should still use meta tags. Even if google lists content instead of the meta tags you still might show up for something listed in meta tags. Try searching your site with meta tags in google and other terms. Some times google uses content on search results sometimes they use meta tags.

Just make sure your site has the the meta tags in your content so either way the terms or phrase you use could show up.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

We know that our pages will naturally visible on organic searches terms and we don't have any predefined mechanism for creating meta description that will be relevant for all the search queries so we should all Google and other search engines to create description from our content, so there is a much higher chance for better snippet of our site in organic listing

Old 02-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Ok someone has a broken auto poster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton32 View Post
Whatever your goals are in getting Instagram Followers we no longer have to look to the Kardashians or to public figures on Instagram. Marketing platforms in social media ... BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea View Post
Ok someone has a broken auto poster...
Not any more.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Ha Ha!!!

Maybe they should start using Meta Descriptions in their website pages instead of trying to spam forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
Not any more.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ord Allenbea View Post
Ha Ha!!!

Maybe they should start using Meta Descriptions in their website pages instead of trying to spam forums.
Since nobody else can see what we're talking about, I'll remove these posts about the one that I deleted.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 PM

yes, the meta description is still an important factor for SEO. The characters increased to 320.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:37 AM
Banned

ON Twitter, Danny Sullivan said that he would probably not make that greater than 320 characters.
They’ve updated that to where they say there’s no official meta description recommended length.
Best thing to do is updating the description with 260 – 300 characters.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, the meta description is important for SEO as well as CTR point of view. Meta description is a ranking factor. CTR directly proportional to Ranking. If a search result has higher CTR than the one which ranks above it. Then that search result can outrank the above one. So, having a good meta description is ultimately important. Even I do read meta description before clicking on the result. Many more users like me read the description.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:20 PM

Meta descriptions are supposed not a ranking factor for search engines, but I will tell you from experience, a good meta description can win a click over your competitors. Also, if your schema is written well and you can show reviews or other rich data in your SERP listing, it will draw more attention also gaining the click.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

Closed Thread