Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 AM

A few questions regarding SEO (PR, Outbound links)

Hi there,

I've been trolling this site for a few weeks because the company I work for is hiring someone for SEO and I've been researching to make sure that everything checks out, because some of the things seem fishy to me.

The first thing that struck me as odd was when I mentioned that we are already a pagerank of 2, even though we just launched. I presumed this to be the networking and promoting I've been doing, but our SEO guy told us that it was because we link to his site on the bottom of ours, and as his site is high volume it helps us. I tried telling him that outbound links do not affect PR but he disagreed, and really, who am I to argue with a professional?

The second thing that I am not sure about is that when we asked him to justify the high monthly maintenance cost for SEO, he started talking about how Google changes their PR qualifications every month, and that every month they get a report with all the changes Google made to the PR algorithm that they must adjust. Does this make sense?

Thank you!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've been researching here and other places but couldn't find answers, so all and any help is appreciated!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phooky View Post
Hi there,

I've been trolling this site for a few weeks because the company I work for is hiring someone for SEO and I've been researching to make sure that everything checks out, because some of the things seem fishy to me.

The first thing that struck me as odd was when I mentioned that we are already a pagerank of 2, even though we just launched. I presumed this to be the networking and promoting I've been doing, but our SEO guy told us that it was because we link to his site on the bottom of ours, and as his site is high volume it helps us. I tried telling him that outbound links do not affect PR but he disagreed, and really, who am I to argue with a professional?

The second thing that I am not sure about is that when we asked him to justify the high monthly maintenance cost for SEO, he started talking about how Google changes their PR qualifications every month, and that every month they get a report with all the changes Google made to the PR algorithm that they must adjust. Does this make sense?

Thank you!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've been researching here and other places but couldn't find answers, so all and any help is appreciated!

PR actually updates internally regulary. and (in green toolbar) every 3 months...

You can read this Beginner's Guide for SEO.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

the tool bar page rank update is every 3-4 months...
there is no exact prediction for Google!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy27 View Post
PR actually updates internally regulary. and (in green toolbar) every 3 months...

You can read this Beginner's Guide for SEO.
Wow that guide is exhaustive, great link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poksa View Post
the tool bar page rank update is every 3-4 months...
there is no exact prediction for Google!
Thank you! That is what I thought..

And what about his claim that he gets a report every month with Google PR algorithm updates?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

hey bro,

Here is the PR history update...

http://www.seocompany.ca/pagerank/pa...date-list.html

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phooky View Post
Hi there,

Thank you!

First of all, PR is not that important, second, outbound links does not also affect PR but you must have bigger inbound links than outbound links.
Third, Google updates PR every three or four months, or sometimes more than that.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 AM
Contributing Member

Your PR2 was not obtained by your website linking to the other website, outbound links do not make your PR bigger.

On the other hand, your SEO guy sounds like he is the chief of Google and has all the search engine algorithms.

Sincerely, overall, I wouldn't trust his services, not even a bit.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM

PR somehow is important in Link Exchange campaign...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum