Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Is supplemental page can generate backlink

I have a blog which is in supplemental result site:inositol-hw.blogspot.com/, but strangly its giving backlink to my site, is there any expert who knows or have any experience about this behaviour of Google

Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Latest Blog:
None

supplement page can give back link but there link value is not greate as regular index page.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:39 AM
SEO Guru

many things seems to be very strange nowdays from Google. Supplement results is one of the strange thing.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yes if the page is unique and this is proven.
No if is duplicate and filtered out, we presume, but not proven.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:08 AM

Is this a bad thing? Having a lot of backlinks from supplemental?

Old 06-12-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam123 View Post
I have a blog which is in supplemental result site:inositol-hw.blogspot.com/, but strangly its giving backlink to my site, is there any expert who knows or have any experience about this behaviour of Google
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2163 View Post
supplement page can give back link but there link value is not greate as regular index page.
Says who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan007 View Post
Yes if the page is unique and this is proven.
No if is duplicate and filtered out, we presume, but not proven.
If it is recognized as a duplicate page, it isn't listed in either the regular or the supplemental index. That's what "filter" means.

A lot of specualtion and outright nonsense has been written about supplemental listings. Sometimes it pays to listen to Google and not forum "experts":

http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/faq.html#label

Quote:
3. Why is my site labeled "Supplemental"?

Supplemental sites are part of Google's auxiliary index. We're able to place fewer restraints on sites that we crawl for this supplemental index than we do on sites that are crawled for our main index. For example, the number of parameters in a URL might exclude a site from being crawled for inclusion in our main index; however, it could still be crawled and added to our supplemental index.

The index in which a site is included is completely automated; there's no way for you to select or change the index in which your site appears. Please be assured that the index in which a site is included does not affect its PageRank.
Google Hell?
By Matt Cutts
Tue, May 1 2007

Quote:
Andy Greenberg wrote an article for Forbes entitled Condemned To Google Hell about supplemental results... It’s easy to read the article and come away with the impression that Google’s supplemental results are some sort of search engine dungeon where bad pages go and sit in limbo forever, and that’s just not true.

I did some quick searching, and this post from January includes a pretty good rebuttal of the “you get into supplemental results for spamming or duplicate content, and then your pages stay there for a long time” idea. I’ll quote the most relevant paragraph:
As a reminder, supplemental results aren’t something to be afraid of; I’ve got pages from my site in the supplemental results, for example. A complete software rewrite of the infrastructure for supplemental results launched in Summer o’ 2005, and the supplemental results continue to get fresher. Having urls in the supplemental results doesn’t mean that you have some sort of penalty at all; the main determinant of whether a url is in our main web index or in the supplemental index is PageRank. If you used to have pages in our main web index and now they’re in the supplemental results, a good hypothesis is that we might not be counting links to your pages with the same weight as we have in the past. The approach I’d recommend in that case is to use solid white-hat SEO to get high-quality links (e.g. editorially given by other sites on the basis of merit).
That statement still holds. It’s perfectly normal for a website to have pages in our main web index and our supplemental index. If a page doesn’t have enough PageRank to be included in our main web index, the supplemental results represent an additional chance for users to find that page, as opposed to Google not indexing the page.

Okay, so that’s the general advice I’d highlight. It can also be the case that links that used to carry more weight for a website might not be counting as much. Let’s see if we can find an example of that in the article. Here’s a quote:
MySolitaire.com, another online diamond business, spent January to June of 2006 in the supplemental index. Amit Jhalani, the site’s vice president of search marketing, says he figures that cost his business $250,000 in sales, and he says he still doesn’t know why the site’s pages got Google’s thumbs-down.

“So many of the rules are vague,” Jhalani says. But he admits that he tried gray-area tactics like buying links from more established sites to juice his traffic.
Okay, so the VP of SEM for this site mentions that they tried buying links; maybe those links started to count for less. I decided to check into mysolitaire.com and see if I could find any other links that might have started counting for less. I did find a spam report where someone forwarded an email that appeared to be from mysolitaire.com...

A quick Google search finds similar emails that were sent to mailing lists. Reciprocal links by themselves aren’t automatically bad, but we’ve communicated before that there is such a thing as excessive reciprocal linking. ...

As Google changes algorithms over time, excessive reciprocal links will probably carry less weight. That could also account for a site having more pages in supplemental results if excessive reciprocal links (or other link-building techniques) begin to be counted less. As I said in January: “The approach I’d recommend in that case is to use solid white-hat SEO to get high-quality links (e.g., editorially given by other sites on the basis of merit).”

I thought Andy Beal had an interesting take on the Forbes piece as well.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yes, of course supplemental pages gives backlinks...

However, if pages are in supplemental it can affect the ranking of the site...

Old 06-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by minstrel View Post
If it is recognized as a duplicate page, it isn't listed in either the regular or the supplemental index. That's what "filter" means.
I have read what Matt has said before and minstrel your good and you know your SEO but are you sure about this? I never take serious notice of what people say without researching things myself. I am seeing 90% of pages in the supplemental index as duplicate content pages of my 1200 page site. I know many people agree with me. To prove this cross reference forum posts in supplemental index, they are often single posts posted in multiple forums by the same user.

I still stand my my original comment and hope to change you opinion on this ;-)

Last edited by Johan007; 06-12-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan007 View Post
I have read what Matt has said before and minstrel your good and you know your SEO but are you sure about this? I never take serious notice of what people say without researching things myself. I am seeing 90% of pages in the supplemental index as duplicate content pages of my 1200 page site. I know many people agree with me. To prove this cross reference forum posts in supplemental index, they are often single posts posted in multiple forums by the same user.

I still stand my my original comment and hope to change you opinion on this ;-)
See http://feeds.mattcutts.com/~r/mattcu.../~3/113284736/

Old 06-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Not read that one minstrel but it seems that supplemental pages do count for less and the duplicate pages I see have not been filtered out but given another chance because they are not absolute duplicates becuase the surrounding text is unique.

Last edited by Johan007; 06-12-2007 at 09:16 AM.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:37 AM

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/infras...-january-2007/

Quote:
A complete software rewrite of the infrastructure for supplemental results launched in Summer o’ 2005, and the supplemental results continue to get fresher. Having urls in the supplemental results doesn’t mean that you have some sort of penalty at all; the main determinant of whether a url is in our main web index or in the supplemental index is PageRank.
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-hell/

Quote:
this post from January includes a pretty good rebuttal of the “you get into supplemental results for spamming or duplicate content

Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

so nothing strange init

i saw it happen first time, but as matcutt says this is not a bad sign that your result is in supplemental, i am getting traffic & sale from my supplemental pages so i was not saying that, things seems strange to me because blog i was working on(my other blog) didnt gave a backlink to my site, but this blog (which i had mention in my first post) that only have 1 article posted and not updated since a long period is giving backlink even the content in it is almost duplicate. i am happy with this result, but i want to know whats happening init so that i will do same with my other pages.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
i am getting traffic & sale from my supplemental pages
supplemental page always display on search engine result page after regular index. so you will not get much traffic from this.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 AM

That's odd... I never saw blogs on blogger that have a lot of supplemental results like wordpress unless you are copying content...

Old 06-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Contributing Member

some reason of having suplemental pages is by changing its title, coz its happened to me. supplemental for i think it doesnt give backlinks. but iam also confused about it.. and how supplemantal page delete from the google index page...

Old 06-13-2007, 01:32 AM

as far i know, having a backlinks in supplemental site will not gain weight to SEs.. but it not penalized your site instead only a traffic can generate from a supplemental site..

Old 06-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam123 View Post
Last week my blog is on supplemental result. I just submit my sub pages to a directory who accept deep link and it takes a week to remove my supplemental.

Build your link here http://www.directorycritic.com/deep-...tory-list.html.
I hope it will help you good luck.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:11 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

minstrel give up with the quoting Matt on this thread we get the idea! We also know the communication between the techies and and PR people like Matt Cutts is week and often wrong and again I believe him to be wrong. The supplemental pages are often second class and full of duplicate content and I bet you the duplicate content may not pars PR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcer View Post
That's odd... I never saw blogs on blogger that have a lot of supplemental results like wordpress unless you are copying content...
Exactly, allot of near duplicate content get added to supplemental index... personally I would remove this dupe content becuase it has little chance of ranking.

Last edited by Johan007; 06-13-2007 at 02:28 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum